Welder recommendations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welder recommendations
So im looking to buy a second hand welder as cheap as possible to weld up relocation manifolds, a rear archs mainly on the 306s for the workshop. So i dont really need something that can weld to girders together. Any suggestions, what do you use?
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
ive got a wolf 135amp turbo mig ive welded cages, exhaust manis, body work etc has very good control with 1-6 power levels non of this min max crap, also welded with stainless wire no problems.
http://www.ukhs.tv/Workshop/Welders/Comb...-and-Kit_2

The only thing i did was lengthen the earth wire and a bigger clamp.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
Do you use gas solid core, or gasless flux? ive never used anything but gas i weld a lot at work as is however this is only for "hobby" stuff at home and have found a few welders that will run gas/gasless setups depending upon requirement 100 amp to 150 amp. so not mega powerful but never use more than that even on my big work welder
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Gasless are supposedly rubbish, mate of mine bought a sealey might a couple of years ago and likes it, some of the sip MIGs are also good, and rtek are supposed to be very good, afaik they fix problems/re design certain things that the cheaper brands don't to make them a better job.
Thanks given by:
GAS! lol never use gasless thats for children. ive a 9l bottle attached to mine and use .6 wire generally for more control.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
fair enough really, gas is what i weld with at work and its fine, made my last manifold with it and never had any issues, ill make sure to get a gassed one then, im sure i can pick up a cheap second hand unit from somewhere, always for sale in places. i use both .6 and .8 at work, .6 for panel work and .8 for the big stuff
Thanks given by:
I.ve had a clarke machine mart blue one for years, 100amp gas was all i could afford, no fan cooled, using pub gas and 0.6 wire, paid for its self many times over and good for cars, exhausts, tin work etc.

If i was getting a new one, i'd go for a slightly more powerful one, gas, and fan cooled.

Would love a spot welder ( and a TIG, and a crank grinder, and a milling machine etc etc etc and a big warm and dry shed to put it all in, so a lottery win really ) , and seen some internet based home made jobies, have a clark arc welder also so am thinking of using that as the "supply" for a home made spot welder for the rust bucket that is a Ford.

Need " electrodes and arms, relay and on/off switch" to connect to the arc welder, hopefully that will work.
Thanks given by:
My dad sells welding equipment he might be able to help you out!? I can give you his number if you want?
Thanks given by:
The sealey supermig 180 is a good welder for the money, if it's going to be getting a lot of use I wouldn't go too cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Super-M...Swo6lWH2A2
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I'd get the least used, oldest, second hand mig of a known make you can.The modern stuff has inferior parts/windings. The Sealey 180 is a good shout ime. A friend has one that is atleast 15 years old, lives under minimum cover and still works even though it's only ever had minimum maintenance.
Thanks given by:
Cant get the 180 for two reasons, 1 cant afford it 2 been told 150 is the most I can run safely at workshop due to electrics lol. Spose I could always just not turn her up.
Thanks given by:
Our little clarke 150 turbo was brilliant considering it was running .8 wire and pub gas, only real gripe was the stupid power settings. You'd be surprised at what you can pick up for cheaps if you look hard enough though.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(04-02-2016, 01:13 AM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: I'd get the least used, oldest, second hand mig of a known make you can.The modern stuff has inferior parts/windings. The Sealey 180 is a good shout ime. A friend has one that is atleast 15 years old, lives under minimum cover and still works even though it's only ever had minimum maintenance.

This.

New stuff just has *shit* transformers in comparison to old stuff.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Clarke make very good value stuff, try and find a 150 or 151 Turbo Mig.
Thanks given by:
I've got this little baby welder and it's great for exhausts and bodywork. Maybe not exactly what you are looking for but at £00 brand new with a warranty it's pretty tough to beat.

Thanks given by:
there is that exact welder for sale down the road from me for £50 the only thing that puts me off is no gas. however your welds look reasonable considering
Thanks given by:
(04-02-2016, 01:54 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: there is that exact welder for sale down the road from me for £50 the only thing that puts me off is no gas. however your welds look reasonable considering

My welding is shit, someone with some actual skill/talent would do better no doubt with less spatter.

The welds on the seat rail were literally the first thing I ever welded with it after having not picked up a welder for a good couple of years.

I think it took me almost a whole a .9kg/£10 reel of flux cored wire to do the turbo relocation pipe and down pipe but in places I'd laid an extra bead or 2 of weld on some joints for strength.

If you want more pics of my welding with it I'm sure I can find some. Gotta do a patch on the 206 when I get some money for steel so can show you that or you can come and try it yourself before you buy one.

What about mini oxy-acetaline kit like this http://www.thewelderswarehouse.com/Weldi...g-Kit.html

[Image: gas-welding-kit-1-ext.jpg]

I'm tempted by one myself in addition to the mig cos 3150*C flame temp is pretty impressive, think there is a cutting torch for it and there is a couple of slightly better kits for similar price.
Thanks given by:
dont need an oxy kit atm. got a welder to buy first as i have welding to do lol. plus if you are using gas less on flux core it will splatter you need to clean down the welds with a wire brush afterwards.
Thanks given by:
Ive just upgraded my Clark pro 90 to this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371250910617?_...EBIDX%3AIT
So much better than my 90, runs smoother and lays down good welds every time, my 90 will be going on eBay it's pretty battered but still works.
I use 0.8 and pub co2 bottles, only see a slight difference in welds form argon mix, weldings more down to control and setting up welder correctly.
Thanks given by:
I want to learn welding. Should I just start out with a cheap no gas unit? Only want to learn welding exhaust, maybe body panel and other small stuff I might need as rails etc. What more do you get if you use gas as well?
Thanks given by:
(11-02-2016, 01:14 PM)I\m Iaitoo Wrote: I want to learn welding. Should I just start out with a cheap no gas unit? Only want to learn welding exhaust, maybe body panel and other small stuff I might need as rails etc. What more do you get if you use gas as well?

Buy a gas one, so much easier to learn with.
Get yourself a auto dimming helmet plus some welding gloves, I only use one glove on my left hand to steady my right while welding.
Thanks given by:
So just to let people know. I bought a little GASLESS sealy 100 mighty mig for £96 on amazon delivers. £180 direct from sealy. Used it tonight and I'm super impressed. I weld at work with my gassed one and it is better quality. However I achieved GOOD results for what I needed it for so its perfect for the small jobs.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dashcam Recommendations Toms306 95 18,534 17-06-2016, 06:51 PM
Last Post: 306carter
  tig welder advise Stef205 2 2,129 27-03-2016, 08:26 PM
Last Post: ozonehostile
  Car battery welder lolsteve 9 2,502 19-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Dum-Dum