Fuel Filter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Filter
A continuation on the occasional momentary loss of power thread, the tank lift pump was removed for cleaning with no trace found of water. The pump fine filter was about 2% blocked with some "black crap" which looled rubbery, and some silver "glitter" on the tank floor, but not much. I hope the glitter was not from the HP pump.

The tank pump unit is not "keyed" meaning the unit is refitted with best possible "pipe" alignment but the tank fuel gauge sender float and arm, can sit on the "shelf" in the tank, meaning when it sits on the shelf and does not go down with the fuel, the dash gauge will say there is still fuel in the tank, even when its run dry!!

The shelf must be to miss summut on the body of the car, else the tank will not fit the car.

Fuel Filter.

The pipes and top where removed and the old filter taken out. It was Black!!! the outer filter paper that is, with the inner side of the filter paper creamish.

A new MAN filter was fitted but seemed to be a very tight fit, and I didn't understand how the fuel would flow thru the reduced gap between filter and filter body. So I got a pug filter which dropped straight in. I did see a small amount of "yellow" bits on the filter unit floor, and extracted same with a syringe.

Bosch filter unit 0 450 907 001   filter numbers pa66 and gf25k which may be fram and Unipart numbers??

filter removed, the black one, knecht kx87 @ 83mm dia of plastic top end

replaced by MAN pu 922x @ 84mm dia of plastic end, was found to be slightly "crushed" and deformed when it was removed...

replaced by pug part 1906C5 @ 82mm dia plastic end, which dropped straight in!

So I suppose you get what you pay for.

Car has done about 50 miles since filter change, no leaks and performing ok, but will check for crap in fpr and fuel pressure sensor, along with the fuel pressure sensor wires as they seem to flap about in the breeze......

If the engine is cranked over with the fuel pressure regulator removed from the HP pump, will anything other than fuel and dirt shoot out, like a valve or anything??
Thanks given by:
Are Mahle filters any good? I've had a non start issue since replacing my fuel filter with a Mahle one
Thanks given by:
Mahle should be fine
Thanks given by:
Personally I wouldn't use any other than a genuine peugeot one tbf. The quality difference its quite big. Even though the price difference is only around £1 more.

Here are two I had. The one on the right was an eBay one that came with the filter housing I bought. It had something like 62 pleats. The one on the left is a peugeot one. It had 98 pleats and was a much neater fit in the housing.

[Image: 30bl8jr.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Mahle is an OE filter on some cars so should be good. The cheap ebay one probably wasn't even branded was it?
Thanks given by:
The white filter in the picture looks crushed, very similar to the man filter I fitted and then removed, being replaced by a pug one at £16 including vat, even after a small discount.

If the white one is a slightly larger diameter on the plastic ends, it must reduced the "gap" between the plastic ends and the filter body.
This must have an effect on fuel flow thru the filter  thru the smaller gap?

If I remove the FPR from the hp pump and crank the engine, will anything other than fuel and dirt shoot out?
Thanks given by:
Most likely not. But tbf I go by the theory of £1 extra per filter on the car isn't really a cost I'm not willing to spend if it helps stop £250 worth of damage to anything else Smile
Thanks given by:
not sure if the FPR removal question was answered, if removed from hp pump and engine cranked, will anything other than fuel shoot out please ?
Thanks given by:
Not sure about actual parts coming out but im sure you would probably throw up some faults about fuel pressure etc. Also risk filling the fuel rail with air as the injectors allow fuel through but with no feed from the pump? Are they self bleeding?
Thanks given by:
Common rail is all self bleeding yeah, just keep turning over and it'll fire.

I would hope parts won't shoot out if you remove the FPR but it' not something I've ever done. Keep out of the way if you do try it lol.
Thanks given by:
Tbf there shouldn't really be too much pressure. It has nothing to build up pressure against. It will probably come out quickly though so definitly put something next to it to catch what comes out so it doesn't go all over the engine haha
Thanks given by:
ok, Sunday's bag of sweets then! brrrrr its cold today but at least dry.

will be checking electrical connections under the bonnet today, spotted earth connection on r/h/s by the PS res, I know of the earths on the battery side....

Engine loom, do all electrical connections to the engine go straight to the ecu, or via the round connection plugs by the chassis rail, then to the ecu please??
Thanks given by:
Straight to the ecu is all the ecu specific connections, some stuff goes directly to the dials i *think*.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Check the oil pressure switch, this is a common earth for the clocks it seems and when it wasn't put back on my Tom's306 it caused all manner of strange issues with the clocks.. which was interesting to say the least..
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Found it:

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=10000
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Fram and WIX do good filters.. also,
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel Filter pug306driver 8 2,726 25-01-2019, 09:50 AM
Last Post: pug306driver
  fuel filter housing changed jason68 6 2,435 08-01-2018, 02:14 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
  fuel filter body removal pug306driver 9 2,414 07-06-2016, 06:48 AM
Last Post: Paul_13