Rental Laws

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rental Laws
Hi all,

So I'm just wondering about the rental legalities regarding security. Guessing some of you are landlords or know about this stuff?

Anyway, last month we received a letter to state a tenancy inspection was being done on a certain date and that a master key would be used to gain entry if you weren't home. The option was there to phone and ask for a specific time if you wanted to be home for the inspection although that was an 'opt in' thing.

Now I accept that inspections have to be done, but to just hand out a master key to 40 odd flats doesn't seem overly secure to me!? And how am I supposed to stop this person coming in while I'm sat on the toilet!? Fire safety regs say doors have to have thumb turned locks internally so it's not even like you can put the key in the door inside.

Fortunately I wasn't on the loo, as she'd got the master in the door just as I got to it from the chair! Anyway, I let it go but have been worried since about how many people have access to the key or if any have copies etc. Tbh I don't feel overly safe/secure because of this.

Then last night ~7pm we get a letter stating that all tanks in the flats are being changed starting from today but without a specific time or date - using the master key to gain entry. Surely that can't be legal!? My neighbour was away last night, he could come home to plumbers in his house with the contents of his boiler cupboard everywhere! Again we have been given the option to phone if we wish to be home to try and arrange a suitable day, which I have done and just waiting for a response now.

I get I don't own the place, but surely I have some rights to reasonable security both when home and out - afterall what's to stop the heating engineers nicking something while I'm out?

Again I know it needs doing but to give less than a days notice for some (I'm a high number so presumably not today if they're going numerically), no rough time or even day, no predicted time scale (is it a 2 hour job or an 8 hour one, does mains cold water and all electric need to be turned off for this time or just the hot valve and immersion trip switches??), and to just hand out the master key just doesn't seem right to me. Do other people accept this and enjoy strangers in their house while they're out or on the loo? Can I add any extra security that doesn't ruin fire safety?

Tom
Thanks given by:
Legally you've got to have had at least 24 hours written notice, otherwise if they gain entry without permission it's illegal - unless it's classed as an emergency (can smell gas etc...)
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
did she not ring the bell? before she attempted to unlock. As that is rather rude if not.
Thanks given by:
Get a chain for your door!
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2015, 10:01 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: Legally you've got to have had at least 24 hours written notice, otherwise if they gain entry without permission it's illegal - unless it's classed as an emergency (can smell gas etc...)

Hmm, pretty sure it will be 24hrs for me due to being a high number. Is that really the only rule? If I was working, 24hrs wouldn't be enough to get a day off.

(02-09-2015, 10:13 AM)procta Wrote: did she not ring the bell? before she attempted to unlock. As that is rather rude if not.

Yeah she did but waited literally 10 seconds before getting the key out. Don't know how quick you can finish and wipe your arse but I couldn't have done it that quick!

(02-09-2015, 10:14 AM)306carter Wrote: Get a chain for your door!

Got one but not sure if I'm allowed to fit it due to fire regs and the 'no drilling holes' thing in the original agreement. Confused Wouldn't be of any use if I was out of if a big hench guy has access to the master key anyway though. Confused
Thanks given by:
Just leave your key in the door. Cant turn the key from outside that way. Used to do this when i rented and didnt want mates with keys coming in.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
There's no key hole inside as I say, for fire regs they're thumb twist on the inside.
Thanks given by:
Thats f*cking stupid. Id be putting multiple door stops under there. Lol
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hotel-Security...235792e0bd

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
If the door opens outwards surly that wont work?? Inwards your onto a winner.
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2015, 11:36 AM)cully Wrote: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hotel-Security...235792e0bd

LMAO!  Rofl
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Lol, that's an expensive stick!
Thanks given by:
The 24 hour thing is still only with your permission, I'm sure?
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
I've no idea...but I haven't seen any plumbing/heating vans at all...wondering if they've written the wrong date. Confused
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2015, 06:09 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I've no idea...but I haven't seen any plumbing/heating vans at all...wondering if they've written the wrong date. Confused

tom when they do arrive, get the old tea and biscuits on the go! yes tom that means get that tea set out, that your gran gave you.
Thanks given by:
You must be joking, I don't own a kettle or mugs, let alone a box of tea... lol

All I could offer is a bottle of water... Tongue I expect they get plenty from the other flats (if anyone else is home lol).
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2015, 05:45 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: The 24 hour thing is still only with your permission, I'm sure?

Its only 24 hours for Serious situations iirc (note, not emergency when they can enter any time and that counts for any home even if you own it if its something that may put others around in danger). 
For routine work, I'm sure its 7 days
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2015, 07:15 PM)Toms306 Wrote: You must be joking, I don't own a kettle or mugs, let alone a box of tea...  lol

All I could offer is a bottle of water... Tongue  I expect they get plenty from the other flats (if anyone else is home lol).

tom you tight arse!! a kettle mugs and a box of tea is a must in any gaff! Even if its for the family to use.
Thanks given by:
I don't want people round...try giving them enough hints! lol
Thanks given by:
Tom i can tell you now from being someone who goes into peoples homes. If you offer a cup of tea or coffee straight away and deliver said cup with a biscuit or two, you will get a very polite and friendly worker who clears up after him self and does a good job.
A bacon sandwich also goes a very long way lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Equally as someone who has done various odd jobs in other peoples home (mostly my Nans elderly friends tbf) I absolutely hate being forced food and drink. lol

Plus I'd rather clear up myself than watch someone else spread their mess around the place... lol

Want them in and out asap anyway, not wasting time with drink or chat, they wont want to hang around if their presence causes an IBS attack anyway. Confused
Thanks given by:
Have you considered explaining (an abridged version of) your situation to the landlord? I appreciate that might be the last thing you want to do, but if they understand you want a specific date set for any work /inspections then it might make life a bit easier.
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2015, 07:32 PM)Niall Wrote: Tom i can tell you now from being someone who goes into peoples homes. If you offer a cup of tea or coffee straight away and deliver said cup with a biscuit or two, you will get a very polite and friendly worker who clears up after him self and does a good job.

exactly!
all I can say tom, is stop been a tight arse and man up :p
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2015, 07:45 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Have you considered explaining (an abridged version of) your situation to the landlord? I appreciate that might be the last thing you want to do, but if they understand you want a specific date set for any work /inspections then it might make life a bit easier.

Ha, an abridged version? As if I'm not concise... lol

Seriously though, yeah I have told the letting agent (had to explain why I needed to move with no income) but I expect they deal with so many people they can't remember who's who anyway, I don't want to cause them unnecessary hassle due to my own issues either. Never actually seen the landlord, not even sure if its a person or a company. lol

I have asked which day it'll be on but still waiting for a reply.

Even normal people can't be ok with randomers entering their place at random times with a master key though? Or are most people really that trusting and laid back?

(02-09-2015, 07:46 PM)procta Wrote:
(02-09-2015, 07:32 PM)Niall Wrote: Tom i can tell you now from being someone who goes into peoples homes. If you offer a cup of tea or coffee straight away and deliver said cup with a biscuit or two, you will get a very polite and friendly worker who clears up after him self and does a good job.

exactly!

Pfft, you should know me better than that Procta, 2 things I'll never do. Tongue
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2015, 07:54 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(02-09-2015, 07:45 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Have you considered explaining (an abridged version of) your situation to the landlord? I appreciate that might be the last thing you want to do, but if they understand you want a specific date set for any work /inspections then it might make life a bit easier.

Ha, an abridged version?  As if I'm not concise... lol

Seriously though, yeah I have told the letting agent (had to explain why I needed to move with no income) but I expect they deal with so many people they can't remember who's who anyway, I don't want to cause them unnecessary hassle due to my own issues either.  Never actually seen the landlord, not even sure if its a person or a company. lol  

I have asked which day it'll be on but still waiting for a reply.

Even normal people can't be ok with randomers entering their place at random times with a master key though?  Or are most people really that trusting and laid back?

(02-09-2015, 07:46 PM)procta Wrote:

exactly!

Pfft, you should know me better than that Procta, 2 things I'll never do. Tongue

aye tom, your lucky that I am not a member of admin, as I would have gave you the title of the forum pussy
Thanks given by:
That's an insult to vaginas surely. Confused
Thanks given by:
so i wouldnt have htought it would be unusual to have amaster key. Its 24 hours notice before entry. Definitely was for our uni house.

As for not waiting more than ten seconds before entering i would expect waiting a minute or so. 10 secs is stupid. Its like those delivery drivers who walk off straight after knocking.
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2015, 08:15 PM)Eeyore Wrote: As for not waiting more than ten seconds before entering i would expect waiting a minute or so. 10 secs is stupid. Its like those delivery drivers who walk off straight after knocking.

This tbh. Its just common courtesy. For all they know you could be in the shower, cooking naked or most likely in your case on the shitter. If I've got to go into a unattended house even if i know its empty ill still knock 2 or 3 times and wait a minute or two before going in

That said, i did some work in some student hostels a few years ago. All residents given 2 weeks notice. Was going into the rooms with the caretaker knocking loudly and shouting through a slightly ajar door to see if people are in (especially when the curtains are closed)
More often than i would like we would have walked in, seemingly no one in, be standing there working just to find the duvet move and me hit the bloody roof and almost punch the duvet lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Tbh I'm thinking of sticking a sign on the door for the day they're coming (if I get told). Something like 'Please knock & wait, I am in'.

Or alternatively 'If no answer I'm on the bog, for your own safety come back in an hour' lol
Thanks given by:
Alternatively, just stand in the hall bollock naked when they come in and stare at them. Bet they don't come in and finish that tank replacement Tongue
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Our most masculine rental yet... C.A.R. 8 1,838 03-03-2014, 08:33 AM
Last Post: Niall
  "Rental" 306 for track days? jammapic 45 23,742 05-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Jenkosowls
  Changes to towing laws ozonehostile 20 5,471 18-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Tallguy_2