Expansion tank!!! Help help!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expansion tank!!! Help help!
Where are you filling it up to? Also, are you doing any diagnosis, or are you just changing parts and hoping? Definitely do a sniff test before doing the head gasket, it's a hell of a job to do on a hunch. Confused
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
In filling it to the maximum level line. Yes I will be today it's going in the garage I'm going to get it up to temperature and maybe use some soapy water to see if I can see were she is leaking from. It's weird because after driving if I open bonnet and listen carefully there is a hissing sound coming from the cap( or that area ) on expansion tank
Thanks given by:
I'm gonna be wiring the fans today where is best place to wire them too? For instance to what plug? Some said the air con plug on the osf wing? This correct? Please help as need it done today c
Thanks given by:
Ok, not overfilling then, might be a daft question, but worth checking the basics.

Depends what the problem with the fans is, you know they don't cut in at low speed until about 93 anyway right? Can make a manual override using the aircon circuit as described earlier in the thread.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(22-08-2015, 08:52 AM)Poodle Wrote: Ok, not overfilling then, might be a daft question, but worth checking the basics.

Depends what the problem with the fans is, you know they don't cut in at low speed until about 93 anyway right? Can make a manual override using the aircon circuit as described earlier in the thread.

I'm going to sound stupid but run me threw the 'basics' u talk about. Yes is that easy to do? Could u give me better description of wat is needed to do to use aircon circuit thanks
Thanks given by:
Just the little things like not overfilling, heaters blow hot air and checking all the bleed points have water to them. Do you still have the egr connected?

Aircon mod: brown, four-pin plug on aircon bit on osf inner wing - unplug and bridge pins 1 and 3 iirc. Can't remember exactly, been a while since i last did one, a search should find the thread/post for you, it's been covered a lot, think there's a new thread in the electrical section on it.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah poodle thats right,

Get a bit of copper, or wire, and poke one end into the '1' hole for the pin and the other end into the '3' hole, tape it all up so you don't get it touching anywhere else THEN unplug the aircon pump plug, its situated on the pump, i think that is a white plug.

After you've done this, just turn the car on and press the AC button on, it should kick the fans into life Wink

I did threaten to make a guide for this as its a handy little fix, I'll go take some picks...il also take some pick of the rad cap Wink
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
(22-08-2015, 10:33 AM)highwayman306 Wrote: Yeah poodle thats right,

Get a bit of copper, or wire, and poke one end into the '1' hole for the pin and the other end into the '3' hole, tape it all up so you don't get it touching anywhere else THEN unplug the aircon pump plug, its situated on the pump, i think that is a white plug.

After you've done this, just turn the car on and press the AC button on, it should kick the fans into life Wink

I did threaten to make a guide for this as its a handy little fix, I'll go take some picks...il also take some pick of the rad cap Wink

Look I know I'm probably annoying u all now but I've got slimline fans on vechhile do I need to wire them to the aircon plug? Or simply bridge out the plug and should bring fans on as bloke I bought it from said it was wired to the standard Peugeot relay??? Sorry again
Thanks given by:
If they're wired in properly you only need to bridge the brown the plug, don't need to alter the wiring unless the previous owner done it wrong (possible!).
Thanks given by:
If it still has the AC pump you'll need to unplug that to else that will engage, seize then snap the aux belt which in turn could take out the cam belt lol
Thanks given by:
Just little update bought and brand new expansion tank today and 90 percent sure has cured the problem thanks guys
Thanks given by:
Good stuff, thanks for updating.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
good job just keep a eye on the tempsSmile
306 HDI 
stage 1+ remap
piper cross air filter
hoffmann race centre pipe
hoffmann de-cat pipe
sportex rear tailbox 3"

Thanks given by:
Yer will do i got 120mole journey tomoro so I'll keep u guys informed on temps should be Alryt c
Thanks given by:
I had this same problem for over a year now, car runs at normal temp 79/80 at driving and will slowly rise to 90 if in traffic for a good while. I think in 8 months I had to top the coolant up once as I was getting some overflow too.

I have tried new caps but to no avail. Unless I could try a new header tank too but I had a sniff test done and all was clear car starts and drives perfect.
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Problem is NOT solved!!!! Fuckin still leaking from some were wen driven hard! Really gettin on my tits!
Thanks given by:
Leaking?

I thought it was just overheating?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
On ring on the water distribution block?

Water pump gone?
Thanks given by:
If I drive it hard for abit and then open bonnet wen I get home there is coolant all over the fuel filter housing coolant on the power steering pump! Coolant on alternator and top of bottle? Any ideas x

Car has been sat at work since 7 and just got in it put igntion on and left on and I've got this flashing at me?!! Should I be worried [Image: a76d5e8eb2d8c49b3a712940543caabd.jpg]

As in the gauge in rev counter.
Thanks given by:
Oil is low.
Thanks given by:
You've almost no oil left, it's all in the coolant now... Tongue
Thanks given by:
No I've checked the oil last night and it's fine?
Thanks given by:
It's not the most accurate thing, are you parked on a hill? I would check it again now though just in case!
Thanks given by:
Lol I checked it and it was absolutkey fine fuckin thing! lol
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2015, 09:26 AM)conorpierce Wrote: If I drive it hard for abit and then open bonnet wen I get home there is coolant all over the fuel filter housing coolant on the power steering pump! Coolant on alternator and top of bottle? Any ideas x

Car has been sat at work since 7 and just got in it put igntion on and left on and I've got this flashing at me?!! Should I be worried [Image: a76d5e8eb2d8c49b3a712940543caabd.jpg]

As in the gauge in rev counter.

Thats all signs of HG gone I'm afraid.

Team orange engine bay. 

That or you have a split pipe/connection
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I was parked on a shitty road car was leaning ryt over to one side. Checked oil and was spot on level. What makes h say HG
Thanks given by:
All the coolant exploding all over your engine bay lmao
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Sounds either hg or major air lock.. Youve changed stat, so did you bleed it up properly?
Thanks given by:
Could be a dodgy water pump, the vines could be broken if it's a cheap plastic type or the impaler off the shaft?
Thanks given by:
another theory I had for mine was that the oil cooler had failed allowing some oil into the coolant, and the oil was killing the cap seal.

As a new cap helped somewhat but returned again but not as bad now that I have flushed the system a few times in an attempt to remove any oil

Because a year later and except for a slight leak overtime the car drives perfect does and does not overheat
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Expansion tank overflow/rad cap pug306driver 1 919 15-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  expansion tank seams to be leaking tuttyboy84 3 985 30-04-2014, 08:18 AM
Last Post: tuttyboy84