Expansion tank!!! Help help!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expansion tank!!! Help help!
I'm havin real issues when going for a spirited drive [emoji6] seems that coolant is gettin out of bottle wen driven hard I have replaced cap with brand new one and a secondhand bottle! Could some take picture of there's from the top with the cap on as I'm sure neither of my caps turns enough and sits ryt.... Please help as its a reall pain! Thanks
Thanks given by:
Sounds like the coolant is pressurising

Could be head gasket failure. What's your temp gauge saying?
Thanks given by:
My temperature guage sits between 80 and 90 and if I sit in traffic it will rise Beyond 90 but if I turn heating on it it goes down. I forgot to mention it is stage 2 remap and straight through exhaust. I have changed the oil since i first noticed it and the oil seemed absolutkey fine! No brown sludge no chocolate colour was perfectly black! Fuckin confused

(20-08-2015, 06:18 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: Sounds like the coolant is pressurising

Could be head gasket failure. What's your temp gauge saying?

(20-08-2015, 06:33 PM)conorpierce Wrote: My temperature guage sits between 80 and 90 and if I sit in traffic it will rise Beyond 90 but if I turn heating on it it goes down. I forgot to mention it is stage 2 remap and straight through exhaust. I have changed the oil since i first noticed it and the oil seemed absolutkey fine! No brown sludge no chocolate colour was perfectly black! Fuckin confused

Help plese
Thanks given by:
the cap is only half a turn to do it up.
306 HDI 
stage 1+ remap
piper cross air filter
hoffmann race centre pipe
hoffmann de-cat pipe
sportex rear tailbox 3"

Thanks given by:
Yer but it doesn't line up straight if u know wat I mean looks like it could do with turning a fraction more! Have u picture of wat yours is like as want to compare with mine
Thanks given by:
Thats normal, mine dosent look like its all the way 'home', its the overheating you wanna worry about Confused
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
Half a turn on those is fine.

But thats running too hot imho.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yer I think it has something to do with the fact the fans never cut in! They need wiring up!

As they have never worked since I've owned it...but it doesn't use water unless it overflows wen hard driving.,,
Thanks given by:
Still sounds a bit iffy, how 'spirited' was this drive? HDi's don't spurt water out usually, unless summit is a miss...
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
mine is stage 2 etc and on a hard drive (spirited) it never goes above 85*c, have you tried another cap as i bought a new one as mine seal was missing and it didnt fit right, so bought one direct from pug
Thanks given by:
Hmmmmm normally wen I've been holding revs to like 4k but then I don't normally hold that long only wen goin for hard drive lets just clear it up...its not spitting out but wen I open bonnet there is coolant on side of fuel filter housing and on top of bottle and down side of bottle....

Also since the day I bought it the bloke said to me that it due to it running 21..7 psi it gets quite hot so if temperature ever goes over 90 to let off and take it easy...I'm just worried tbh gonna try get fans working this weekend on a manual switch so as soon as it hits 80 I can just flick the fans on
Thanks given by:
(20-08-2015, 07:33 PM)conorpierce Wrote: Hmmmmm normally wen I've been holding revs to like 4k but then I don't normally hold that long only wen goin for hard drive lets just clear it up...its not spitting out but wen I open bonnet there is coolant on side of fuel filter housing and on top of bottle and down side of bottle....

Also since the day I bought it the bloke said to me that it due to it running 21..7 psi it gets quite hot so if temperature ever goes over 90 to let off and take it easy...I'm just worried tbh gonna try get fans working this weekend on a manual switch so as soon as it hits 80 I can just flick the fans 
dose your temp goto 90 when your driving???
306 HDI 
stage 1+ remap
piper cross air filter
hoffmann de-cat pipe
sportex rear tailbox 3"

Thanks given by:
(20-08-2015, 07:58 PM)craig306 Wrote: [quote='conorpierce' pid='552569' dateline='1440099204']
Hmmmmm normally wen I've been holding revs to like 4k but then I don't normally hold that long only wen goin for hard drive lets just clear it up...its not spitting out but wen I open bonnet there is coolant on side of fuel filter housing and on top of bottle and down side of bottle....

Also since the day I bought it the bloke said to me that it due to it running 21..7 psi it gets quite hot so if temperature ever goes over 90 to let off and take it easy...I'm just worried tbh gonna try get fans working this weekend on a manual switch so as soon as it hits 80 I can just flick the fans 
dose your temp goto 90 when your driving???
[/Ermmm only if I have been proper thrashing it but under normal driving conditions no...only wen sitting in long ques of traffic as the fans don't seem to work.,, please help me guys I'm worried its f*cked
Thanks given by:
if you look in the o.s.f wing there is a air con pipe with a connector on it (behide the head light) , pull it off and put a wire on pins 1 and 3, put the air con on and the fans should come on.

then you have a manual fan switch
306 HDI 
stage 1+ remap
piper cross air filter
hoffmann de-cat pipe
sportex rear tailbox 3"

Thanks given by:
Do u think this could be causing it to overheat? Wen it gets to 90 I normally put the heating on full and it goes down..,,have u got a picture of said plug?
Thanks given by:
well it might be worth putting a thermostat in it, never heard of a hdi going past 90 when driving! and getting the fans sorted.

with the pic its dark now,
306 HDI 
stage 1+ remap
piper cross air filter
hoffmann de-cat pipe
sportex rear tailbox 3"

Thanks given by:
If its going over 90 when driving hard then something isnt right.
Unless the map is AWFUL then there is no reason it should be getting that hot
Just to check... You do habe a FMIC yeah?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yes have a fmic....hmmm I was told it was HDI tuning stage 2 map...and I've spoken to Steve and he tells me that it is. Hmm yea that's my weekend plan get fans running and maybe new thermostat.( I was gonna cut thermostat out?)
Thanks given by:
(20-08-2015, 08:24 PM)conorpierce Wrote: Yes have a fmic....hmmm I was told it was HDI tuning stage 2 map...and I've spoken to Steve and he tells me that it is. Hmm yea that's my weekend plan get fans running and maybe new thermostat.( I was gonna cut thermostat out?)

don't do that, the engine need to run at a certain temp.

this might help too 

http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/wsh...fanop1.htm
306 HDI 
stage 1+ remap
piper cross air filter
hoffmann de-cat pipe
sportex rear tailbox 3"

Thanks given by:
Hmm ok so maybe new thermostat at weekend?
Thanks given by:
(20-08-2015, 08:27 PM)conorpierce Wrote: Hmm ok so maybe new thermostat at weekend?

yes tri a new stat with fresh coolant. maybe flush the cooling system with a hose too. 

then tri it again.
306 HDI 
stage 1+ remap
piper cross air filter
hoffmann de-cat pipe
sportex rear tailbox 3"

Thanks given by:
Hmm ok if head gasket gone is it a big job or reckon I could get it done in a day. I'm very confident with tools and have access to ramp tools and head skimmers with same day turn around?
Thanks given by:
Main problem is space restrictions, you can drop it off the top mount on a jack for better access. Doable in a day if your engineering shop is quick and you don't mind working late. Autodata lists it as 12.5 hours, but it's easily less than that if you have everything ready and get on with it.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(20-08-2015, 08:52 PM)Poodle Wrote: Main problem is space restrictions, you can drop it off the top mount on a jack for better access. Doable in a day if your engineering shop is quick and you don't mind working late. Autodata lists it as 12.5 hours, but it's easily less than that if you have everything ready and get on with it.

Hmm yer there fairly quick....but don't want to do it unless it's seriously needed! Maybe easier to put low mileage 2nd hand engine in?
Thanks given by:
Meh, once it's done... Better the devil you know imo, depends if there's anything else wrong with it as well i guess.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(20-08-2015, 09:28 PM)Poodle Wrote: Meh, once it's done... Better the devil you know imo, depends if there's anything else wrong with it as well i guess.

Yer I know what ur saying,,, hmm I'll try the thermostat and fans this weekend see if it makes any diffrence.
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't be overly worried about the temperature reaching 90 degrees, that's still completely safe. I got mine past 100 before driving without fans in traffic, no damage resulted. I've got customers in places like Israel who run well above 100 constantly on their HDIs, but obviously it's really hot over there so this is expected.

If the cap is leaking, you've either got a bad seal on the cap, or the header tank lid isn't seating the cap properly. At 90 degrees this cap shouldn't be leaking at all. I don't think you need to go changing your head gasket, just fix the leaking cap.
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Thanks Steve for the re assurance I'll take a picture wen I'm back from work of the coolant that comes out.....I've got a new cap on it...maybe I'll try new header tank before I go down head gasket route
Thanks given by:
as a matter of interest, did the new pug exp tank cap have a seal, where the top of the exp tank rim seals to the top of the tank cap, so any overflow is sealed within the small chamber and goes out thru the overflow stub, rather than leak past the cap to exp tank rim and go all over the alternator??

the cap will have a pressure seal on the sprung part of the cap with the "cooling down depression vent valve, in the middle of the pressure seal sprung area.

I have an expansion tank expansion tank, that holds the pushed out coolant due to expansion, and allows it to travel back to the pug expansion tank when cooling, so the pug expansion tank is always full. works well so far.

any cold patches on the rad when system is warm??
Thanks given by:
Hmm I'm gonna strip it down this weekend have good look at rad and bottle. Yer well thAt is wat I'm worried Bout it leaks out and goes all over alternator and fuel filter housing!!!!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Expansion tank overflow/rad cap pug306driver 1 909 15-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  expansion tank seams to be leaking tuttyboy84 3 978 30-04-2014, 08:18 AM
Last Post: tuttyboy84