Aircon starts itself when exterior is warm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aircon starts itself when exterior is warm
Hey guys,

So I read that there is a method to bypass the automatic starting of the aircon on the Pug306 Ph1. The reason you may ask, whenever its warm outside, or the car has been parked in the sun and its heated up, the aircon will starts itself up when the car starts. Its actually a pretty cool feature for summer especially, but I want to able to tell the car when I want it on.
Is there a guide on how to bypass this? I am aware that behind the console is a mess and if you mess up 1 lil thing it can destroy the functionality of a lot, but its worthwhile investigating.

Thanks!
Ex cars: '86 Opel Monza 1.6 GLS Puke & '97 Opel Astra 180ie 16v - oil spill & '07 VW Polo 1.9TDI (stolen) - Awesome car!

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life." - Henry David Thoreau
Thanks given by:
So you have a Ph 1 with Aircon and it works!?!?!????
Mate, don't touch anything IMHO.... Eventually it will break itself and the pain will go away Big Grin

In the light above your head when your driving is a tiny vent, in that vent there is a temperature sensor that the automatic climate control works from...Pull it out and unplug it...Wink i hope that works for you mate....otherwise i would just leave it Wink I think its a couple of screws behind the actual light.
Thanks given by:
Well Im pretty sure a 1997 is a Phase 1 right?! Tongue

It works like a charm yeah. In Cyprus if you dont have an aircon youre in big trouble. Even if it costs 100 Euro to fix it, you gotta pay it sadly. Summer is just too damn hot here! Not to mention there is zero parking cover as well, so your car ends up getting baked in the sun and damaging the paint job too.

Hmm overhead light unit, wonder if I should play with it or just leave it. Something like that I tend to think may cause more trouble than its worth really Sad
Ex cars: '86 Opel Monza 1.6 GLS Puke & '97 Opel Astra 180ie 16v - oil spill & '07 VW Polo 1.9TDI (stolen) - Awesome car!

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life." - Henry David Thoreau
Thanks given by:
I don't think its that bad, people over here have unplugged the climate fan as the get shitted up with smoke and dust and make a right annoying noise. I have don't it myself but my ac doesn't work lol maybe someone can give you a second opinion when they have a look at this thread.

It is pretty easy to do though...from memory you pop the light out and behind it there is two torx screws (shock, horror) Unscrew them and the panel comes down. On the back of that panel is the unit and an orange plug (i think) leading to the temp sensor, pull it out and i think it all goes away Smile

As i say, someone can confirm Wink
Thanks given by:
It turns on automatically to make sure the pump doesn't seize when not in regular use, just so you know.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: timpug
(17-04-2015, 05:44 AM)Poodle Wrote: It turns on automatically to make sure the pump doesn't seize when not in regular use, just so you know.

Oooh now youre a hero! Awesome, I didnt even think of that! Sheesh! So I should be glad and NOT disconnect anything then!

Good job sir!

Thanks given by:
I spent ages getting my AC working and I live in Glasgow!! Lol

Don't touch a thing. It's doubling the value of your car!! Wink
Thanks given by:
AC FTW!

Totally worth having, even in the UK!
Thanks given by:
Yeah its nice when it works but disconnecting that thing above your head wouldn't stop it from working altogether, just automatically Wink
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
So you have working AC and want to stop it from working..? Hmmm... well you could just crack off one of the pipes, but the tree hugger in me tells me not to mention that lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2015, 08:19 PM)Connor Wrote: So you have working AC and want to stop it from working..? Hmmm... well you could just crack off one of the pipes, but the tree hugger in me tells me not to mention that lol

He wants to stop the auto on feature, which is pretty annoying i will add. Especially when you can hardly see the tiny green light in daylight  Angry
Thanks given by:
The auto on is just something all modern cars do, especially when you flick the dial to blowing air at the windscreen. I leave the air con on all the time in my car*. Its much more pleasant.

*I must state not in the 306. That no longer has air con and even when it did it didnt work! lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
my garage now has the 306 aircon and it works just as it did in the car.......NOT!

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Drivers exterior door handle chylledapps 0 801 26-07-2015, 04:54 PM
Last Post: chylledapps
  exterior from Ph1 to Ph3 vandalzd 7 1,602 06-05-2015, 12:15 PM
Last Post: maxzy
  Exterior temp sensor display j-n-88 5 1,518 13-01-2015, 02:25 PM
Last Post: j-n-88