McGill Motorsport Deep Dish steering Wheel (omp corsica style)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McGill Motorsport Deep Dish steering Wheel (omp corsica style)
Thumbs Up 
So have been wanting an OMP Corsica for a while now, Im fairly tall and with the seat right back the steering wheel is a little too far away.

Haven't been able to justify the high price tag of a new one, or waiting for a decent enough one to come up second hand at a good price.

Ended buying one of these from McGill Motorsport - they seem well rated from other onine reviews, and at under £40 posted I didn't have much to loose.

Initial impressions are good - next day delivery included in the price, and the steering wheel feels absolutely fine. The plastic horn button in the middle is cheap for sure, and I don' know how well it will wear - but given it's suede I doubt it'll look great forever.

Strength wise, I can't feel any flex in it - and I've bolted it to a decent MOMO steering wheel boss.

So I'd rather have one of these than pay a premium for a 'fake' omp one that has a logo on it and fake box to go with.

Positioning is much better for me, as brings the steering wheel that bit closer - although reaching for indicators is a stretch.

Tried making a quick vid to show how strong the wheel was, not the best, iphone camera doesn't seem to be a particularly wide angle

[Image: IMG_0959_zps9c213ed2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looks good mate Smile that's what I like about mine it's not genuine but has no flex and hasn't worn out
Thanks given by:
Suede deep dish makes so much difference.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
The gauges !! Love it

Are you getting used to stretching your hands.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Good to see you got a good wheel. Not my cuppa tea being a fairly short guy. But always liked the look of these.

Those gauges though!!! Omg I'm half mast
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Thank you very much for that.

I'm guessing the boss makes a difference.

When I get round to a new steering wheel this is the one I'll get.
Thanks given by:
How's the wheel holding up after a months usage?

Did it come with the resistor for the airbag?
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2015, 09:41 AM)mackat Wrote: How's the wheel holding up after a months usage?

wheel is fine and holding up,

suede is compacting as to be expected, and I do a lot of miles - but it hasn't come apart!

nope no resistor included (do any of them come with one?) - did come with a couple of lengths of wire for wiring up the horn button though
Thanks given by:
(27-02-2015, 03:53 PM)zx_volcane Wrote:
(24-02-2015, 09:41 AM)mackat Wrote: How's the wheel holding up after a months usage?

wheel is fine and holding up,

suede is compacting as to be expected, and I do a lot of miles - but it hasn't come apart!

nope no resistor included (do any of them come with one?) - did come with a couple of lengths of wire for wiring up the horn button though

Cheers for the update - Gonna be adding one to my wish list.
You used a momo boss, right?

hmm...what do people do about the airbag light?
Thanks given by:
Just take the bulb out
Thanks given by:
(27-02-2015, 10:11 PM)Frosty Wrote: Just take the bulb out

I'm pretty sure you mean lamp
Thanks given by:
1.8ohm resistor wired in place of the airbag Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
(27-02-2015, 10:53 PM)cully Wrote: 1.8ohm resistor wired in place of the airbag Wink

aha...! much easier than taking the instruments apart Smile
Thanks given by:
Looks extremely similar to my old one from R.M.D and rest assured not trying to put yours down at all, however at first my one was ok but then I tried an OMP one in another car and the rigidity is in another league (being a tall bloke like you i sometimes find myself using the wheel to pull me out of the bucket seat) - i'd keep an eye on ebay for a bargain one if you can, genuinely quite a bit better
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2015, 06:05 PM)Chr1sch Wrote: Looks extremely similar to my old one from R.M.D and rest assured not trying to put yours down at all, however at first my one was ok but then I tried an OMP one in another car and the rigidity is in another league (being a tall bloke like you i sometimes find myself using the wheel to pull me out of the bucket seat) - i'd keep an eye on ebay for a bargain one if you can, genuinely quite a bit better

Still struggling to find a fault with it

There is more flex in the height adjustable steering column than the wheel

Of course if a genuine one pops up for the right price then i'll be interested, but they seldom do
Thanks given by:
Link? My suade is looking VERY tiered!

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
http://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/13-rally...spars-301/

Poss that 1
Thanks given by:
even the OMP ones the airbag resistor is an optional extra. Doesnt come with it as standard as far as i know.
Thanks given by:
(06-03-2015, 01:41 PM)Eeyore Wrote: even the OMP ones the airbag resistor is an optional extra. Doesnt come with it as standard as far as i know.

The resistor should come with the boss kit.. Did with the one I just bought Wink
Thanks given by:
i do have to ask.. were you having some sort of competition with a mate to see just how many dials you could get all over your dash?
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(09-03-2015, 10:08 PM)toseland Wrote: i do have to ask.. were you having some sort of competition with a mate to see just how many dials you could get all over your dash?

heh, and the lcd display for the vnt isn't even lit up in that pic Wink
Thanks given by:
Quick shot of mine with a MOMO boss - I find the driving position with the wheel closer more comfortable.

Thanks given by:
I also have one of these with a genuine OMP boss.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Can someone measure distance between the standard bolt on flange (back of the boss) to the front rim of the wheel?
And what size bosses is everyone using?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2015, 08:24 PM)Piggy Wrote: Can someone measure distance between the standard bolt on flange (back of the boss) to the front rim of the wheel?
And what size bosses is everyone using?

This is the MOMO I used: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOMO-Steering-...43c24b0bd8

Was about £10 cheaper when I bought it though.

Unless you have freakishly long hands you won't be flicking the indicators on/off any more, tend to use my whole hand now.
Will try and get a measurement for you later today.
Thanks given by:
Dunno if this helps:

Big Grin
Thanks given by: Piggy
Thanks fella Smile ThumbsUp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Sorry to bump this thread guys but I'm looking at getting a McGill wheel for my '6. Mackat and zx_volcane, are the wheels that you have pictured the 2 or 3 inch variety? Thanks! Smile
Thanks given by:
Another update on this for those that are interested

Suede has compacted - would expect this regardless!

Horn in the middle has broken / fallen out - surprising as I've not gone anywhere near it

Still a very solid wheel, especially given the miles I have done with it.

and could still buy at least another 2 before I get anywhere near the price of an OMP
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Steering wheel NaughtonGAA 11 4,869 06-01-2017, 09:32 AM
Last Post: zx_volcane
  Aftermarket steering wheel 328isport 3 1,647 04-10-2016, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  phase 1 steering wheel removal Iaitoo 3 1,188 21-11-2015, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Iaitoo