Hdi Engine change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hdi Engine change
Hi all,

I need to change the engine on my ph3 hdi, how hard are they to do and whats the best way to take it out?
slam panel off and out the top/front, or subframe off and drop engine and box?

anything I need to look out for?

cheers
steve
Thanks given by:
Bumper/slam panel/rad etc then lift it out the front 

Balance bar on the engine crane helps massively
Thanks given by:
It makes it a bit easier but you don't need to remove the slam
Unplug wiring loom
Disconnect fuel pipes, coolant pipes and PAS pipes
Pull the shafts
Disconnect gear linkage and exhaust.
Remove airbox n battery.
Connect a engine crane
Remove engine mounts.
Lift out
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(10-12-2014, 07:44 AM)Paul_13 Wrote: Bumper/slam panel/rad etc then lift it out the top

Balance bar on the engine crane helps massively

Balance bar?  Pfft, old seatbelts are free... lol

Personally I'd remove the front end, pulling the engine and 'box out is tight enough as it is without trying to get it straight up and over the rads etc without causing damage, its only a few bolts and nuts anyway.  See my Moonstone Project thread for pics of that. Smile
Thanks given by:
so its easier to remove the engine and box together? thanks for the replies lads Smile
Thanks given by:
So much easier
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Out the top is a disaster.

Remove the bumper, slam, radiators, hitch to engine crane to take weight, remove engine mounts, swing engine 90*, lift slightly for crossmember and straight out the front of the car.. Out the top will only end in you destroying bits on the way out IMHO.

Tried both ways, settled on out the front every time now.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I've heard you can drop the engine out the bottom attached to the subframe, the struts come out with it as well.

Obviously you'll need to get the car up in the air to do it this way.
Thanks given by:
You can, but it's a technique best used with a 2 post lift, as you can lift the chassis off the engine. It's how they're installed in the factory AFAIK, but personally having done it a fair few times I'd do as others have suggested.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Ive got a 2 post lift all the three times ive had engine out ive pulled front off. So much easier that way
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
If you've got access to a lift you'd be daft to do it out the front imo, got MILES of room to play with once the subframe drops, it's only like 8 bolts. If you are doing it on the floor definitely take the front end off, gives you a lot more room to maneuvre and means you dont have to worry about holes in the rad.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
cheers all, if I can find a cheap replacement it will be coming out the front and bin the aircon at the same time !
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noisy Engine After Cambelt Change tigerstyle 13 9,020 18-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Last Post: toseland
  So today I went to change an engine mount... jordanhdi 8 3,428 11-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Mattcheese31
  Help, engine revs hanging high in between gear change Hdi and proud of it 9 2,951 17-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Last Post: Midnightclub