Help, engine revs hanging high in between gear change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help, engine revs hanging high in between gear change
Evening dudes,

On the way home tonight, the engine revs were staying high inbetween
gear changes which was not nice to drive with TMI,

cars not running hot, and theres nothing hanging off it, and i'm not looking forward to
the drive in tomorrows traffic. Helpp! Any ideas please

Thanks
Smile
Thanks given by:
Sounds like it could be the TPS (throttle position sensor).

When it happens try turning the car off and on again and it should reset itself. If it doesn't it could be to far gone and will need replacing.
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2014, 08:50 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Sounds like it could be the TPS (throttle position sensor).

When it happens try turning the car off and on again and it should reset itself. If it doesn't it could be to far gone and will need replacing.

Cheers mate, I'll check it out in the morning
Smile
Smile
Thanks given by:
or the clutch switch as that cuts the fuel a little when you have the clutch pressed
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2014, 09:51 PM)madmadmax Wrote: or the clutch switch as that cuts the fuel a little when you have the clutch pressed

Never known a car to do the following symptoms even with a faulty clutch switch?
[Image: ForumSignature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2014, 09:55 PM)JamesG Wrote:
(16-04-2014, 09:51 PM)madmadmax Wrote: or the clutch switch as that cuts the fuel a little when you have the clutch pressed

Never known a car to do the following symptoms even with a faulty clutch switch?

I tried coasting with no touchee clutchee and blipped the throttle, it hung around 2500 revs for a couple of secs before dropping back to tickover so i can count out the clutch switch
but i haven't checked the tps yet
another job to do tomorrow.
Cheers DudesSmile
Smile
Thanks given by:
Could just be a sticky accelerator cable, if so wd40 should fix it temporarily at least. Failing that i believe there's a guide for cleaning your tps in the guide section.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(17-04-2014, 06:23 AM)Poodle Wrote: Could just be a sticky accelerator cable, if so wd40 should fix it temporarily at least. Failing that i believe there's a guide for cleaning your tps in the guide section.

Yeah that does sound like the cable sticking. If you try taking the cable off the tps and pull it through its range does it feel smooth or scratchy?
Thanks given by:
Busy at work, have to do it later strangely seemed ok this morning
Very weird
Smile
Thanks given by:
They do hang a fair bit as stock.. maybe just having a bit of a moment? Ours seems to do it worse than normal occasionally
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noisy Engine After Cambelt Change tigerstyle 13 9,059 18-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Last Post: toseland
  Engine revs dropping when braking scfc_151 9 2,619 24-05-2016, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Ruan
  So today I went to change an engine mount... jordanhdi 8 3,436 11-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Mattcheese31