My first ever attempt at a light restoration

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first ever attempt at a light restoration
At least your list is much shorter than mine wasSmile
Thanks given by:
(30-11-2014, 09:43 PM)306Dan Wrote: At least your list is much shorter than mine wasSmile

You know your stuff mate, thats the difference Wink
Thanks given by:
"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM"

This is what happens when you leave an all weather gazebo out in 40MPH gusts

Major setback that hurt my wallet!

Enjoy my heart break:

[attachment=20666]

This was resined in to concrete and the four steel support legs snapped

[attachment=20667]

As she stands Angry

[attachment=20668]
If anyone can recommend to me a proper heavy duty gazebo, then please let me know Smile

Moral of the story, Don't be lazy, Take the bastard thing down when your not using it!
Thanks given by:
machine mart does stuff like that for car storage, shame about the wind!
Also loving the new toy! I want a new welder! got my eye on a good decent one.
Thanks given by:
Wats a mess at least it kept everything dry Smile

Better than finding it 2 door down in someone's green house lol
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Any updates? Did you fix the gazebo or buy a replacement?
Thanks given by:
Really liking this thred. Good luck with the rest of the project. 

Sod what people say about what it's worth. It's what it's worth to you. So many people have said the same thing about my pug. But I am not contented to drive a modern piece of boring Eco shite with no character 

Best advice I can offer is take your time. Working on these cars is relatively easy but can be very time consuming.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Flying the Flag for the XU10J2TE

You Tube: 832 Performance
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2015, 12:20 AM)Jiffy Wrote: Any updates? Did you fix the gazebo or buy a replacement?

Jiffy, I have had some stronger box section support legs fabricated up, and I have welded some cleats on to them so I can fit some 3/2 timbers to really strengthen it up.

Pics to come, was going to put it up this weekend, but were due some 70-100mph gails this weekend Sad

Thanks for reading and posting Smile

(05-01-2015, 08:42 PM)PUGNUT_XS Wrote: Really liking this thred. Good luck with the rest of the project. 

Sod what people say about what it's worth. It's what it's worth to you. So many people have said the same thing about my pug. But I am not contented to drive a modern piece of boring Eco shite with no character 

Best advice I can offer is take your time. Working on these cars is relatively easy but can be very time consuming.

"Sod what people say about what it's worth. It's what it's worth to you. So many people have said the same thing about my pug. But I am not contented to drive a modern piece of boring Eco shite with no character" This!! plus they look better too Smile.

Thanks for the comment, helps keep me motivated Tongue

Things have come to a halt for now due to the weather, christmas eating money, my cardboard box garage and nearly snapping my thumb off at work lol the list goes on.

Looking at her in the garden makes me sad.

My daily also requires a timing belt change, so unfortunatley, that is top priority.

More progress to come once the gazebo goes back up, The engine bay is almost ready to be welded and painted. 

I have spent too much money on parts now to give up Tongue

Cheers for the comment Smile
Thanks given by:
yeah keep the daily in top working order! my Hdi I think will need a new exhaust before the metro gets sorted.
Thanks given by:
I use an old tent that's done 4 months tied to the car on one side and bugger all else, other side is wedged up to the garage wall. That stood up to 50mph+ gusts for a couple of weeks just fine and cost feck all. It only covers the engine bay area, but you could just start with a bigger tent lol. Sounds like you've got it covered though, look forward to seeing some more updates on this.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Here is the grand unveiling of my "MINT" replacement engine which has covered 76k out of a VTS.

I finally managed to get it in to the shed for painting, fitting new Gates timing belt, new clutch set and fitting the gearbox.

[attachment=21042]

[attachment=21043]
Thanks given by:
great to see a replacement block been sorted! always fun when you start the build up of the unit! Me and my dad had the replacement engine in the car with in a matter of days and on its wheels again, with in a matter of a week. One of the lads who was going to help me. Decided to pop down until to give a help in hand but was shocked to see, that me and my dad had got the engine swopped over and the old one had been weighed in.
Thanks given by:
Procta, its going to take me months never mind a couple of days, your much smarter than me Tongue and the entire project is a lone wolf project.

I had that engine sorted out a week after I got the car, but thats it finally in proper shelter rather than a crappy plastic cover.

Took me all day to clear out that space for it in the shed lol
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2015, 07:37 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote: Procta, its going to take me months never mind a couple of days, your much smarter than me Tongue and the entire project is a lone wolf project.

I had that engine sorted out a week after I got the car, but thats it finally in proper shelter rather than a crappy plastic cover.

Took me all day to clear out that space for it in the shed lol

it took me nearly 4 years to get my 1st vvc metro on the road! engine side of things took a week, 2 years on parts!
Thanks given by:
Tiny little (boring) update for everyone.  Due to the poor weather up here, I have been unable to build up my strengthened gazebo and due to me wanting to do the job properly, restoring and spraying the engine bay has ground to a halt for now. 

I am clearing out space in the garage so I can paint and fit the gearbox to the replacement engine.

For now though, I had a bash at cleaning up the front calipers.  I Dipped them in some Deox C solution after a wire wheel and mild chisel, dipped them back in the Deox C over night then wire brushed again.

The results:

[attachment=21158]

Not entirely satisfied with the results so will repeat the above process again before cleaning and painting.  I might try getting the rear calipers shot blasted first. Apologies for the poor photo quality buy you get the idea!

[attachment=21159]

Is it just me or since the forum update, can I only upload one image at a time per post?

Thanks given by:
nice to see the cleaning side of things has started!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diablo GTi6 restoration Joep83 2 2,231 27-09-2018, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Joep83
  S1 106 rallye. Restoration time! ozonehostile 244 97,767 10-01-2016, 04:00 PM
Last Post: ozonehostile
  Restoration xud11 akuma406 55 16,495 30-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Last Post: akuma406