My first ever attempt at a light restoration

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first ever attempt at a light restoration
Hello everyone, as most of you are aware, I'm new to the forum so a big hello to everyone and thanks for viewing Smile

I managed to pick up a ph2 GTI6 on the cheap, due to the fact that the timing belt had snapped. The car had sat in a garage for a year gathering dust, untill I bought her Smile.

I never saw a GTI6 in the flesh before so I had to have it. I always wanted and liked the idea of a project to learn from.

I have always been a petrol head but never had the balls to actually commit to a project and learn, untill now.

The car got delivered to me after parting with the cash. This is how I got her (apologies for the low quality pics).

[attachment=19901]
[attachment=19902]
[attachment=19903]
Thanks given by:
Is your finger holding up the bonnet!? lol

Looks like a good start...was it cheap??
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Excuse the garden, a business is run from home lol.

I have since sourced a replacement engine from a vts with 70k and a set of refurbished black cyclone alloys in excellent condition.

I have also acquired a gates powergrip timing belt kit and a valeo clutch to fit to the new engine.

it was £400 quid Smile and yes, I may as well be holding the bonnet up with my finger as one of the hinges snapped on me Sad
Thanks given by:
Ouch £400...hope its solid! Smile

Cyclones make a nice difference ThumbsUp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Body work wise, there are a couple of light dings and paint imperfections. At the end of the day, its a 16 year old car with no exterior rust which in my oppinion, is very impressive for a car of that age.

Things take a slight turn for the worse when it comes to the underside as shown here:
[attachment=19904]

The cyclones cost half the price of the car Wink

Amazingly, the rest is pretty solid after a good poke around with the back end of a claw hammer Smile.

The sills are completely rust free which is impressive considering the plastic sill covers have been trapping in moisture for years.

There is evidence of the car being jacked up in silly places also which needs looking at.

The interior is in time warp condition with minimal bolster wear on the driver seat which is a nice bonus.
Thanks given by:
Why a vts engine?
Thanks given by:
that will clean up well, if you think that's bad, you want to see my 1.1s floors!
Thanks given by:
(03-11-2014, 09:52 PM)thebluepearl Wrote: Why a vts engine?
Whats the difference?? I'm talking about the Xsara VTS engine. I thought the 6 lump was the same as the VTS lump.
Thanks given by:
£200 for cyclones Nospeak
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(03-11-2014, 09:53 PM)procta Wrote: that will clean up well, if you think that's bad, you want to see my 1.1s floors!

People like you give me inspiration and remind me not to give up, despite what others have said.

Been told to scrap it a few times by various work mates just for that one rust hole.

They came with new tyres and had never been used since the refurb. Did I get bumped lol.

Unfortunately, I dont have the contacts Sad Im kind of going this project completely alone
Thanks given by:
(03-11-2014, 09:57 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote:
(03-11-2014, 09:53 PM)procta Wrote: that will clean up well, if you think that's bad, you want to see my 1.1s floors!

People like you give me inspiration and remind me not to give up, despite what others have said.

Been told to scrap it a few times by various work mates just for that one rust hole.

They came with new tyres and had never been used since the refurb. Did I get bumped lol.

Unfortunately, I dont have the contacts Sad Im kind of going this project completely alone

f*cking scrap it for the sake of one hole? are they having a laugh? you want to see my old metro, people would have scrapped that years ago, me and my dad welded the rear boot floor, patched to wholes through the inner arch and replaced on inner arch on the other side!
All I can tell you really is research and do a bit at a time. you will end up with a cracking car!
Thanks given by:
Dont buy ANY more bits before starting a thread:
"is this expensive?" haha!

Get up to 100posts and you can start buying and selling on here Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Thanks Procta, that is the aim.

Im wanting near showroom condition.

Also great to hear you are saving a 90s hatch from the scrappies Smile

(03-11-2014, 10:06 PM)Piggy Wrote: Dont buy ANY more bits before starting a thread:
"is this expensive?" haha!

Get up to 100posts and you can start buying and selling on here Smile

OOOOK, I thought I got myself a good deal, your starting to scare me.

Dare I ask how much they are actually worth? Sad

Bare in mind, they are in mint condition with new tyres.
Thanks given by:
yes the xsara vts engine is the same as the gti6 engine. if you can get hold of a vts steering rack too it has a 2.4/2.6 turn as opposed to the 3.3? of the gti6.

Looks good. £400 isnt cheap or expensive. Shame about the colour and phase. probably would have expected to pay less than that.

i hope for £200 on cyclones they had decent tyres on! If you need help on prices pm me and ill let you know!
Thanks given by:
This is where Im at progress wise after doing a bit of work last weekend.
[attachment=19905]
Thanks given by:
you cannot really beat a 90s hatch, i think the 306 was the last of the true 90s hot hatches.
you know what will look good, swopping the bumpers and front lights to phase 3.
Thanks given by:
(03-11-2014, 10:13 PM)SRowell Wrote: yes the xsara vts engine is the same as the gti6 engine. if you can get hold of a vts steering rack too it has a 2.4/2.6 turn as opposed to the 3.3? of the gti6.

Looks good. £400 isnt cheap or expensive. Shame about the colour and phase. probably would have expected to pay less than that.

i hope for £200 on cyclones they had decent tyres on! If you need help on prices pm me and ill let you know!

Hi SRowell, thanks for the reply. I always wanted a GTI6 in the back of my mind and this one came up. I personally like the colour and finding any of the 3 phases was a bonus for me.

I barely ever see a standard phase 1 never mind a 6/rallye. Due to work commitments etc I really dont have time to travel down south to pick a 6/rallye up.

I agree with you on the price though, I over estimated their value. But on the plus side, Its a car I want to keep so in my eyes, it was a nice price for a good first project for me to sink my teeth in to Smile

100 percent agree with you Procta, they are also much easier to work on which is essential for someone of my skill level and they look much better too (in my oppinion). I happen to need a new bumper anyway as mine is fuxxed.
Thanks given by:
im always on the look out for a 6 or an xs with a dead engine. need a 3 door shell which i can cage! it isnt the end of the world! Youve got something you want so as long as your happy! its the same as when i buy something and then grant tells me he could have made it for half the cost. Fair enough but ive got it sooner and i can blame someone else when it breaks! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I suppose I got bumped for buying an engine with 70k on the clock for 250?
Thanks given by:
Not tooooo bad.

But £400 the car, £450 for cyclones and a working engine...
£850 would buy you a decent gti Undecided

But its about the journey Smile +experience
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I understand that I am losing money when it comes to the price of a "road worthy" 6, but as you said, its about the experience. Its about the fun and and I crave more knowledge. I got sick of reading peoples amazing builds and not doing anything myself.

Basically, I could buy a complete working 6 or work on my own. Finishing that car off myself whilst burning a major hole in my wallet to me, is priceless. Speaking of burning cash, stripping the front end off revealed a whole lot more money that needs chucked at it.

I will require a new power steering hose, an air con rad as mine crumbled to bits and probably the pipework for that too.
Thanks given by:
You dont need AC!!

Guranteed it will be buggered in other places!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Most people don't bother with the air con in a 6. It never works because the solid pipes along the cross member rot then you need to change seals and the receiver dryer.
PAS Hose, id get one made up at Pirtek. Will be substantially cheaper!!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I guess in Scotland, I dont need AC. the power steering pipe im talking about is the one that cools the fluid. it sits underneath the radiator and can be seen in my last uploaded pic. It is seriously corroded and the mounting clips/bolts will need replaced also as they will have to be cut off.
Thanks given by:
Oh you can do away with that. Literally just link the rubber hose that connects to it through. They are completely pointless lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Thanks Niall, I will take that simple route Smile
Thanks given by:
Aye, just do what Niall said. The one on my 406 went after whacking a huge hare at 60mph and we just replaced it with a bit of hose.
Thanks given by:
They always start as 'light' projects!!

See you on the other side
Thanks given by:
I think my level of expertise probably matches yours mate, I'd love to have something to rip apart and learn from. But then I bought a mint Rallye and am terrified of ruining something as the only tool I'm any good with is a hammer haha.

I personally like blaze and have wanted a blaze '6 for years. 1 was just never available when I was car shopping. Upgrade as many bits as you can as you go. There's years of history of modifying and improving these cars without changing the looks so as procta said do your research. And cylones were worth £200 maybe 10 years ago?
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2014, 12:59 AM)Jiffy Wrote: Aye, just do what Niall said. The one on my 406 went after whacking a huge hare at 60mph and we just replaced it with a bit of hose.

Consider it done Smile

(04-11-2014, 03:40 AM)af1 Wrote: They always start as 'light' projects!!

See you on the other side

Im starting to get that general vibe. But I like it Smile.

(04-11-2014, 06:54 AM)Orta Wrote: I think my level of expertise probably matches yours mate, I'd love to have something to rip apart and learn from. But then I bought a mint Rallye and am terrified of ruining something as the only tool I'm any good with is a hammer haha.

I personally like blaze and have wanted a blaze '6 for years. 1 was just never available when I was car shopping. Upgrade as many bits as you can as you go. There's years of history of modifying and improving these cars without changing the looks so as procta said do your research. And cylones were worth £200 maybe 10 years ago?

Hi Orta, You did one better and got a rallye!! NICE.

I thought cyclones would be near impossible to get Sad.

Make your next car a project car like mine and have fun. I am labelling and bagging everything as I go.

Will need to get some pics up of these infamous cyclones and do another progress report on sunday night.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diablo GTi6 restoration Joep83 2 2,231 27-09-2018, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Joep83
  S1 106 rallye. Restoration time! ozonehostile 244 97,767 10-01-2016, 04:00 PM
Last Post: ozonehostile
  Restoration xud11 akuma406 55 16,495 30-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Last Post: akuma406