My first ever attempt at a light restoration

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first ever attempt at a light restoration
Project threads r nothing without pics mate! Keep em coming
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2014, 08:20 PM)Orta Wrote: Project threads r nothing without pics mate! Keep em coming

Will get more pics up at the weekend bud.

Unfortunately, I must work Sad
Thanks given by:
This has probably been covered a trillion times, but I need to get my post count up so I can post in the wanted section and maybe get rid of those 1.9 alloys lol

Anyways, Will a cheap knock off peugeot planet kit from ebay read a phase 2?

What do I need.

Thanks Smile
Thanks given by:
That's not a bad price for freshly refurbished cyclones with good tyres, same goes for the car tbh, not sure why people are being so down on it... Sounds like you've got a fairly mint example, i look forward to seeing some more pictures!

The cheap peugeot planet kits are actually pretty good, i think they read a phase 2, but not 100%. I'm sure one of the gti6 boys will be along to confirm shortly.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(05-11-2014, 06:53 AM)Poodle Wrote: That's not a bad price for freshly refurbished cyclones with good tyres, same goes for the car tbh, not sure why people are being so down on it... Sounds like you've got a fairly mint example, i look forward to seeing some more pictures!

The cheap peugeot planet kits are actually pretty good, i think they read a phase 2, but not 100%. I'm sure one of the gti6 boys will be along to confirm shortly.

Thanks for the optimism Smile its really appreciated. The refurb and powdercoating of the alloys cost £200 alone before I bought them at that price.

The car has done 140K, however I am the second owner and the car has full service history with MSD motorsports (I think its called). so it has been looked after.

Pictures do make it look better than it is if im honest due to some small dings. Will get more pictures this weekend and hopefully, weather permitting, I will have the old engine out.

I could have just slapped another head on it for £80 and ragged it to death, but like I say, I wanted to restore it to the best of my (and probably others) ability, hence the replacement engine that has done 70k for starters.

I can also see what people are trying to tell me, I could have bought a nice example for the money I have chucked at it so far. But thats not the point lol I saw it and had to have it Smile

Thanks for the comment.
Thanks given by:
Here are some of the parts I have hoarded up so far Smile

Excuse the picture quality and the mutt.

[attachment=19934]
Thanks given by:
If you've got the time and patience I think you're doing it the better way, plus it would likely have ended up as a breaker if you'd bought a mint one so think of yourself as a saviour Wink

I spent a while looking for cyclones and £200 seems the going rate for a mint set with decent tyres. Like you say, its £200 at most places to have them refurbed and new tyres are another £150-200!

I was lucky with mine and picked up some fresh refurbs with 4 mint tyres (2 hankooks and 2 budgets) for £133 but only 'cause they were badly advertised and I took a punt!

Anyway looks smart matey and good luck with the project Big Grin
Black 306 Rallye
Topaz Blue E39 530i Sport
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by:
INXS, cheers for looking at my thread, the 6 just got a fresh mot on her and the same day, the timing belt snapped last year. Nice deal on the alloys and nice rallye you got there.

I have already been reading your thread before you posted here and I am eager to see how you are coming along with the motor. I am especially interested in seeing how you tackle the underside of your car as it will give me extra ideas on what to do with mine.

I really dont know whether to make a plate up or beg the local scrappies to take an angle grinder to a 306 and cut out the piece that I need to keep the car looking original (maybe im going slightly ott).

I have plenty of patience and passion for the project, however its going to take time as I only have the weekend to work on her and source parts for her due to my time draining job.

I only have a a few hours at night in the shelter to paint things such as the slam panel and prep the engine, but the car sits outside and at the moment, I can only work on it outside which is a bit of a drag when there is no day light and shitty weather.

Thanks for the read and comment bud.
Thanks given by:
I hadn't really thought about cutting a panel out of another car, thats a good idea though as I too want to keep mine looking as smart as possible.
I've sent a PM to rippthrough after seeing his signature advertising the work, just waiting on his response, a guy over on the Gti forum has said he knows someone as well so i'll see where we go with that!

Getting to that time of year now when it's difficult to do anything! Just gotta persist I guess! haha
Black 306 Rallye
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by:
im guessing the plate your worryed about under the car is the plate that always gets crushed buy careless jacking under the drivers feet
ive had that cut out and repaired on mine the garage made an excelent job of fabricating a new section

go and check my project thread im guessing you will encounter everthing i have wrote about
and yes my chiness planet reads my ph2 gti6

my project thread
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-13188.html

chassis repair part http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-13188-po...#pid379724
Thanks given by:
I have had mixed answers on whether to weld a plate in or cut the piece out of a scrap car that I need. Im leaning towards cutting out the piece that I need as im not undersealing the car. The car is not my daily and will only be driven in the summer months (dry weather only). The beauty of not undersealing is that you can see exactly what is going on with the underside and treat it instantly when it starts to turn. underseal can hide many things as I have learned the hard way with my first car 8 years ago. I was thinking red oxide and zinc phosphate 2 in one primer for the first coat and black enamel for the top coat followed by some bilt hamber wax.

many have told me that wax oil is shite and I used to swear by the stuff, but if you care about preservation, then you want nothing but the best.

Im really fighting with my mind over using the method to treat the underside as described as above, or use bilt hamber electrox, or an epoxy resin. I have spoken to many professionals and they all swear by different things making matters worse.

As you can probably tell, im a little paranoid and plan on keeping the 6 for the long haul.

My gut reaction in your case, is if its a daily, weld a thicker plate in and underseal it. If its a cherished toy though and you want originality in places the average joe cant see, then put the original steel back in to keep it completely OEM.

Its all down to oppinion and many probably disagree with my views.

Glad I gave you another perspective though and hope it helps.

Again, thanks for the post Smile

(06-11-2014, 09:58 PM)cully Wrote: im guessing the plate your worryed about under the car is the plate that always gets crushed buy careless jacking under the drivers feet
ive had that cut out and repaired on mine the garage made an excelent job of fabricating a new section

go and check my project thread im guessing you will encounter everthing i have wrote about
and yes my chiness planet reads my ph2 gti6

my project thread
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-13188.html

chassis repair part http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-13188-po...#pid379724

Cully, thanks for visiting my thread and thank you for posting. I will definetly read right through your thread as im sure it will be an excellent read Smile

I'm pretty sure it was careless jacking that caused that hole in the first place Sad

unlike you, I dont have the contacts willing to fabricate a replacement piece that looks good (many just want to weld a simple plate in)

I will have to get this knock off pug planet now Smile

For a complete novice such as myself, surprisingly everything has been a breeze in the tear down, but due to the fact I never had the car running myself, who know what else might have manifested due to the fact that it has sat in a shed for a year (hence the reason for really wanting pug planet).

The extra bonus of getting pug planet is that it should read my picasso HDI too Smile

Just skimmed through your repair part of the thread and that patch work is excellent. I would love to find someone that works at that standard. Bet you were chuffed to bits.

Will read all your thread tonight. That avitar is awesome btw Smile
Thanks given by:
(06-11-2014, 09:50 PM)INXS Wrote: I hadn't really thought about cutting a panel out of another car, thats a good idea though as I too want to keep mine looking as smart as possible.
I've sent a PM to rippthrough after seeing his signature advertising the work, just waiting on his response, a guy over on the Gti forum has said he knows someone as well so i'll see where we go with that!

Getting to that time of year now when it's difficult to do anything! Just gotta persist I guess! haha

Check out Cullys thread bud Smile
Thanks given by:
Here is a picture of the cyclones I bought:
[attachment=19939]

I went to the local bodyshop place today and got quoted £100 quid to fabricate and weld in a piece for the underside of my car. Is that a fair price??

Another little pic of her in her temporary garage Tongue
[attachment=19940]
Thanks given by:
I'm also interested as to how much the work will likely cost.! I know it will vary literally everywhere but don't want to get the wool pulled over my eyes!

I know cully had a friend do it for him but wonder if he'd mind sharing what it cost? Or what it would have cost if he wasn't friends with the chap! Wink Big Grin
Black 306 Rallye
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by:
when i had mine done no money changed hands at the time.
but time wise the guy took a good 3-4 hours from start to finish most garages charge £40 plus an hour some times more for welding work
the £100 quote you got i would be questioning what they will do for the money??

stuff it with cardboard and paint it or do a proper job in cuting, fabrication,welding and corrosion protection?
Thanks given by:
Well peeps, bit of an update.

I managed to finally remove the engine loom from the bay which was quite time consuming for me, due to the fact that I have never removed an engine loom before and had to take plenty of pictures and label every connector.
[attachment=19948]

I then had to raise the car up further so that I could disconnect what I thought would be the cat from the manifold, but it turns out there is just a bit of pipe welded in its place. As expected, it was a right B****** getting the two bolts out.

I raised the car up the neck red wayDodgy
[attachment=19949]
Next I made a beginners mistake of thinking I had drained most of the coolant from the block due to removing all the coolant hoses last weekend, but today I removed the heater matrix hoses from the block, and coolant literally started pissing out of the coolant pipe at the bottom of the engine covering a few of my tools in orange coolant/water/rust.

Check out some of the rust I have to deal with. Im going to have to take more than just the engine out of the bay I think. Excuse my hand of destruction and check out dat rail....................
[attachment=19950]

This means that the project is going to take much longer for me to complete but it should be as good as new when finished.

The more I check out the bodywork, the more little dings I see lol.

To top the afternoon off, I attempted to remove the master cylinder and ended up taking tin sinps to one of the brake lines, as the nut on the line was completely siezed. It wouldnt even move with bashfull vice grips (which was last resort).

The interior on the other hand needs nothing and is the only real decent part of the car for now!

Again, I apologise for the picture quality.

Spotted a blaze DTurb at my local scrappies with perfect panels, but came back two weeks too late and its ended up like this.
[attachment=19951]

Hopefully the engine and gearbox will be out on sunday, I only have the power steering pipe to go before I can remove it from the car.

Just wish I had a shed at this time of the year for rust treatment and painting but way she goes.

(07-11-2014, 01:54 PM)cully Wrote: when i had mine done no money changed hands at the time.
but time wise the guy took a good 3-4 hours from start to finish most garages charge £40 plus an hour some times more for welding work
the £100 quote you got i would be questioning what they will do for the money??

stuff it with cardboard and paint it or do a proper job in cuting, fabrication,welding and corrosion protection?

Hey Cully, managed to read through your thread. Love the colour of the car and the wheels really suit it in my oppinion. I really like the attention to detail with your car and it looks like your exterior paintwork and body is in better shape than mine Smile.

I want to get my underside repaired exactly like yours, but by the sounds of things, around here is a lot to ask for.
Thanks given by:
That Dturbo looks ok for the panels, id have still snapped them up!
Thanks given by:
Pictures don't always speak 1000 words my friend. The scrappies in scotland are shit. They couldn't be arsed taking it down for me and they were gonna make 80 buxx too.

Dicks!
Thanks given by:
Nice project you've got yourself there, in regards to your rust and the quote you received it seems a little on the low side as cully has stated, possibly ask them how there going to go about the repair, and on the repair side with mine I ended up going with fresh plate bent/beaten and folded into shape as most 306's have rust there now from idiots thinking its a good jacking point.
Thanks given by:
Glad to see you got a thread up buddy Smile

Dont be disheartened by any of the penny pinching tight ass diesel drivers here, they dont like paying what anything is truly worth lol

I bought a set of white cyclones needing 4 tyres for £100 so for £250 for freshly refurbed ones with 4 good tyres you got a fair deal Smile probably £200 worth of tyres on there!

Looks like you are going about things the right way, kudos for labelling the entire loom! Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Nice progress mate, really jumping in to it!

What scrappy is that? Looks awesome for 306 parts
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(09-11-2014, 09:29 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote: Pictures don't always speak 1000 words my friend. The scrappies in scotland are shit. They couldn't be arsed taking it down for me and they were gonna make 80 buxx too.

Disks!

looks like its a north thing, as here is exactly the same! In fact sunderland doesn't have scrap yards anymore, that deal with cars. So I have to go on the Bay, for my shite.
Thanks given by:
(09-11-2014, 10:53 PM)306Dan Wrote: Nice project you've got yourself there, in regards to your rust and the quote you received it seems a little on the low side as cully has stated, possibly ask them how there going to go about the repair, and on the repair side with mine I ended up going with fresh plate bent/beaten and folded into shape as most 306's have rust there now from idiots thinking its a good jacking point.

Hi Dan, I thought the same and the boy never gave me a clear cut answer. I ask everyone I get a quote, that I want it to look as if it has never been touched (like Cullys) but I always get the "we will do our best" speech which does not fill me with confidence.

Thanks for the post bud, if you have any project threads I would be happy to check them out Smile

(10-11-2014, 10:34 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Glad to see you got a thread up buddy Smile

Dont be disheartened by any of the penny pinching tight ass diesel drivers here, they dont like paying what anything is truly worth lol

I bought a set of white cyclones needing 4 tyres for £100 so for £250 for freshly refurbed ones with 4 good tyres you got a fair deal Smile probably £200 worth of tyres on there!

Looks like you are going about things the right way, kudos for labelling the entire loom! Smile

Hey bud, thanks for checking out my project Smile.

To be honest, Im 24 and for the past four years I have been driving slugglish Dervs that run out of steam lol. They are nice for the mileage that I do, and they are great low down, but I am too young for spending the rest of my life behind my daily lol. I prefer my motors to light up around 4-5K. Cant beat it. Oh and the noise too Tongue.

I bought my cyclones for 200 and truth be told, I still dont think I got bumped but I could be wrong.

I hope I am going the right way about getting that barely legal 16 year old back to former glory, and I had to label the loom for my own sake. Thanks for not laughing at me for it though Smile

(10-11-2014, 10:44 AM)Grant Wrote: Nice progress mate, really jumping in to it!

What scrappy is that? Looks awesome for 306 parts

Hi Grant, I will see how well the progress goes when I start trying to put things back together Wink

Yeah there are quite a few 306's in there, its my local scrappies. might pick myself up a set of ph3 crystals but Im unsure yet. I really want morettes tbh.

If you need anything in the future, I might be able to sort you out the next time I require bits (providing you pay for the P+P) Smile

Thanks for the post bud.

(10-11-2014, 02:18 PM)procta Wrote:
(09-11-2014, 09:29 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote: Pictures don't always speak 1000 words my friend. The scrappies in scotland are shit. They couldn't be arsed taking it down for me and they were gonna make 80 buxx too.

Disks!

looks like its a north thing, as here is exactly the same! In fact sunderland doesn't have scrap yards anymore, that deal with cars. So I have to go on the Bay, for my shite.

Hello again Procta, cheers for coming back Tongue

The scrappies really have gone to shit recently. They barely even let you in the yard anymore, and they are only interested in scrapping shells and shipping mercs, beemers, audis and veedubs to foregn countries for coin.

Im the same as you with ebay and gumtree these days. Good and bad coz I love the scrappies lol.

You got any threads on the go??
Thanks given by:
only my HDI and metro ones, If you want a read up. have a look at the gta 16v vvc thread,
Thanks given by:
(10-11-2014, 07:05 PM)procta Wrote: only my HDI and metro ones, If you want a read up. have a look at the gta 16v vvc thread,

Could you link me the metro thread please mate.

There is an old yellow C reg Austin Metro close to where I live.

He has slammed it and watching it bob up and down the road, makes me want to give it a test drive. Bet its like a go kart XD

Little update, I have now purchased a gazebo and some led lighting so I can work on my car after work and get on with the bay spray once the engine is out Smile
Thanks given by:
Nice project pal. I've never liked the blaze colour but that is merely personal opinion and counts for nothing mate. I'm sure when it's done it will be great. I'm currently in the process if restoring a 20year old blue sigma s16 with 67k on the clock (genuine) but fortunately it doesn't seem to be as big a project as yours is. I think if I was doing your car id just end up with bits everywhere and then give up because is forget where everything went haha. I'm doing mine little bit at a time and so far it's served me well. That and also having a very good mechanic on speed dial. I also think your cyclones look great. I would love some white cyclones but I wouldn't be able to keep them clean where I live so I'm going for matte black. Good luck mate.
Thanks given by:
(10-11-2014, 08:22 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote:
(10-11-2014, 07:05 PM)procta Wrote: only my HDI and metro ones, If you want a read up. have a look at the gta 16v vvc thread,

Could you link me the metro thread please mate.

There is an old yellow C reg Austin Metro close to where I live.

He has slammed it and watching it bob up and down the road, makes me want to give it a test drive. Bet its like a go kart XD

Little update, I have now purchased a gazebo and some led lighting so I can work on my car after work and get on with the bay spray once the engine is out Smile

my old one,
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-301.html

and the new one
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-24376.html

if you are a member of theywhoshallnotbenamed, there is a full blown 73 page of the red metro, the lads followed it on there, that kicked off in 2008.
Thanks given by:
Great to see the cold and dark not slowing you down much, is a shame the scrapyards up there dont seem very helpful as round here they bend over backwards to help you out just to make a few bob.

My current project thread with a bit in about the repair I did underneath
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22108.html
Thanks given by:
(10-11-2014, 09:27 PM)S16 Wrote: Nice project pal. I've never liked the blaze colour but that is merely personal opinion and counts for nothing mate. I'm sure when it's done it will be great. I'm currently in the process if restoring a 20year old blue sigma s16 with 67k on the clock (genuine) but fortunately it doesn't seem to be as big a project as yours is. I think if I was doing your car id just end up with bits everywhere and then give up because is forget where everything went haha. I'm doing mine little bit at a time and so far it's served me well. That and also having a very good mechanic on speed dial. I also think your cyclones look great. I would love some white cyclones but I wouldn't be able to keep them clean where I live so I'm going for matte black. Good luck mate.

Sounds like you have a beaut there mate.

I bet your more equipped to tackle my project than I am.

Cheers for the post bud.
Thanks given by:
No mate. I have a huge front garden that is gravelled but unfortunately I have dry stone wall surrounding my property that I am not allowed to take down so I can't get my car onto the property. I would love to get it into a big shed or garage to tinker with it but it currently sits on a tiny car park (8 cars) on the boundary of my property and with winter coming it will now have to wait until the weather get better before I do anything major. I looked at your pics of where you had taken the front of the car off etc. that would just worry me mate. I'm not that capable (or brave enough) to do that. I think just getting that new engine in by yourself will deserve a pay on the back.

Pat not pay
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diablo GTi6 restoration Joep83 2 2,231 27-09-2018, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Joep83
  S1 106 rallye. Restoration time! ozonehostile 244 97,772 10-01-2016, 04:00 PM
Last Post: ozonehostile
  Restoration xud11 akuma406 55 16,497 30-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Last Post: akuma406