Loss of Power

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loss of Power
Hi,

My 306 has been running well for some years but over the last few days it's been experiencing the following symptoms:

Car Spec
306 2.0 HDI
125BHP Remap
160,000 miles

Symptoms
1. Last week I started the car and it made a graunching noise (like the starter motor).
Hasn't done it since and could be unrelated but since then:
2. The car feel sluggish until it gets to about 2500RPM - I need to drop a gear to make it go.
3. After 2500RPM it's better but not what it used to be and it's getting worse (i.e. less power) and is a bit dangerous when overtaking!

Observations
Engine starts and runs fine, no special noises
No engine lights (until I unplugged the MAF - see below)
I'm not seeing any smoke (although I always got a black smoke under full throttle)
While revving it hard in the car park I did see some gas/fumes come up the rear of the engine?

I've tried unplugging the MAF and it made the performance even worse (so I'm assuming this is OK)

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave
Thanks given by:
Sounds like the EGR valve may be stuck open. I assume it hasn't been blanked off?
Thanks given by:
Given that you mention seeing fumes from behind the engine when revving it, could be that you've got a sizeable boost leak - would explain the lack of power and later spool too.

Usual culprits are the gasket between the inlet and elbow, and the boost pipe coming off the turbo.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2014, 10:34 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Sounds like the EGR valve may be stuck open. I assume it hasn't been blanked off?

No it's not been blanked off - is that a recommended mod?
If it is stuck, any advice on how to free it up?

Dave

(28-10-2014, 11:18 AM)powerandtorque Wrote: Given that you mention seeing fumes from behind the engine when revving it, could be that you've got a sizeable boost leak - would explain the lack of power and later spool too.

Usual culprits are the gasket between the inlet and elbow, and the boost pipe coming off the turbo.

Thanks - do you know of any decent diagrams that show the turbo pipes/fittings?
Thanks given by:
Don't bother trying to free the EGR, just blank it tbh.

If you had a big boost leak, there wouldn't be much power at the top end. Could be a small boost leak though, most have them these days. The inlet elbow is on the right hand side on top behind the engine, you should be able to see oil around the join there. As for the boost pipes, there is only one, its black plastic and hidden deep behind the engine, there is a silicone joiner each end of the plastic pipe, and they can leak.
Thanks given by:
Thanks - sounds like I need to get it into the garage and take a closer look. I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks given by:
My hdi has smoke coming up from the back of the engine too!
[Image: e0d4ac7c-727f-46a8-ae0c-d4a324a8a667_zpsyn3ibroz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
hi, as said this could be a sign of a small boost leak, the inlet elbow is defiantly a good place to start i could mine was leaking by running a bead of washing up liquid over the join while running then give it a burst of throttle while looking at the joint and if it leaks will bubble. i have had to seal mine twice now as it was leaking when i got it and the silicone i used the second time was shit this time u#i have used proper gasket sealant had has held fine (proved with boost gauge)

doing the egr at the same time i would personalty recommend and cleaning the elbow to get rid of allot of shit that the egr kicks out you can buy a blank or just make it your self out of a bit of sheet metal.

if you are concerned about it possible being a boost issue then as the elbow is off drill and tap a out let and add a gauge, you can always be sure then its right boost level.

even tho the car drives worse without the MAF connected it still doesn't rule it out completely could still be faulty just less likely.

i cant comment on the smoke as that's not a problem i have had but many have said it could be a sign of a egr problem.

hope this helps Jake
Thanks given by:
I done the inlet leak on mine a few weeks ago
[Image: e0d4ac7c-727f-46a8-ae0c-d4a324a8a667_zpsyn3ibroz.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intermittent Loss of Power Alan_M 2 1,892 17-02-2020, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Charlie0
  Loss of power steering etc mattbarker32 5 1,369 10-03-2016, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  occasional momentery loss of power pug306driver 11 2,503 16-11-2015, 08:52 PM