Xmas Tool Kit Reccomendations (Halfords Adv?)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xmas Tool Kit Reccomendations (Halfords Adv?)
(21-10-2014, 12:30 PM)silverzx Wrote: The boys over on SX Owners don't rate the 200 piece set, they think they're chocolate.

The halfords 200 piece set? Surely its the same as the other sets but just with more bits
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2014, 12:40 PM)Frosty Wrote:
(21-10-2014, 12:30 PM)silverzx Wrote: The boys over on SX Owners don't rate the 200 piece set, they think they're chocolate.

The halfords 200 piece set? Surely its the same as the other sets but just with more bits

Halfords tools in general. Prefer the old 6 sided sockets that Mark was referring to.

Mixed views, some people saying basically everything you need to remove engine on a 200SX and that they're good.

They're probably pretty good tbh.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
I only would want the set to keep in my car just incase and the odd time when im out and need tools. I have a nice selection of 'decent' tools in my toolbox at work, just ask mark Smile
Thanks given by:
Halfords professional isnt bad at all! friend of mine is an agricultural engineer and highly rates them!

He does work for a Case dealer though lol
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2014, 12:44 PM)Frosty Wrote: I only would want the set to keep in my car just incase and the odd time when im out and need tools. I have a nice selection of 'decent' tools in my toolbox at work, just ask mark Smile

Halfords does the job, i reckon the majority of people on here have some sort of halfords tool in their toolbox.

oh defo, would say there is at least a tool for near enough every job there...but still manages to buy from Mac/snap-on Tongue

something else for my list, decent head torch
Thanks given by:
Id put a bit extra towards the jack and get something like these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2500LE-SEALEY-...23224d8116

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5T-Ton-Low-E...27e78b0034

Have one the exact same design and goes under near enough every low car ive tried, except so ething that is trailing the road, mines a different brand (logan) but there all basically the same just labeled differently. Also alot sturdier than those wee ones that you linked.
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2014, 01:17 PM)mr_fish Wrote:
(21-10-2014, 12:44 PM)Frosty Wrote: I only would want the set to keep in my car just incase and the odd time when im out and need tools. I have a nice selection of 'decent' tools in my toolbox at work, just ask mark Smile

Halfords does the job, i reckon the majority of people on here have some sort of halfords tool in their toolbox.

oh defo, would say there is at least a tool for near enough every job there...but still manages to buy from Mac/snap-on Tongue

something else for my list, decent head torch

My favourite new tool is my KS tools CREE head torch Big Grin fantastic bit of kit, got the zoom on it and everything Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Don't get the phaze kit. It's never full price and is sometimes as low as £40 so £80 is a rip off

I don't like the moulded cases as you can never add to them.

Personally I'd get the halfords 1/4 and 3/8 set that fits perfectly in the drawer of their advanced top boxes then get the biggest top chest you can in January when they are further reduced.

They also do a half inch set and spanner set that fit in the drawers
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2014, 12:18 PM)Frosty Wrote:
(21-10-2014, 08:08 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I have the advanced 200pc kit...trade card didn't take anything off in Jan this year. Brilliant kit tbh.

I guess the main question is do you have a workshop or do you have move tools around? I wanted a chest but it just wasn't practical for me...

How do you find the 200 piece set? It worth getting that over the 150 and 170 piece kits would you say?

I'd say its worth it over the smaller ones yeah.

When me and Rowell did his 6 gearbox upgrade this year we soon found his one (150 iirc) was missing important sized spanners and some deep sockets iirc. My 200pc had everything we needed. Only thing it doesn't have is a long bar, or a 'thing' to make a bar out of extensions like the older, smaller set I had...not a problem at home as I have one, but I don't carry it in the car.

I've stripped 3 306s with this kit, engine change, changed a few clutches, cambelt, several services etc etc, use it as my main kit.

I tend to be pretty hard on tools and haven't broken any sockets yet! Just a torx bit and a hex bit lol, both replaced immediately FOC though.
Thanks given by:
I swear by Halfords advance range
Thanks given by:
I recently got back into working on my own cars after 20 year hiatus. I got the 170 piece kit. So far so good.

But my dad has a collection of odds and sods of no brand stuff which he built up over the years. And it's the stuff like various pliers, grips, and the jars and jars of washers nuts etc that can save you a trip to get one nut or keep you working on a Sunday that you can only accumulate over time. Some great advice above from far better qualified than me. But one tool not mentioned that's been invaluable for me is a Dremmel.

Best of.

Vinyl gloves are handy but more importantly plasters.
Thanks given by:
My kit that I use at work varys a lot to be honest. Ive got some halfords advance stuff and its been bulletproof. Sealey professional is great to. Snap on and blue point are good but pricey. I only have a couple of bits like my impact gun and a few screwdrivers. Anything with lifetime guarantee is worth it. All of which ive just listed has. Bust a sealey ratchet the other day after five years of hard abuse and they replaces it without question. Halfords have replaced one ratchet spanner I broke to. Little tip though halfords are the only place that replace torx 30 or 40 bits. Cant rember which. Snap on wont even replace them anymore.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
One of the Torx sizes is used on Transit brakes which are Loctited and really need heated up to undo. So many torx bits get broken on theses brakes that a lot don't warranty them.

I wouldn't recommend the Phaze kit as it's cheap and cheerful but not a good long term investment. I think the Halfords 200 piece kit is a good buy. The ratchet spanners cost £50 by themselves. The Halfords stuff is not as good as the really expensive makes like Snap On but it will do the job. Two big tips:
1) Don't use a lot of force on the ratchet side of the spanners. Use a normal spanner to undo the tight bolt and then loosen with a ratchet. If you do that then even cheap ratchet spanners from Aldi will give you good service.
2) Get a breaker bar and use that to undo tight bolts instead of a ratchet with a scaffolding pipe on it!

What tools do you have just now? If you don't have a decent spanner set then this is a cracking deal:
http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/50203...nner%20set

I bought this 1/2" Sealey breaker bar 20 years ago and it's never failed me yet. I've undo a good few hub nuts with it as well:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/261195358...108&ff19=0

I recently bought this 3/8" Halfords breaker bar from these guys for under £6:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-F...4d1b9535cb

The only thing I really don't like about that Halfords 200pc kit is the 12 point sockets. I feel a lot happier using 6 point sockets when I get a really rust bolt to undo. You could just get a set of 6 point sockets as well like this lot for under £13:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/151268515...108&ff19=0

Or a 1/2" set under £18:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/181367799...108&ff19=0

The Sealey stuff is at least as good as Halfords. I've used their sockets for years but have switched to Facom stuff now. I've picked up bargains off Ebay like this but it's still not cheap:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FACOM-TOOLS-3-...20e8b42892
Thanks given by:
Got pretty much all of that.

I have large 1/2" set.
Halfords 3/8" set.
Spanners.
Rachet spanners.
Breaker bar.
Grinder.
Drills.
Jump pack.

etc.

Gonna just go with the 200 piece set and get some spanners/jack etc off other family members who aren't gonna fork out uber money.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Just buy this then:
http://www.motorsport-tools.com/facom-52...m160a.html

Oops, forgot you wanted something to keep your tools in. Get this as well:
http://topkit.com/meet-mr-big/
Thanks given by:
(22-10-2014, 09:40 AM)Jiffy Wrote: Just buy this then:
http://www.motorsport-tools.com/facom-52...m160a.html

Oops, forgot you wanted something to keep your tools in. Get this as well:
http://topkit.com/meet-mr-big/

That.. Looks.. Ideal! Heart
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
I do know that they usually release the larger sets just before xmas , sell them for £99 after previously advertising them for about £150 ?? I would wait until nearer xmas before diving in and buying a kit
Thanks given by:
i picked up the halfords advanced 1/4 3/8 1/2 socket sets earlier this year super happy with them and will add some of there ratchet spanners and normal spanners in the january sales they get used alot (mainly fixing other peoples cars mind :/) and yet to have a problem with them
and as i paid a bit more than i have in the past for tools they are all still complete sets just hide them from my dad to make sure they stay that way
playing with there roll cabs in the stores they seem decent enough would have one if i had the room for one!
Thanks given by:
sheer coincidence, but true !!

invited the Halfords trade card rep for northern England into work today, he was giving a presentation about the trade cards and was giving them out. the good news is that the 150 piece socket sets (1/4,3/8 & 1/2 drive) are now on offer at £99...
also they have introduced a "no quibble" guarantee; you no longer need a receipt for the tools when taking them back under warranty and even better.......they now cover rachet mechanisms and rachet spanners !
so, if you have a spanner that's failed out of a set, you go back and they order you one into stock ---he explained they don't stock the spanners in main ware house but arrive within a few days (but who cares? , you're getting a new one now ! ) .
the trade discounts have been updated and improved, so now theres a sunday/bank holiday option for tools, oils and parts.
Thanks given by:
They deliver the repacements to your door. I broke a ratchet spanner a couple of weeks ago. They post it to you
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
IMO, buy Halfords, and replace with snap on when/if something breaks then get it replaced under warranty as well. My Halfords kit is standing up well to daily hard use, I've yet to break anything *touches wood*
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Think I may have spoken too soon.. ^
[Image: IMAG0053_zps2bgl1pkk.jpg]

Altho took a 2 foot breaker bar and a scaffold pole extension to break that! Will replace it with the same.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Halfords 8 Drawer Tool Centre - £63 Eeyore 1 1,061 03-04-2017, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Stef205
  Halfords Advanced 170 piece Tool Sets - £110 Eeyore 29 12,938 17-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  Tool Box Talk cully 22 5,484 26-07-2016, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Frosty