Can't find it grind it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't find it grind it?
2l HDi and it grinds in 3rd gear (have been skipping 3rd to protect the poor little gearbox) The grind isn't as bad at low revs so I'm pretty sure it's the third gear synchro ring. can someone tell me is the gearbox out an easy enough job that can be done from jacks and axles stands or is it a up on the lift job?
Thanks given by:
You can do it easy enough on stands, I changed my clutch last week and its not too bad to do. The best way is to have a piece of wood across the engine bay with rope tied around that and the gearbox so when you take off the box it doesn't try to kill you. Then putting the box on is a lot easier with help from someone.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
yes as the post above. I had a metal bar across the engine bay and tied the box onto that to support it. Its a lot easier with two people to put the box on as it has to be stupidly straight to go back on. Make sure that the clutch fork is in the right place too when you get it on... otherwise youre just wasting your time.
Thanks given by:
Its a HDi, no arsing about with the pull type arm lol! As has been said though, doable on stands, done several myself now.

As for the 3rd gear crunch, most are just as bad now so if you're replacing it with used might as well just keep what you've got...
Thanks given by:
Well that's a relief, got a ridiculous quote of €380 to have the 3rd gear synchro done or a whopping 600 for a recon gearbox! So I've decided I'm going to pick up a second hand box ~40 quid and replace the synchro ring myself.
Thanks given by:
granny shifting not double clutching like you should
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
Previous owner did the 3rd gear synchro in,s there's nothing wrong with my shifting Tongue
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 09:50 PM)Will Wrote: Well that's a relief, got a ridiculous quote of €380 to have the 3rd gear synchro done or a whopping 600 for a recon gearbox! So I've decided I'm going to pick up a second hand box ~40 quid and replace the synchro ring myself.

Not sure what experience you have, but reconditioning a gearbox isn't exactly easy, I've a fair amount of experience with these and wouldn't hesitate to swap over a gearbox but there's no way I'd attempt a rebuild! Confused
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 10:55 PM)ADV_93 Wrote: granny shifting not double clutching like you should

I hope you're joking lmao
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 10:55 PM)ADV_93 Wrote: granny shifting not double clutching like you should

You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 10:05 AM)Ruan Wrote:

You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake!

Now me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the block... and replace the piston rings you fried.
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 08:25 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(01-09-2014, 09:50 PM)Will Wrote: Well that's a relief, got a ridiculous quote of €380 to have the 3rd gear synchro done or a whopping 600 for a recon gearbox! So I've decided I'm going to pick up a second hand box ~40 quid and replace the synchro ring myself.

Not sure what experience you have, but reconditioning a gearbox isn't exactly easy, I've a fair amount of experience with these and wouldn't hesitate to swap over a gearbox but there's no way I'd attempt a rebuild! Confused

I don't have a lot of experience rebuilding gearboxes, part of the reason I'd like to try, seen as the one in it is not good (I plan to swap out a different one for the moment). I do understand how they work pretty well, like the mechanical end and my dad is willing to help me (surely two engineers can figure it out Tongue). I know it will be tough, but I'm going to give it a go
Thanks given by:
Do it mate, make sure you take lots of pictures and make a guide while you're there! Big Grin
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Please do.
I've never messed around with gearboxes
Thanks given by:
As long as you.have a press and a.few.good pullers you will be fine. Had to do a couple when I worked for pug. Take your time and take pictures. If im honest its not my favourd job.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I'll make sure to take plenty of pictures when I do it, hopefully I'll get to it soon but there's a few things holding me up at the moment
Thanks given by:
If you want a laugh, I tried stripping the knackered gearbox from my 1.4 back when I was young and inexperienced...I do appear to come across as a tw*t in that thread though, so I guess some things never change. lol

http://www.theywhoshallnotbenamed/forum/...dy-gearbox
Thanks given by:
Just put the 2nd hand box on, chances are it will be fine.

This guide is for a 205 1.9 box but it will be near enough
http://www.rallyparts.co.uk/cwp_change/
Thanks given by:
Haha, just read the whole thing, entertaining thread! I've no worries of mine thrown out anyway :-P

(04-09-2014, 08:59 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: Just put the 2nd hand box on, chances are it will be fine.

This guide is for a 205 1.9 box but it will be near enough
http://www.rallyparts.co.uk/cwp_change/

That was the plan, but I've no proof the second hand one will be good. cheers for the link, it should come in handy!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help? Can't find an intercooler set up!! Icywalts 14 3,361 21-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Toms306