Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roof lining
Hi everyone

Has any one removed a headlining and painted it

If so how did it go

Or what is people's opinions on this Huh
Thanks given by:
Just did mine as removed sunroof and replaced with a carbon fiber blank.

I went to use fabric dye but was a waste of time as didnt cover the bit I tested on very well so used rattle cans and it now look wicked
Thanks given by:
(22-08-2014, 02:59 PM)calibra306 Wrote: Just did mine as removed sunroof and replaced with a carbon fiber blank.

I went to use fabric dye but was a waste of time as didnt cover the bit I tested on very well so used rattle cans and it now look wicked

So painting works I've thought about it I re-dyed my rear seat and thought head liner wants doing but wasn't sure if it'd work

thanks Smile
Thanks given by:
Spray paint So it gets into the fibers. Heard people say it will go crusty but it come out fine.
Thanks given by:
I'll take it out this weekend and get some satin black on it see how it goes

Thanks again
Thanks given by:
Moved this to the correct section Smile
Dont paint it. They go horrendously crusty and horrible. If i was you, buy some material and some automotive spray glue and recover it. its really not that difficult and the finish is 10 times better

[attachment=18530]

Thats a small photo of mine done in fake suede.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Thanks it looks good was it hard to remove
Thanks given by:
Pull the door rubbers down, remove the interior light panel and sun visors, pop off the pillar trims. And drop it out.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thanks that's this weekend sorted Wink

[Image: imagejpg1_zpse2d9894d.jpg]

What do you think to this? my car is Diablo red
Thanks given by:
Not a fan.of the red but I like the suede. Ive still got to get black trims on mine first though
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Niall. When you mention it going crusty do ya know if thats after time it being sprayed and fitted or some peeps experiance of it doing it once its sprayed or during.
Thanks given by:
Glad I clicked on this as I now know how to remove the roof lining ready for sound deadening cheers for this thread
Thanks given by:
Thank for the advice I think I'm going for recovering option in a black leather look and painting the stereo surround and vent Diablo red
Thanks given by:
What ya gonna use mate? Cloud 9
Thanks given by:
Anybody got recommendations as to what material to use? Going to be doing this soonish, and wondering about how stretchy the material needs to be, i.e. would a bedsheet work?
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Calibra306 was that for me? Don't want to steal the thread but been looking at Silent coat give it a try as it's not overly chunky at 3mm
Thanks given by:
(22-08-2014, 09:35 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: Anybody got recommendations as to what material to use? Going to be doing this soonish, and wondering about how stretchy the material needs to be, i.e. would a bedsheet work?

Bed sheet can be a bit thin, will work but wrinkles show easy so smooth it out well. Duvet covers are a good option, usually a little weightier material than a sheet, also good for getting a pattern or design if you want something different. Suede is a good call, black keeps it nice and simple, hides and wrinkles etc well.

Material with a bit of stretch will make it easier and neater, but its not required, you may find you end up with a few small wrinkles around the tight bends like the handle reccess and the sun visor recess if your material doesnt have any stretch.

My suggestions are, get yourself a nice big workspace, some decent high temp adhesive (Trimfix on ebay), lay it all out and start with the area above the frint seats, work your way back from there leaving the edges for last, spray both the roof lining and your material with the adhesive, dont need too much or it will soak through but a good covering on both, i usually do it in roughly a foot or two sections at a time, lift the material up, spray the section, lay it back down and smooth from the middle out. Once tge centre section of the roof is done go back and do all the edges, wrapping it over the edge and gluing it down to the back will stop the edges peeling. Then trim off any excess, give it a chance to dry, refit.
Thanks given by:
I have done about three or four of these trimfix is great stuff and worth using. Go to a local material shop and have a look around you want something nice and thick so the glue goes not come through when you stick it down. I actually have a 5 door one in the garage which I did with brown material if anyone is interested.

I laid the roof lining down and put the material over it, cut it to size then started from the back and did the worth width of the lining but around a fot at a time.
Thanks given by:
(23-08-2014, 07:45 AM)Pompey306mark Wrote: I have done about three or four of these trimfix is great stuff and worth using. Go to a local material shop and have a look around you want something nice and thick so the glue goes not come through when you stick it down. I actually have a 5 door one in the garage which I did with brown material if anyone is interested.

I laid the roof lining down and put the material over it, cut it to size then started from the back and did the worth width of the lining but around a fot at a time.

Hi I was wondering how hard it is to get the the material around the sun visor recess?
Thanks given by:
(23-08-2014, 06:39 AM)Slam Wagon Wrote:
(22-08-2014, 09:35 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: Anybody got recommendations as to what material to use? Going to be doing this soonish, and wondering about how stretchy the material needs to be, i.e. would a bedsheet work?

Bed sheet can be a bit thin, will work but wrinkles show easy so smooth it out well. Duvet covers are a good option, usually a little weightier material than a sheet, also good for getting a pattern or design if you want something different. Suede is a good call, black keeps it nice and simple, hides and wrinkles etc well.

Material with a bit of stretch will make it easier and neater, but its not required, you may find you end up with a few small wrinkles around the tight bends like the handle reccess and the sun visor recess if your material doesnt have any stretch.

My suggestions are, get yourself a nice big workspace, some decent high temp adhesive (Trimfix on ebay), lay it all out and start with the area above the frint seats, work your way back from there leaving the edges for last, spray both the roof lining and your material with the adhesive, dont need too much or it will soak through but a good covering on both, i usually do it in roughly a foot or two sections at a time, lift the material up, spray the section, lay it back down and smooth from the middle out. Once tge centre section of the roof is done go back and do all the edges, wrapping it over the edge and gluing it down to the back will stop the edges peeling. Then trim off any excess, give it a chance to dry, refit.

Awesome cheers for the advice. I've been looking at duvet covers for that exact reason, I want some sort of pattern.
Thanks given by:
http://s48.photobucket.com/user/adammh88/slideshow/306

For those that want to know
I first removed the lights
Then the sun visors and handles
I then pulled the rear pillar plastic down and removed the headliner from the back working forwards as I found it had a lot more glue at the front I struggled Abit near the front seat belts as the trim doesn't move that far the front plastic near windscreen were a doddle then out it came so off to fabric shop see what there is Smile
Thanks given by:
[Image: imagejpg2_zps9d3eb090.jpg]

A few creases but I can live with that Wink
Thanks given by:
Nice job, unless you get material with some stretch then creases are unavoidable.
Thanks given by:
I think there was to much stretch in it I've also painted the front and rear light surrounds Diablo but left handles and sun visors grey unsure weather to do them red or black Idea

[Image: imagejpg1_zps4ce6f90b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sun visors are a bit of a pig, being covered already, theyre hard to cover and cant be sprayed. They can be flocked or replaced with cabriolet visors that ate already black but are slightly shorter.
Thanks given by:
This was before

[Image: imagejpg1_zps62bb6735.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah I've been wondering about the visors, mine are stickerbombed at the moment, I don't really like them anymore but can't think what else to do with them!
Thanks given by:
Piggy flocked my visors and they look great.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(23-08-2014, 09:13 PM)Niall Wrote: Piggy flocked my visors and they look great.

Can the handles be flocked too?
Thanks given by:
Virtually anything can be flocked
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fabric for roof lining andyyy 4 2,038 21-08-2015, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Adam-m-h
  Interior light surround thing, on the roof lining? Dean 9 3,243 02-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Dean
  Roof Lining And Carpets Toast 8 2,322 11-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Grant