What Welder?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Welder?
Looking at getting a welder. Have done a bit in the past, but am by no means a pro...

I've decided to go down the MIG route with it all, and so far have seen this

By no means an award winning peice of kit, but for a hobbyist I would say it is adequate...
Should I purchase this I would also be getting one of these as it is a PITA holding a mask and not being able to see what your doing.

So my question is, does anyone else have a MIG that they would recommend, or used one that they thought was particularly good?
Before I shell out 2 ton on welding gear lol

Cheers
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
You fail with links/pictures!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
How? Works fine over here...

:teasing-knob:

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
i had the same kit your looking at seemed ok for me just me that let it down haha great price for what you get. but i do recomend getting a helmet its better holding the mig with 2 hands
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Jenkosowls Wrote:i had the same kit your looking at seemed ok for me just me that let it down haha great price for what you get. but i do recomend getting a helmet its better holding the mig with 2 hands

Yeah, going to get the auto darkening one anyways, makes life easier. What were you welding with it when you had it?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Il only go for jackson hoods, and with that welder do you know if its a crappy perm live? something that size is only really good for thin material. need to get myself a mig welder soon, have got a tig welder, cost just under 2k with a good discount

[Image: REND3360CustomImage2725999.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Daniel306 Wrote:Il only go for jackson hoods, and with that welder do you know if its a crappy perm live? something that size is only really good for thin material. need to get myself a mig welder soon, have got a tig welder, cost just under 2k with a good discount

[Image: REND3360CustomImage2725999.jpg]

I am not spending 2k on a welder! lol, if it was something i was doing for a living maybe, but for a hobby and occasional use i will stick to the 2ton price limit lol.

Is that one in the picture the 2k machine?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
The only "cheap" welders you can get away with IMO is second hand stuff, mainly arcs....but if you want it for hobby use you need a mig really for ease...

Cheap new mig's are a load of god turd and not worth buying imo....if your going to get a mig, then get a decent one....else just pay someone else to do it for you....

Imo anyway....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Not that I disagree Darren, but why is that? What compromises will i see with a cheap MIG?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I'd have to agree with Darren, friend of mine got a cheap MIG, can't remember what it was but it wasn't worth a hate. You just couldn't get a decent weld with it at all, was just jumping and sparking about all over the place. I spent a good while trying to set it up for him and it was just impossible..he sent it back and bought a bigger one...much better..you can actually weld with it!

And defo go for the auto-darkening mask, very handy to have a hand free to hold stuff etc whilst trying to get a tack or weld on it!
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
Ok thanks guys. Any particular brand or model to look for second hand?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  tig welder advise Stef205 2 2,158 27-03-2016, 08:26 PM
Last Post: ozonehostile
  Welder recommendations bashbarnard 21 4,036 11-02-2016, 09:00 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard