Oil catch tank info needed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil catch tank info needed
Ok so ive an mot comming up and running an open turbo with breather venting to atmos, not sure it will pass an mot so is it worth me buying a catch tank and filter off ebay or just stick the breather in a bottle with some small vent holes to stop pressure build up, all info appreciated
Thanks given by:
You buy a catch tank off ebay in various shapes and sizes and then you plumb it in. It isnt difficult at all.
Thanks given by:
Problem is ive head the cheap ebay ones dont do a good job of catching the oul vapour and just blow it out of the other side , so thought id post as someone on heres bound to have done this before me and found the better solution
Thanks given by:
I am having issues with this

I bought a proper nice oil catch tank...and it did nothing!!

So I spotted an idea of Ozones in using a truck fuel filter housing, but its still blowing oil out the breather

So I currently have the oil 'catch tank' fuel filter housing, then a breather which is pointing down with a rattle can cap screwed to it to catch the oil!

see my project thread, theres a pic of it in the last page.

Alternatively pipe it back to the inlet filter. But obviously the point is to stop the oil passing through there
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Meh I used an veg bottle, shoved pipe in the top and put a few holes around the top and shoved pipe in a few inches.. worked for me lol
Thanks given by:
Im having the same issue. Haven't done it yet but I've read around and the best thing to do is stick wire wool in the tank apparently.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Yeah i heard about using wire wool before, may just chuck it in a bottle for now then and look into proper tanks at a later date, thanks people
Thanks given by:
I used a proper 50/50 mesh partition with wire wool in one half... still didnt work and kept blowing oil all over me turbo!

Best solution for me so far was few months back where I just had a breather filter (the little ones) rammed in the top of a 1 pint plastic milk bottle. Worked 100%!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  D turbo, fmic and turbo info needed Chunky2613 4 1,295 25-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Last Post: daveylennon93
  oil catch tank no2lurch 12 3,418 29-04-2013, 07:09 AM
Last Post: Chris_90
  11mm pump mod info needed bealey 1 1,317 31-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Last Post: Joe