What's a service consist of?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's a service consist of?
My car came with no service history so I'm not sure when it was last serviced. What does a service consist of? So what do I need to buy and do to carry out a service.

Thanks guys Smile
Thanks given by:
oil
oil filter
fuel filter
air filter
set of spark plugs.

probably a good idea to change gearbox oil, brake fluid and coolant too if there is no history.

While its all draining, check all the suspension joints, bearings, brake hoses, damper seals, tyres, brake pad and disc thicknesses...if you got drums, whip them off, clean up shoes and adjust them/handbrake cable. (check cylinders too for leaking if you have drums).

Top up other fluids, like PAS and windscreen washer, as needed.

check all lights

check all wiper rubbers.

....make list of things you now need to buy to fix all the things you have found need doing!!!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
basic is oil and oil filter change

else depends on milage, and time since last service / history (which you don't know)

air and fuel filters are cheap enough to change as a matter of course if you don't know history

take all the wheels off and check the condition of brakes / discs / pads / shoes ..etc

have a nose around the suspension for any play too while you're at it

just give it a good check over really
Thanks given by:
It depends what level of service it requires. But if you don't have any history for the car, you'll probably want:

Oil & filter
Fuel filter
Air filter (unless you have a cone, of course)
Spark plugs
Cambelt kit
Water pump
Possibly coolant/thermostat change
Possibly brake fluid change
Possibly gear oil

Cambelt adds a fair amount to the bill, especially if you're paying someone. But if you have no idea when it was last changed, then it something to think about.

Then everything else you should give a once over, brakes and suspension etc.
Thanks given by:
Awesome thanks guys Smile I've got a cone filter on the way so that takes care of the filter, I'll give it a good once over tomorrow and check all the brakes and suspension Smile and I'll get some oil and oil filter and a fuel filter at some point

(22-04-2014, 09:19 PM)Curt Wrote: It depends what level of service it requires. But if you don't have any history for the car, you'll probably want:

Oil & filter
Fuel filter
Air filter (unless you have a cone, of course)
Spark plugs
Cambelt kit
Water pump
Possibly coolant/thermostat change
Possibly brake fluid change
Possibly gear oil

Cambelt adds a fair amount to the bill, especially if you're paying someone. But if you have no idea when it was last changed, then it something to think about.

Then everything else you should give a once over, brakes and suspension etc.

There's a mobile mechanic that my dad uses and he will fit a cam belt for £40 if I supply the belt. Is this the belt I need? http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peugeo...618&000336
Thanks given by:
Also change spark plugs with your basic filters service, theyre only £2 each and do make a difference.
Thanks given by:
(22-04-2014, 09:26 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Also change spark plugs with your basic filters service, theyre only £2 each and do make a difference.

Yeah I'll replace them at the same time, if I'm doing the cam belt do I need just the belt or the kit with the tensioner sand stuff?

Going to sound like an idiot but is the cam belt also called the timing belt?
Thanks given by:
Yes mate that's the same belt just different name
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(22-04-2014, 09:29 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote:
(22-04-2014, 09:26 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Also change spark plugs with your basic filters service, theyre only £2 each and do make a difference.

Yeah I'll replace them at the same time, if I'm doing the cam belt do I need just the belt or the kit with the tensioner sand stuff?

Going to sound like an idiot but is the cam belt also called the timing belt?

If changing the belt, its advisable to change the tensioners and the waterpump at the same time - if one of those fails it'll mean the belt has to come off again at best....or valves hitting pistons at worst lol.

Yes the cam belt is the timing belt. You probably also want to change the auxiliary belt while you're doing that, that's the one that runs the alternator and power steering. Smile
Thanks given by:
Get a cambelt kit Smile.
Thanks given by:
Sweet I'll have to replace both when I come to replacing them Smile
Thanks given by:
Not being arsey or anything cos everyone has to start somewhere and thats what we are here for.
But im sure I read somewhere that you work in a halfords autocenter?
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(22-04-2014, 10:50 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: Not being arsey or anything cos everyone has to start somewhere and thats what we are here for.

No I'm a bike mechanic at halfords Smile I deal with bikes
Thanks given by:
(22-04-2014, 10:50 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: Not being arsey or anything cos everyone has to start somewhere and thats what we are here for.

This would still make no difference... lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(23-04-2014, 07:16 AM)Nathan1305 Wrote:

Oh push bikes, I got mixed up with motor bikes :-)

(23-04-2014, 07:20 AM)Connor Wrote:

This would still make no difference... lol

Whys that?
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Its a halfords autocenter, that should be obvious
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(23-04-2014, 07:49 AM)kentiiboii Wrote:
(23-04-2014, 07:16 AM)Nathan1305 Wrote: [quote='kentiiboii' pid='423109' dateline='1398207001']
Not being arsey or anything cos everyone has to start somewhere and thats what we are here for.

No worries Smile yeah push bikes
Thanks given by:
Use the correct, standard NGK plugs for your engine, don't bother with super irridium multi-electrode super-power +999bhp plugs.
Standard NGK will work properly and make the engine run correctly. You don't need anything other than that!

It will be significantly cheaper as well. Follow the instructions on the pack on how to tighten them (how many turns until the washer crushes).
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
If you can find a friend with a halfords trade card for a basic service it works out about £30
oil, oil fiter, plugs, air filter, fuel filter and replacement sump washer.
Thanks given by:
(23-04-2014, 01:28 PM)Jama Wrote: If you can find a friend with a halfords trade card for a basic service it works out about £30

I work for halfords so we get 25% off Smile
Thanks given by:
(23-04-2014, 01:31 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote:
(23-04-2014, 01:28 PM)Jama Wrote: If you can find a friend with a halfords trade card for a basic service it works out about £30

Fair enough, though I think on some items the trade card works out as more% off.
The plugs I got (bosch) were about £10 and came down to just over £5
Thanks given by:
(23-04-2014, 01:32 PM)Jama Wrote:
(23-04-2014, 01:31 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote:

Fair enough, though I think on some items the trade card works out as more% off.
The plugs I got (bosch) were about £10 and came down to just over £5

Nice Smile I have a trade card also, so I'll see which one works out cheaper
Thanks given by: