O/S driveshaft support bearing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
O/S driveshaft support bearing
Hi. Simple question guys. Does the driveshaft support bearing require lube'ing with Greece on a 306?. When replacing mine, after an engine rebuild, I used a small amount, but ive noticed a noise from the race area, and I think I may not of used enough. Its only noticeable over 30mph, and bareley changes pitch if the wheels are jinked left and right. Many Thanks :-)
Thanks given by:
The bearing is a sealed unit, did it fall apart? Confused
Thanks given by:
Its a sealed unit, so it shouldnt need a country with its economy down the toilet to help...oh, sorry, it shouldnt need grease!! Hehe!

Cant quite see how you greased it?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The whole driveshaft was a replacement item off ebay, cus the old one was damaged during the removal process. (THATS A NICE WAY OF SAYING I GOT FED UP WITH ALL THE TUGGING, AND PRODUCED A VERY LARGE HAMMER, TO AID ITS DEPARTURE FROM THE RACE) lol. Its strange tbh, cus my initial thought was a wheel bearing issue. It passed a "very" Thorough mot at a local station, where I made a point of telling the Examiner (whom I know well) to go to town on the car, cus it had been a project for a few years, and I wanted It bang on. A few years back, a friend of mine had a megane, with the same issue, and it turned out to be a dry wheel bearing, which although noisey, didn't have any wear play, and again passed a test. I doubt its the box, cus prior to any work done on the car, it was perfect, and has only had its oil replaced. I guess im as fc*ked as Greece on this one lol!!!. :-)
Thanks given by:
Are you referring to where the driveshaft goes through the lower engine mount?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(15-03-2014, 09:42 AM)Grant Wrote: Are you referring to where the driveshaft goes through the lower engine mount?

yes bud. When I replaced the driveshaft, I used a small amount of grease (The musical lol) to aid its input and possible future extraction, if needed :-).
Thanks given by:
Ah I see, that should be held solid in the mount with the L bolts and 11mm nuts, a bit of grease should help it slide in easier, but wont make any other difference as (hopefully!) the outer race wont be turning.
Thanks given by:
(15-03-2014, 01:11 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Ah I see, that should be held solid in the mount with the L bolts and 11mm nuts, a bit of grease should help it slide in easier, but wont make any other difference as (hopefully!) the outer race wont be turning.

Had a look at how the bearing works today, when a friend of mine replaced his on his (dare I type it) 206 git. He's had similar issues beleave it or not, and more or less quoted me, regarding symptoms. The dam noise gets really Annoying doing 32 miles a day too and from work, so ive decided to get her up on stands over the nxt few days, and get to the bottom of this, using the length of timber, stethoscope routine :-)
Thanks given by:
Length of metal is 10x better than timber for listenin
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(15-03-2014, 11:33 PM)Piggy Wrote: Length of metal is 10x better than timber for listenin

Is it.. Hummm. Thanks bud :-)
Thanks given by:
Preferably a long thing screw driver. The thinner the better Smile

Threaded bar will do the trick if you have some lying about
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2014, 11:41 AM)Grant Wrote: Preferably a long thing screw driver. The thinner the better Smile

Threaded bar will do the trick if you have some lying about

lol, me hairs getting a bit long for a screwdriver bud, and im doing me best to avoid a bald patch. Think im going to use some metal tube :-)
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Drivers side driveshaft bearing stuck HDIkyle 4 2,185 17-02-2014, 05:09 PM
Last Post: Danny2009
  Eccentric driveshaft intermediate bearing bolts 306Puggy 10 3,008 07-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Last Post: Tom