Water leaking into the boot thought it was the light but it's not any ideas?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water leaking into the boot thought it was the light but it's not any ideas?
Got water dripping into the boot from the pass side rear light.

It is coming in from the hole that the attaching screw for the rear light goes through, i have removed the old light and the seal didn't look to bad, but have cleaned all the body work up and fitted a brand new light, and it is still coming in. It is coming through the hole and dripping down the inside of the plastic cover and on to the boot floor.
Should there be any sort of seal around the holes that the attaching screws go through?
Thanks given by:
the seal on the light should prevent that from happening, silicone sealer is your friend Wink
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Yeah, as the light unit i have just fitted is brand new i thought it would sort it, guess i will have to get the silicone sealer out.
Thanks given by:
Right with all the rain we have had today, i went in the car and looked to try and find out where it was leaking from, i couldn't get it to do it with the hose.

So i lowered the rear seat and sat and watched the water drip in.
It seems to be getting in somewhere at the top where the red arrow is ( sorry about the rubbish arrows ! )
And then dripping down the inside and it goes in behind the rear light plastic cover which i why i thought it was the light, and also as you look at it on the right hand side to, where the bottom 2 red arrows are.

Anyone got any ideas where it might be getting in? i have had a quick look at the boot seal and it looks ok, will wait until it is not raining so much before i whip all the trim off and have a decent look.

[Image: 90b75112-0495-4df7-9908-6ad389cad83b_zpsfeb479f5.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm having a very similar issue, to the point where i don't really want to put anything in the boot, as it just gets ruined! Thought i'd solved it when i used some silicone sealant on the light, but to no avail. And no, the cluster isnt full either, there is only some mild condensation in there. I'm thinking possibly boot seal?
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I was convinced it was the light as every time i took the inside cover off it was wet, but watching it today i could see the water getting in at the top and dripping in behind that cover, and i have fitted a brand new light.
Eventually when the rain stops, i will whip off all the plastic trim on that side and try and find where it is getting in.
Might chuck a new boot seal on, just wonder if any of the seams on that side are leaking.

Its not to bad at the moment, as i have a plastic boot liner / tray in there so all the water drips into that all the carpet and underlay underneath are still dry.
Thanks given by:
Ahh, see mines at a point where the rear bench gets wet (no underlay in the boot, just the carpet), and everything is starting to mould. Really beginning to get on my norks. Censored
Thanks given by:
Can't think of anywhere in that area to let water in other than boot.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Boot seal I'd say! Take it out, clean it up and refit it.
Thanks given by:
Wiring seal at the top of the boot, I had the same problem and the wiring boot wasn't fitted correctly
Thanks given by:
Slight thread hijack, but should there be something covering this hole?

[attachment=13620]

There is a bung in the one the other side of the boot. Confused
Thanks given by:
(16-02-2014, 02:34 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Slight thread hijack, but should there be something covering this hole?

There is a bung in the one the other side of the boot. Confused

Yep should be the same that side to.
Thanks given by:
Hmmm....could be where my water is getting in then?
Thanks given by:
Discover that problem also, i just put a rubber between the light and body, but i didn't test if the water come in, is not a final solution..
Thanks given by:
Think i have fixed it, as the weather was better yesterday i took the boot seal off and cleaned it up, and where the boot seal fits on the pass side, there was a gap where all the panels join, looks like some of the old seam sealer had gone, so cleaned all that up and got a new tube of seam sealer, ran a bead of it along covering all the gaps, and then ran a nice bead of it into the under side of the seal and re fitted it.

It has been raining most of the night and all morning here and so far the boot is nice and dry.

[quote='WiNgNuTz' pid='392978' dateline='1392561295']
Slight thread hijack, but should there be something covering this hole?

Mines got a little vent in that hole
Thanks given by:
Titch I think the vent is higher up and what seam sealer did you use, is it non setting?
Thanks given by:
@wingnutz there should be a plastic vent/grill there, id a leak in my boot and couldnt find it i eventually took out those plactic vents and the round bungs and put sealant on the lips of them seems to have stopped it, fingers crossed lol.
Thanks given by:
(17-02-2014, 10:21 PM)ConorTRG Wrote: @wingnutz there should be a plastic vent/grill there, id a leak in my boot and couldnt find it i eventually took out those plactic vents and the round bungs and put sealant on the lips of them seems to have stopped it, fingers crossed lol.

The vent is higher up. There should be a blank fitted there.
Thanks given by:
Right enough lol, it was those 2 bottom blanks that i sealed.
Thanks given by:
(17-02-2014, 10:03 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Titch I think the vent is higher up and what seam sealer did you use, is it non setting?

Yeah it is non setting, it kind of stays like putty.

It was a cheapo one off ebay i got a little while back for a job on another car
Thanks given by:
Well its been well over a week now, and we have had some really heavy rain and the boot has stayed dry! So all good for the moment.

I have already removed all the boot carpet and underlay as it was a little damp, i guess from where some of the water missed the plastic boot liner and got underneath.
Have replaced all the underlay and replaced the boot carpet.
Also the underlay under the rear seats had seen better day and it was wet and smelt damp.

[Image: IMAG0979_zps969cbb0d.jpg]

So used a bit of the underlay i had left over from doing the boot to do under the seats, i drew round the old one and cut it out.

[Image: IMAG0977_zps7bc0cb61.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0978_zps99df1b60.jpg]

Had an old dehumidifier in the car over night last night, and fitted the underlay this morning, it was a good fit, so hopefully the car should be all nice and dry now, until the next leak appears ! Confused

[Image: IMAG0980_zps37f85235.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boot build ideas Ben Jay 15 3,169 15-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Ben Jay
  water leaking inside Frosty 48 11,317 09-02-2014, 09:01 AM
Last Post: mikey b
  water in l/h side oh boot? paul7278 3 1,013 01-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Grant