water leaking inside

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
water leaking inside
I have got water getting in my car by the relays and fuse box which really isn't ideal! And then I went out to my car this morning there had been a fair bit that had got in as the drivers foot well was soaked and it has never done that before. I had this problem back along when it rain a fair bit but have only just had a lot more rain last night. Does anyone have any ideas where it could be getting in? Could really do with sorting it before it does some serious damage
Thanks given by:
Not loosing any coolant are you? If not, heater matrix is ok.
Do you have a sunroof? If you do, i would say it could be blocked sun roof drains or failing that, dodgy drivers door seal.
Oh or, i had a weird leak in my car in a similar area. Turned out to be the 13mm dash fixing bolt that goes through the bulk head behind the wiper motor. The well where the motor sits had filled up with crap and was holding the water. Cleared it all out, cleared the drain and sealed the bolt and its been fine since.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2013, 02:12 PM)Niall Wrote: Not loosing any coolant are you? If not, heater matrix is ok.
Do you have a sunroof? If you do, i would say it could be blocked sun roof drains or failing that, dodgy drivers door seal.
Oh or, i had a weird leak in my car in a similar area. Turned out to be the 13mm dash fixing bolt that goes through the bulk head behind the wiper motor. The well where the motor sits had filled up with crap and was holding the water. Cleared it all out, cleared the drain and sealed the bolt and its been fine since.

Coolant is all ok and it doesn't smell like coolant.
I do have a sunroof and the drains seem to drain fine when I poor water down them. Also blow them with a air blower just to make sure.
I changed the door seal the other day and it didn't look wet round the seal.
I did just check the 13mm bolts that hold the dash and I got them a tad tighter but nothing major.

I also just took the dash loom connector off and cleaned the seal and put a little bit of rubber grease on to help it seal but I don't think that was the problem as it looked dry.

I hate water leaks Angry
Thanks given by:
check the front wiper motor under it is rain drain hole into the wheel arch
if these get blocked water floods the wiper motor and poors in the connector block above the fuse box Wink
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2013, 02:53 PM)cully Wrote: check the front wiper motor under it is rain drain hole into the wheel arch
if these get blocked water floods the wiper motor and poors in the connector block above the fuse box Wink

Yep that's all checked and clear.

This maybe a silly suggestion but what about the windscreen not being sealed properly?

Its just strange that this has only just started happening when I have had the car over 3 years and never had it happen before
Thanks given by:
Cover the car in a layer of silicone see if it still leaks Wink

Did you have the screen out when you did the roof?
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2013, 07:03 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: Cover the car in a layer of silicone see if it still leaks Wink

Did you have the screen out when you did the roof?

No screen stayed in but the sunroof was took out
Thanks given by:
Could it be running forward from there or the aerial? Any dampness on the a pillars?

Checked for a split in the floor like mine? Lol
Thanks given by:
The aerial was leaking but I hopefully sealed that up today but I can't see that leaking water down to the relays. A pillar seems dry as well

Its defo not the floor as the water is coming from higher up than the relays
Thanks given by:
Any cracks/splits/little holes in the bulkhead?

When my aerial leaked I only had water on the seats and in the light, so I don't think that is your problem unless it's a few little leaks?
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
I couldn't see any damage to the bulkhead.

The roof lining is all wet along the front after all the heavy rain last night. My plan is to take to roof lining out tonight. I'm thinking it maybe something to do with the sunroof as I had that out when I had the roof re sprayed and it never leaked before
Thanks given by:
Sounds like that maybe your issue, rubber not sitting correctly etc. Fingers it gets sorted asap

Thanks given by:
(21-10-2013, 02:21 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: Sounds like that maybe your issue, rubber not sitting correctly etc. Fingers it gets sorted asap

What rubber do you reckon isn't seating correctly? For the sunroof?
Thanks given by:
The water is defo getting in by the sunroof but I cant work out how it is getting to the relays.

I need to have a better look tomorrow but im not sure how it is leaking. I guess the sunroof isn't sealed up very well. The sunroof that come out of the car when I had the roof done had been sealed up a fair bit and didn't look good so I put another 1 in but now I guess there was a good reason for all the sealant
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2013, 02:41 PM)Frosty Wrote:
(21-10-2013, 02:21 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: Sounds like that maybe your issue, rubber not sitting correctly etc. Fingers it gets sorted asap

What rubber do you reckon isn't seating correctly? For the sunroof?

I've never had a sunroof in a pug but from what you said about the leak not being there before the sunroof was replaced, so guessing it's not sealing somewhere since being changed

Any metal work rusted in and around the sunroof area?

Thanks given by:
It all pretty solid round the sunroof though I think I will drop the sunroof out and have a look.

I'm not really sure how the sunroofs seal as when I took the sunroof out the s16 to go in the d turbo it seem to just have a bit of foam
Thanks given by:
The sunroof isnt meant to seal, its meant to leak a bit, thats what the drains are for...

Are you sure its not coming in the door seals? Does the IR dome fill with water above your head? or all dry? If so i suspect its coming in the top door seal, running down behind the door card and then into the footwells....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(22-10-2013, 12:35 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: The sunroof isnt meant to seal, its meant to leak a bit, thats what the drains are for...

Are you sure its not coming in the door seals? Does the IR dome fill with water above your head? or all dry? If so i suspect its coming in the top door seal, running down behind the door card and then into the footwells....

I have prob not worded it very well. It's leaking from the sunroof frame. I will try and get some pics

[Image: null_zpsa386eabc.jpg]

[Image: null_zpsfeafb245.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Coat the joint in silicone or will that cause other issues??

Thanks given by:
My plan is to fit another sunroof I've got but before I fit it seal some bits up and then when I fit it use some sealant on the foam seal.

I will try and get some pics of the sunroof I got to go in and show the bits I'm going to seal up etc
Thanks given by:
(22-10-2013, 08:53 PM)Frosty Wrote: My plan is to fit another sunroof I've got but before I fit it seal some bits up and then when I fit it use some sealant on the foam seal.

I will try and get some pics of the sunroof I got to go in and show the bits I'm going to seal up etc

Bet your not the only one who's going to have this issue..sticky?

Thanks given by:
Its probably the rubber seal in there that you've sealed around if you get me.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(22-10-2013, 10:33 PM)Tom Wrote: Its probably the rubber seal in there that you've sealed around if you get me.

I think I know which bit your on about apart from the seal is foam so not really a very good design but when I fit it I will but some sealant on it
Thanks given by:
Yeah the seal that i assume is in between the sunroof and the underside of the cars roof?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2013, 09:49 AM)Tom Wrote: Yeah the seal that i assume is in between the sunroof and the underside of the cars roof?

Yeah its like a foam seal that's on the sunroof that sits between the sunroof and the roof. My plan with the sunroof im going to put in is to put some sealant onto the foam bit to help it seal better
Thanks given by:
Last night I parked my car facing up hill to see where the water was in the morning as I usually park facing down hill and it therefor always leaks at the front. So when I went out this morning the water was leaking a bit out the back and the front was dry. Im not really sure how it is coming out the back though but im going the seal all the corners up and need to double check the drains

[Image: null_zpsb4f36f56.jpg]

So I have got another sunroof to go in and im trying to seal it up a bit better before I fit it. I think the foam seal round the front of the sunroof is my main problem as I don't think that is sealing. So my plan for that is to put some sealant on the foam bit when I fit the sun roof. A few pics of the foam seal

[Image: null_zpsc1bc3d02.jpg]

[Image: null_zps09650fa2.jpg]

I'm sealing up the corners on the sunroof as well as I want to be sure there all sealed up

[Image: null_zpsf99f3cdf.jpg]

[Image: null_zps929556a3.jpg]

And sealed up, not pretty but hopefully will do the job

[Image: null_zpsa9d280ae.jpg]

[Image: null_zpsc32bb6eb.jpg]

Hopefully going to put the sunroof in Friday
Thanks given by:
Foam... What genius thought foam would actually be a good idea?!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
So this morning I go out to my car and the passenger foot well is full of water Sad It was dropping from here

[Image: null_zps19151ece.jpg]

It seems to high and to far forward to be sunroof

And it drips in the back from here

[Image: null_zps57d643a8.jpg]

I hate my car
Thanks given by:
perhaps its trying to tell you that its only a summer car?
Thanks given by:
Lol, my 205 suffers from leaking too, it's a Peugeot thing, non-optional factory extra!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Water leaking into the boot thought it was the light but it's not any ideas? titch 20 3,750 23-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Last Post: titch
  water inside....when it should be outside Piggy 8 1,560 10-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Piggy
Thumbs Down Heater problems/water inside Sian 19 3,517 04-10-2013, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Sian