205 GLD Sleeper :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
205 GLD Sleeper :)
By changing the shims that sit between the top of the valve and the underside of the buckets to ones of the appropriate thickness.

As said, if you've got everything back in the original place and only lapped the valves in lightly then the clearances should be reasonable, but it's well worth double checking whilst the engine is out of the car as you'll need to remove the cam to change the shims if the clearances are wrong.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Ok thanks will have a look but I'm sure the buckets got mixed up when putting them back on as I thought it was the valves that have to be in the right order. Suppose I live and learn just gonna be a massive pain working out what's what now Undecided

Thanks given by:
Getting there mate Smile bet your not looking forward to moving that engine to front of house!
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2014, 03:45 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Getting there mate Smile bet your not looking forward to moving that engine to front of house!

It's gonna be a right pain got trolley to put it on but got a flight of stairs to get up so will be fun.

I will be very surprised if it ever runs again tbh

Thanks given by:
Well the valve clearances are all f**ked up on this, completely given up to gonna leave it for a few days now, and deiced what im doing because im not sure its worth the stress and hassle to get it done anymore Angry

Thanks given by:
Whats wrong with them?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
My god too many people throw the towel in to easily. Don't give up, have a couple of days away from it

Also I can't work out how the valve clearances can be described as f*cked. What's actually wrong with them?
Thanks given by:
Got 2 cylinders right and other 2 are non existent so need smaller shims really just fed up with the stress with it spent 5 hours on it and got no further spent more money on tools.....

Just given up for now will decide what I'm doing over next few days.

Thanks given by:
So its not f*cked your just need some shims?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(13-02-2014, 01:42 PM)Tom Wrote: So its not f*cked your just need some shims?

In a word yes ha ha, was feeling the anger when I wrote it lol

I've never been so stressed in my life, just giveing up for now and taking a brake from it will look at it again in a few weeks maybe because I was so close to a braking thread

Thanks given by:
That would be stupid. I get stressed with mine but then mine is my only car, when its f*cked i cant go anywhere. Yours is just a hobby, your in trouble if you get fed up with your hobby lol!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Look on the bright side - it's much easier to sort out with the engine still out of the car, and if you've got two cylinders with correct clearances then it shouldn't be too difficult sorting the other two - after all, absolute worst case it's four new shims and removing/refitting the cam a few times to measure.

If it's stressing you out then just leave it for a while and tackle it with a fresh head next week.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
My thing is with it my money could go else we're as I need to get saving up for some personal changes in my life soon, I didn't no these changes were gonna happen when I started the project. So the fact this ows me over £1,000 and I could have saved that really piss's me off, but nothing I can do about it now, I have the 106 that is so reliable I just keep thinking is there any point in continuing with it. I could brake it and get some of my money back put that in to savings just live with 106. Even if I finish this I see that it's day's are numbered before its even built.

So that brings me on to something else what's it worth with all these goodies with 11month mot and 5 month tax?

Thanks given by:
f*ck all it's a 5 door Wink

Seriously just crack on Smile

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(13-02-2014, 02:10 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: f*ck all it's a 5 door Wink

Seriously just crack on Smile

Oh you give me loads of faith for carrying on then if it's not worth anything lol

Thanks given by:
Un finished? Its worth f*ck all. To get half decent money it needs finishing. When its finished you wont give up on it lol!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Just have a break from it and go back to it with a fresh head Smile

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(13-02-2014, 01:23 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: Well the valve clearances are all f**ked up on this, completely given up to gonna leave it for a few days now, and deiced what im doing because im not sure its worth the stress and hassle to get it done anymore Angry

Just back off as you say for a few days and come back to it, better starting again with a clear head. it could be just something daft, that's gone wrong. I have been there with my car. Just left it a lone for a few days or went onto something else. Then sorted what ever was at fault. I found things went more smoother afterwards.

also chris, just to give you a little boost, just think this could be you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVpXQsYtSYI
Thanks given by:
(13-02-2014, 02:14 PM)Tom Wrote: Un finished? Its worth f*ck all. To get half decent money it needs finishing. When its finished you wont give up on it lol!

I ment complete and finished, it won't get taxed and mot'ed till it's road worth lol

@procta that does look fun, but let's say I go abit to quick in to a corner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEn3jq35...ata_player

It's not gonna end well Undecided

Thanks given by:
(13-02-2014, 02:28 PM)Chris_90 Wrote:
(13-02-2014, 02:14 PM)Tom Wrote: Un finished? Its worth f*ck all. To get half decent money it needs finishing. When its finished you wont give up on it lol!

I ment complete and finished, it won't get taxed and mot'ed till it's road worth lol

@procta that does look fun, but let's say I go abit to quick in to a corner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEn3jq35...ata_player

It's not gonna end well Undecided

that's the least of your worries chris! what about me? id just as f*cked too, if not worse! but at least we wouldn't feel it or see it coming lol!
but keep that video I posted in mind, as that will be you chasing some one, only difference the car will be a derv! just think what the cossie driver would think if it was you with this, chasing him! A 205 derv chasing a cossie around a track and in the corners up the arse of him.
Thanks given by:
Don't crash then - that approach has worked for me in over 10 years of 205 ownership Big Grin

Honestly, if you're that woried then why are you driving an aged small French tin can?

I'm not convinced that crash test is particularly representative anyway - firstly a head on into a lamppost will be much much worse than an impact across the entire front of the car, particularly in a 205 where there is absolutely no strength between the headlights, and secondly, I don't think there is an engine fitted in that car which obviously would take much of the impact energy away before reaching the passenger compartment.

Certainly I've seen friends walk away from some big accidents in 205's over the years without harm.

Oh, and a 106 doesn't look like it does much better...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LClF6rVL-c

That's really quite bad considering that's a much "kinder" test than the lamp post one in the 205 video, although it's not immediately clear how fast that test was - other than "in excess of 40mph" - and obviously looks particularly bad for the dummies as there's no seat belts to restrain them.
Thanks given by:
I will be worried about safety but just not right now.

Any way even tho I said I'm having a brake from the engine building, got a shim out of old head took grinder to it measuring it every few pass's with the gauge got it to were I wanted it dropped it in and it's bang on so left it for now will continue on Saturday......

Thanks given by:
(13-02-2014, 03:55 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: I will be worried about safety but just not right now.

Any way even tho I said I'm having a brake from the engine building, got a shim out of old head took grinder to it measuring it every few pass's with the gauge got it to were I wanted it dropped it in and it's bang on so left it for now will continue on Saturday......

Has this car got any toys? ie electric windows. As you could look into retro fitting something like that in for a change, Or thin out of the car loom etc.
Thanks given by:
It's bog standard it has a sunroof that doesn't open that's about it lol

In other news just be smacked in the head by a metal bar I was using for to hold the cambelt tensioner lol

Thanks given by:
Crack on pal...I was ready to quit a few times over with mine...so glad I didnt Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Is the bar ok ? lol jokes

Stick at it mate you know where i am if you need a hand

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(13-02-2014, 04:06 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: It's bog standard it has a sunroof that doesn't open that's about it lol

In other news just be smacked in the head by a metal bar I was using for to hold the cambelt tensioner lol

Ah so no unwanted weight in the car, plus less shite to go wrong! and having a car been so raw, really connects you with the car and road!
I have been lashed in the gob with a gearlinkage, when was fitting it, and burned and cut me hands open too, got to say, its seriously good for you! A bit of pain never hurt anyone! also a good swearing and shouting really works too!
Thanks given by:
(13-02-2014, 04:31 PM)Piggy Wrote: Crack on pal...I was ready to quit a few times over with mine...so glad I didnt Smile

I won't quit just yet just get in that monument of anger and rage were I think f**k this, if I can grind these shims down to the right size engine might still be in this weekend Wink won't be running but will be in Smile

(13-02-2014, 04:32 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Is the bar ok ? lol jokes

Stick at it mate you know where i am if you need a hand

Ha ha! Didn't hurt as much as I thought it would all tho didn't realise I cut it open till I wiped my forehead lol and thanks will let you no if I need a hand Smile

(13-02-2014, 05:45 PM)procta Wrote:
(13-02-2014, 04:06 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: It's bog standard it has a sunroof that doesn't open that's about it lol

Ah so no unwanted weight in the car, plus less shite to go wrong! and having a car been so raw, really connects you with the car and road!
I have been lashed in the gob with a gearlinkage, when was fitting it, and burned and cut me hands open too, got to say, its seriously good for you! A bit of pain never hurt anyone! also a good swearing and shouting really works too!

Yer it's very basic best way that's how I like them Wink and defo swearing some times helps lol I find hitting things really hard with a hard object relieves a bit if stress, all tho saying that I've now broke the shed floor Undecided

Thanks given by:
Is there no way you could get some different size shim? I wouldn't advise grinding them tbh
Thanks given by:
(13-02-2014, 10:54 PM)Frosty Wrote: Is there no way you could get some different size shim? I wouldn't advise grinding them tbh

No idea were to get them from? Plus working out the right size I need is a mega pain because I haven't got something that will read that fine of measurement.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  theodore the xud turbo sleeper. pugmanxud 51 8,013 22-05-2016, 12:56 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  205 DT sleeper - boosting video pg10 and pg11 ginge191 466 261,286 29-10-2013, 06:02 AM
Last Post: ginge191
  Phase 1 sigma sleeper pug_dturb 3 2,116 21-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Last Post: pug_dturb