Carl Chambers Rallye

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carl Chambers Rallye
Amen.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
People enjoy cars in different ways though, do they not? Some people are all about how one goes around a corner, some how fast it goes and some will enjoy looking at them. It still comes down to the fact that it's up to the owner of the car!

As said, he has loads to play with, why not keep one as a show piece?
Thanks given by:
In my mind it would be like never letting a race horse run or never tasting a prize winning wine
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2014, 12:05 PM)Rippthrough Wrote:
(20-01-2014, 07:18 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: What a silly comment.

Not really, cars are made to be driven, I see no point in having a car renowned for it's driving experience that you don't drive.

Same as all these low milage supercars and racecars you see in people's collections, it's a complete waste of the car, you may as well just have a replica made out of some body panels, stick it in a corner on display and let someone actually drive the real car and enjoy doing what it was designed to do. The 'art' in a car like the Rallye is how it drives, not how it looks.

Trouble is, someone has to preserve just one. And that's all we're talking about here - one car.

Years down the line when it could be in some museum piece people aren't going to want a knackered one on display that's had the rear beam worn out and the bushes all buggered up 'because we wanted to see how it drives' because there are lots out there to be driven. I'd have thought someone who appreciates the engineering (simple as a 306 may be) would embrace the fact that one is being preserved in a world where all modern cars have seemingly more and more complex suspension setups.

At the end of the day though, it's his car to do with it what he pleases! I'm not sure why it's sparked quite such a debate...

(21-01-2014, 12:30 PM)Piggy Wrote: In my mind it would be like never letting a race horse run or never tasting a prize winning wine

But that's backwards.

It would be like having 500 genetically-engineered identical race horses and letting all of them run bar 1.

It would be like corking 500 bottles of prize-winning wine and drinking all but one bottle. In fact, that almost makes sense...

Do you see what I mean yet?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2014, 12:31 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: ...I'd have thought someone who appreciates the engineering...

Exactly, the engineers intend it's best characteristics to be shown whilst driving it. It's an insult to the engineering involved not to drive it in my eyes!
And as you say, they're simple cars, if someone wants to keep one running for 50 years there's no issues with spares and replacement parts.

If you look at really old stuff it's always the provenance, period upgrades and the history of use of the car that's more important than the condition of the car itself anyway, so I'm not the only one...
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Top bloke, cars like the Rallye which are fairly rare anyway (don't think I've ever seen one on the road) should be used and cared for, but kept pristine for the future when it'll be a classic and when we're all 50+ we'll open a magazine and think "wowwww, that's a proper classic!"
1.9 diesel Phase 2 - scrapped
1.8 meridian Phase 3 - going strong!
Thanks given by:
Who says this is being preserved for a museum?
What's to prevent someone from paying top dollar in the future to drive a car that is no longer seen on british roads for the experience of it?

If I won the lottery in 20 years and could buy and drive this I would!
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
This really is a very pointless argument. Firstly its his car so he can do what he wants. Secondly as others have said he has an entire range of cars to choose from. If you ahve the money and can afford lots of cars then why not keep one mint? Its obviously something that keeps him and others happy.

[Image: 8066197099_538d5b2b24_z.jpg]
Thanks given by:
People arnt tellling him what to do though, theyre just saying if they had it they would do something different with it . No ones phoning him up to tell him his use is wrong .
I guess this debate is similar to how one eats a cremeegg
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2014, 12:58 PM)lolsteve Wrote: People arnt tellling him what to do though, theyre just saying if they had it they would do something different with it . No ones phoning him up to tell him his use is wrong .
I guess this debate is similar to how one eats a cremeegg

sorry didnt mean to come across so harsh. As for cream eggs... i take it whole.
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2014, 01:06 PM)SRowell Wrote: i take it whole.

you heard it here first folks
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2014, 12:31 PM)C.A.R. Wrote:
(21-01-2014, 12:05 PM)Rippthrough Wrote:
(20-01-2014, 07:18 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: What a silly comment.

Not really, cars are made to be driven, I see no point in having a car renowned for it's driving experience that you don't drive.

Same as all these low milage supercars and racecars you see in people's collections, it's a complete waste of the car, you may as well just have a replica made out of some body panels, stick it in a corner on display and let someone actually drive the real car and enjoy doing what it was designed to do. The 'art' in a car like the Rallye is how it drives, not how it looks.

Trouble is, someone has to preserve just one. And that's all we're talking about here - one car.

Years down the line when it could be in some museum piece people aren't going to want a knackered one on display that's had the rear beam worn out and the bushes all buggered up 'because we wanted to see how it drives' because there are lots out there to be driven. I'd have thought someone who appreciates the engineering (simple as a 306 may be) would embrace the fact that one is being preserved in a world where all modern cars have seemingly more and more complex suspension setups.

At the end of the day though, it's his car to do with it what he pleases! I'm not sure why it's sparked quite such a debate...

(21-01-2014, 12:30 PM)Piggy Wrote: In my mind it would be like never letting a race horse run or never tasting a prize winning wine

But that's backwards.

It would be like having 500 genetically-engineered identical race horses and letting all of them run bar 1.

It would be like corking 500 bottles of prize-winning wine and drinking all but one bottle. In fact, that almost makes sense...

Do you see what I mean yet?

No, coz still that last bottle or horse is a waste and pointless...theres no joy from it.

And I would be happier seeing one with bad rear camber and a few dings and frosted up headlights in a museum knowing its been used for what it was intended for.

And yeah Im not going to tell him what to do, its just forum banter/chat
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I'm sure if you went to a motor heritage museum and it was full of battered up old cars, you would ask for your money back lol I know 99% of any other visitors would...
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2014, 01:38 PM)Grant Wrote: I'm sure if you went to a motor heritage museum and it was full of battered up old cars, you would ask for your money back lol I know 99% of any other visitors would...

This. When you consider how many 306s were built, 1 not being driven is not a massive deal. There's probably been more than that written off as damaged stock before they even touched the Tarmac!
IMO there is nothing wrong with keeping 1 mint for future generations to see how we used to do things.
Not only that, it's probably a investment to Carl. How much is that going to be worth to a motor museum in 15-20 years? A lot I would imagine
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Yeah, imagine how much itll be worth in 50-100 years. I'd love to be able to afford a limited addition hatch and just keep it till i retire as an investment (although houses are a better investment)
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2014, 01:38 PM)Grant Wrote: I'm sure if you went to a motor heritage museum and it was full of battered up old cars, you would ask for your money back lol I know 99% of any other visitors would...

I would pay more...esp as each one would come with a decent story behind it, rather than "it was kept in this barn for X years then this owner bought it and polished it for the next X years then we aquired it and have had it since then"
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I take it this is your kinda museum piece Piggy? Definitely got a story to go with it! lol

[Image: Picture003.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2014, 06:28 PM)Piggy Wrote: I would pay more...esp as each one would come with a decent story behind it, rather than "it was kept in this barn for X years then this owner bought it and polished it for the next X years then we aquired it and have had it since then"

Piggy of course you're going to say that as you'd argue black was white, you'll argue it until people give up.

Fair play if that's your views, this thread was only started to show what a decent feature it is & to see the Rallye, fair play to Carl for preserving one so that in years to come its possible to see the quality of production at that time, there are 100's of other Rallyes on the road that you can show people have been ragged around that let's face it won't be around in 50yrs, whereas this will be a concourse model that our grand kids can show their kids in years to come...
Thanks given by:
I fear you may be in the minority for a change with that one, Piggy...
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2014, 06:33 PM)Curt Wrote: I fear you may be in the minority for a change with that one, Piggy...

Never....
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
>>> all for a pair of tweeter surrounds....
Thanks given by:
haha didnt realise it would cause this much of a debate
Heart 306
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2014, 06:47 PM)Nadine Wrote: haha didnt realise it would cause this much of a debate

Lol its all constructive.
If you do have the old type cam pullies, do consider getting a set of single bolt ones for them to seal over when they do the cam belt. What reg is your car?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
In my eyes fair play to Carl, different opinions to what people want and he has a touring car replica to race with so why not have mint car aswell
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2014, 06:50 PM)Niall Wrote:
(21-01-2014, 06:47 PM)Nadine Wrote: haha didnt realise it would cause this much of a debate

Lol its all constructive.
If you do have the old type cam pullies, do consider getting a set of single bolt ones for them to seal over when they do the cam belt. What reg is your car?

>> thread jump @niall ... i have since sacked off the snapper .. but i will check out the amount of bolts in me blaze... however its off the road anyways at the mo .. are the pully,s interchangable or would i need to change the camms to prevent this top pully issue???.. thanks.... and yea nadine ... coulda sent ya sum tweeter surrounds for pence... lol!
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2014, 06:50 PM)sam Wrote: In my eyes fair play to Carl, different opinions to what people want and he has a touring car replica to race with so why not have mint car aswell

Exactly this. He has pretty much covered all the bases covered in this topic. He has at least 3 BTCC peugeots, and a minter in a peugeot office somewhere. Good on him.

One thing is for sure though. Piggy, when you open a museum of your old battered up worn out cars, count me out lmao

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
pulllies are interchangeable. Just unbolt the old and bolt the new on. You will need the bolts that go with the later type as well.

Edit: what the hell. How have i managed to talk about a different subject in this thread? lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(21-01-2014, 06:58 PM)Grant Wrote: One thing is for sure though. Piggy, when you open a museum of your old battered up worn out cars, count me out lmao

so you wouldnt wana see sennas broken F1 car, Makinnens bashed up Evo, a torn up mk1 monte carlo rally mini...??
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ofcourse. That's because of the fame behind them. We are talking about just another rallye. But i also would expect there to be some fine examples there. If all i wanted was wrecks, I would visit the scrappy.

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2014, 07:07 PM)Grant Wrote: Ofcourse. That's because of the fame behind them. We are talking about just another rallye. But i also would expect there to be some fine examples there. If all i wanted was wrecks, I would visit the dumdums back garden.

EFA
Team Eaton

Thanks given by: