205 HDi :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
205 HDi :)
Ahhh cool was talking to my friend at work about a hdi engine in a 205, this is going to be interesting good work dude
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
A 205 DW10 or a 106 DV6 would make cars I think, well worth the hassle Smile
Thanks given by:
With plenty of spares I completed building the engine, taking rough measurements it turns out the rear engine mount/intermediate bearing housing are in the same place so that should save having to cut/weld the rear fork.
Started building up the intake and boost pipes -

[Image: DSC00013-1.jpg]

Initially I wanted to make the intake an improved version of the original intake so this was version 1 -

[Image: DSC00021.jpg][Image: DSC00019-1.jpg]

Then decided that I was going to chargecool the engine and it was going to get in the way so settled on this-

[Image: DSC01160.jpg]

The MAF sensor fits directly in the 3" pipe then it goes off to the filter.

For the boost pipes, I wanted to take them up the tradesmans (oooeerr missus) side of the engine to keep pipe runs as short as poss. I made a little jig so the cooler and engine were in roughly the right place then made the pipes-

[Image: DSC00251.jpg][Image: DSC00249.jpg]
Then made a stainless version or the rear pipe -
[Image: DSC00178-1.jpg]

With the pipes pretty much done it was time to tackle the wiring. The common rail fuel system is taken care of by a Bosch EDC15C2 ECU and all its various sensors. Below is a pic of the engine loom and ECU -

[Image: DSC00030.jpg]

I stripped the loom back to bare wires and removed anything related to the following-
EGR
Aircon
3rd piston deactivator
Additional heating system
Fuel cut off switch

I also shortened the remaining loom by approx 15" as there was too much spare wire for were I had decided to fit the ECU. The ECU has to have the immo codes removed for the engine to work outside of the original vehicle, I think it has some sort of hand shake system with the alarm/BSI and until its happy it will prevent the car from starting.
Luckily there was an ECU on Ebay with the codes removed so I purchaced that and got another one with the same HW/SW as a spare for when I start mapping it.

[Image: DSC00031.jpg][Image: DSC00032-2.jpg]

Once the loom etc.. was finished it was clear that the rest of the work had to be done on the car, I moved the battery to the boot to create space-

[Image: DSC00033-1.jpg]

Managed to scrape some pennies together and buy another WVO daily driver, 2.5td Mercedes-

[Image: IMAG0709.jpg]

And the 205 was finally rolled into the Batcave at 180k of almost trouble free motoring.
Thanks given by:
Like the merc! <3
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(08-02-2014, 12:19 PM)silverzx Wrote: Like the merc! <3

Was a great car that, engine had plenty of grunt. Had many problems running it on WVO mainly with whats called the 'saddle tank' fuel tank. It would say 1/3rd of a tank left then run out of fuel which as you can imagine is pretty dangerous.
Thanks given by:
What merc is that? I'm on the look out at other veg runners

Btw awesome work on the engine! Looks like it's gonna be epic!

Thanks given by:
Oh yeah, engine work looks keen too. Tongue
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
LOL cheers Smile

Chris_90 its a C250 sport turbodiesel. If I'd bothered sorting the fuel system out properly for WVO I'm sure I'd of kept that car for many many years. Knowing what needs to be done I'd deffo get another Smile
Thanks given by:
ooooh c250, home of the gt20 Tongue
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(08-02-2014, 06:11 PM)padge Wrote: ooooh c250, home of the gt20 Tongue

Vacuum controlled, it had 150hp/280Nm standard with no derv smog. Its probably my next project, OM605 engine in a 190d or a 106 DV6 Smile
Thanks given by:
Engine looks tidy, pipework looks like a good job too!
[Image: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-00000000014E_zpsprynorkl.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Armed with plenty of Stella, Amber Leaf and a garage crammed with stuff I started to remove the engine out of the 205. Emptied all the fluids and started to take off things that would make engine removal easier which includes the lower radiator support.
[Image: IMAG0015.jpg][Image: IMAG0347.jpg]

With the gearbox removed I could then get the trolley jack in to support the engine and in theory wheel the engine out of the gap. So in full drunken mechanic mode I withdrew the block head etc....

[Image: IMAG0359.jpg]

20 yrs worth of veg/road grime

[Image: IMAG0363.jpg]

With the engine out I gave the bay a good clean, removed the subframe and steam cleaned it then replaced slit balljoint boots, droplinks, brake calipers etc....
From taking a few measurements I found that the master cylinder was going to be very close to the cam cover so it had a trim.
[Image: IMAG0438.jpg][Image: IMAG0446.jpg]

Now the smaller jobs were done I wheeled the new engine into its new home-

[Image: IMAG0396.jpg]

Before I could fit the gearbox a couple of things had to be done-
Move gear rod mount.
Change gear selector arm.
Swap the toothed gear from the xud diff to the Hdi diff-
[Image: IMAG0409.jpg]
Then got it fitted onto the engnie/car-
[Image: IMAG0429.jpg]

Next up the faff that is the cooling system........
Thanks given by:
Wahooo!!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
This rates as highly I my books as darrens mtdi project ...keep it up ...gonna be an absolute monster when its done
Thanks given by:
Great progress!! Looking good

Thanks given by:
Thought i'd commented in here already... Hmm You already know what i think of it anyway lol, cannot WAIT to see it done. Big Grin
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Thanks chaps, I've already driven it breifly when we moved house, it felt and sounded awesome until a boost hose popped off and I couldn't get the bloody bonnet open to sort it. Dodgy

Once my holiday in 2 weeks is out the way I will be able to get it road worthy and then the fun will begin Smile
Thanks given by:
Great looking build thread this. Should be a hoot in a 205!

On a side-note, is that a cheapo Parweld helmet I see in the one pic? How do you find it? I've recommended one to zx_volcane as a good starter/hobby unit as I was well impresssed with it considering the price.
Thanks given by:
(16-02-2014, 04:48 PM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: Great looking build thread this. Should be a hoot in a 205!

On a side-note, is that a cheapo Parweld helmet I see in the one pic? How do you find it? I've recommended one to zx_volcane as a good starter/hobby unit as I was well impresssed with it considering the price.
Coming from a cheapo face mask onto an auto darkening mask is the best step anyone can make. I paid £40 odd for the Parweld and can't fault it. I've used it mostly for stick/Tig welding and it seems as good as the Esab speedglas/Origo tech we use in work Smile
Thanks given by:
Good to here someone else's experience ta. I've got a speedglas now and I swear if anything it actually flashes me more when working in tight nooks and crannies than the Parweld!
I'll be interested to see how well the charge-cooler performs, keep us up-dated Smile
Thanks given by:
(16-02-2014, 05:30 PM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: Good to here someone else's experience ta. I've got a speedglas now and I swear if anything it actually flashes me more when working in tight nooks and crannies than the Parweld!
I'll be interested to see how well the charge-cooler performs, keep us up-dated Smile

One thing I have done but only because my garage lighting is a bit dim is attach a head torch to it. I find when doing tig welding (still learning) the distance between the tungsten and workpiece is hard to judge.
It has HF start but I'm still dipping the tungsten, the light really helps Smile

As for chargecooling, its been shelved for now as my long term plan involves a gear box mounted VNT and there simply ain't enough space. Bought a BMW intercooler which is the perfect size to fill the gap above the rad Smile
Thanks given by:
awesome project, should be interesting with a HDi in there!

will be interesting when you get her fired up!
Thanks given by:
The plan for the cooling system was to use the original 1.8td rad as it has a large cooling capacity. The Alternator sticks out far too much to use the original cowling/fans-
[Image: IMAG0792.jpg]
I made a frame that used the original radiator support but brought the radiator forward-
[Image: IMAG0904.jpg]
This was ok but when trying to refit the bumper the radiator was in the way. Solution was to cut the front of the car off and build a 1" angle iron frame to support the radiator, this put strength back into area and tilted radiator to allow the bumper to fit.
[Image: 20121104_200227.jpg][Image: 20121217_000543_zps4edc822e.jpg]
Now I was happy the rad was in the correct position the rest of the cooling system was connected up, this was also a PITA and if I ever do it again I will use a different coolant distribution housing, possibly off an 806. With the system topped up I finished off the wiring so I could get the thing running. Rigged up a temp fuel source and charged the battery.......
[Image: IMAG0765.jpg]
Turning a freshly cleaned HDI engine over with no exhaust in a poky little garage wasn't the nicest experience ever but had to be done. After a couple of runs to get oil round things and let it settle down I let it run up to temp and found the stat was seized. Replaced that and ran it again, it was smooth as owt Smile

Quietly chuffed that drunken mechanics works (again) I started to get the rest of the engine related stuff ready, the gear linkage was right in the way of the rear boost pipe. So made a new lower pipe like the C5 pipe and also sorted the down pipe out to connect to the original exhaust.

[Image: IMAG0899.jpg][Image: IMAG0918.jpg][Image: IMAG0920.jpg]

As I had decided to chargecool the engine I got that fitted so the boost pipes could be completed-
[Image: IMG_20131019_120809_zpsbf4d9aa6.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Bad ass! Top work bud!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Loooking well, cant wait to see this shift!
Thanks given by:
This will be most interesting when finished
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Awesome. But whats the black paint on the inlet.
Thanks given by:
(22-02-2014, 06:10 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Awesome. But whats the black paint on the inlet.

Its a specially designed spray which requires no primer and offers high heat resistance and corrosion protection.

Otherwise known as......

BBQ paint Big GrinRoflRoflRofl
Thanks given by:
(22-02-2014, 09:00 PM)Uberderv Wrote:
(22-02-2014, 06:10 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Awesome. But whats the black paint on the inlet.

Its a specially designed spray which requires no primer and offers high heat resistance and corrosion protection.

Otherwise known as......

BBQ paint Big GrinRoflRoflRofl

Very similar to my near indestructible brake paint Hammerite Smile
Thanks given by:
Once the Chargecooler was fitted the bonnet wouldnt shut all the way so I trimmed a bit out of the under frame. My plan was to fit the Chargecooler pre-rad on top of the radiator. I measured it up and researched different coolers, it turned out that a Range rover P38 oil cooler was the perfect size to fit in the space. A mate in work had a knackered one which he gave me to test-

[Image: IMG_20130712_232722_zpsb7958246.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20130712_232759_zps3210f25d.jpg]

Unfortunately, fitting the pre rad there meant that the original bonnet latch was in the way and had to be replaced with pins (There goes the OEM look Sad )
With everything in its rough position I got the bumpers on using a few home made securing methods. Turns out the bottom of the lowered rad framework was peeping out of the bumper, X1 laguna splitter later and it was hidden.

[Image: IMG_20130629_112958_zpse0469c3b.jpg]

At this point we moved house again so work on the car stopped for quite a while. The above pic is the car moving into its new home after sitting outside under a cover for months. Finally got to work on the car and decided that the chargecooler pre rad was going to be too small (no other possible mounting position) . Options were to get a custom thicker pre rad made or intercool the engine. I went for the intercooling option.

The common intercooler which is used on a 205 is the cosworth intercooler, I picked one up but thought with all the hassle its going to cause I might as well get the biggest possible cooler I could.

Cosworth 2wd-

[Image: IMG_20140201_104222_zpsxs9q38bp.jpg]

You can see that there is still a fair bit of space left for more cooling. Bit of research later and I had an intercooler off an E39 BMW which is the perfect fit-

[Image: 20140327_225718_zps040fe392.jpg]

Started to make the new boost pipes-

[Image: 20140327_225743_zps414fb0e5.jpg]

I have had to remove the original fuel filter housing and fit an inline filter as it was in the way. Got to order a couple of silicone hoses to finish the pipe work off. After that its new brakes, New tyres and a drivers seat belt then MOT Big Grin
Thanks given by: