205 HDi :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
205 HDi :)
Hi everyone, a few of you will have seen this before as it has taken me ages to get to this stage.
Some of this will be copied from other forums but if anyone would like pics or info please let me know. Target power is 205hp which will be a reet laugh in a car that weighs about 900kg.

My 205 is a black GRDT with Gti trim, Gti suspension (base hubs) and a lovely beige interior with poverty spec dash. I like its complete lack of electrical gubbins. The original engine was an xud7t which is a non intercooled 1.8td engine. With only 70odd hp you would expect it to be a complete slug but it was suprisingly quick (in diesel terms).

I ran the engine on WVO for 50,000 miles as it had the well known Bosch pump on it. By the time I rolled it into the bat cave the engine had 180k on it and was still going strong so a real thumbs up for the Xud7t.

[Image: DSC00005-1.jpg]

[Image: DSC00001-1.jpg]

[Image: DSC00002-1.jpg]

So its replacement engine is the DW10td common rail engine known as the 2.0l HDI. It is used in many different models/makes but the one I am using is out of a Citroen Xsara. I bought the engine off Ebay for the bargain price of £56, it came in 3 boxes as the previous owner had let his apprentice 'tinker' with it.

I set about getting things nice and clean-

Sump removed exposing the chain driven oil pump-

[Image: DSC00992.jpg]

Oil pump removed to gain access to the crank/pistons-

[Image: DSC01000.jpg]

You can see from the following pics that the pistons have a very special shape as the tip of the injector sits in the middle of the bowl. Fuel is injected via 5 holes in the tip of the injector using immense pressure (1350Bar)

[Image: DSC00997.jpg]

[Image: DSC00998.jpg]
Thanks given by:
have I seen this on the 205 gti forum?
Thanks given by:
Well this is a first..??
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Should be interesting!
[Image: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-00000000014E_zpsprynorkl.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Have seen elsewhere, but certainly alot of win.

Just my kind of project Smile
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Looks very interesting always thought about this before considering it goes straight in. Will be watching.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
Looks very nice, seen a 205 5 door the other day with gti body Kit thought they had made it fit, but now I've seen this guessing they come out the factory like that? Must be extremely rare!

Be nice to see how you get on with the conversion, all tho I bet the wiring side of it is gonna give you a headache lol

Thanks given by:
Well the guy i know who planned to do this is going to be annoyed now! Good luck anyway though bud, will definately be an interesting read.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Keeping it fully ecu controlled with the engine conversion?
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
This is going to be win when it's done keep up the good work
[Image: mike_sig_zpsd438fb98.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Thanks chaps, hope you enjoy reading it. Smile

Pugtk- Yup its on Gtidrivers and TDOCUK.

Ginge191- Not the first but i'm only aware of a few, probably the most well known version is this - http://youtu.be/_SAKnKB4woI he also fitted a twin turbo 2.2hdi in one.

Chris_90- I dont think its a factory fitted option but it is a good replica, maybe bits off different cars like the 309 maybe? I think only the STDT(3 door) came with the GTi gubbins from the factory.

Ozonehostile- Yep fully Ecu controlled, tuning from the driving seat Smile
Thanks given by:
Have you got the Rev counter working? How was the wireing was it difficult to do?
Thanks given by:
I have a set of clocks from the STDT with the rev gauge as my poverty spec dash had a clock instead of tacho. Not got round to fitting it yet but will do in the future.
Thanks given by:
Ahh I see. I have thought about putting a hdi in my 205 but the wireing would completely baffle me lol. I have just gone the xud9 route.
Thanks given by:
So with the engine already in bits I started to strip it down for cleaning. One of the pistons had melted around the top edge so sourced a replacement. You can see the pistons and rods below -

[Image: DSC01001.jpg]

The piston has three rings round it, each has a different job to do.
Bottom - Oil scraper ring
Middle - Thin sealing ring
Top - Thickest sealing ring

They were all removed and cleaned of any carbon build up along with there cut outs in the piston.

[Image: DSC01003.jpg]

[Image: DSC01004.jpg]

I then found that although BBQ cleaner is a very good carbon cleaner and makes life alot easier, it also dissolves the ceramic coating on the skirt of the piston LOL replacement piston number 2 sourced Smile

With the pistons all clean and ready I made a tool to clean the cylinder bores, it was to take off any crap and not metal, worked ok though-

[Image: DSC01006.jpg]

I then gave the Inside/outside of the block a good cleaning, lick of paint and refitted the pistons and crank etc......

[Image: DSC01019.jpg]

[Image: DSC01016.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Are you going to get the deck skimmed? If i was chasing 200bhp its something i would do. Better be safe than sorry kinda thing. Dont do a Piggy throw it all together looking great then had to take it all apart because hes smarter than everyone else...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
No I didnt get it skimmed, checked with a straight edge along with the head. Due to a very limited budget ive had to make certain decisions which might effect future tuning. If owt happens I will have to sort it then. I have measured tolerances etc... so for now i'm happy the engine will hold together. Rofl
Thanks given by:
With the bottom end pretty much sorted -
[Image: DSC01031.jpg]

It was time to do a little bit of work on the head/manifolds. I bought new gaskets and marked out how much material could be removed to make a smooth connection between the head/manifolds.

Cylinder head intake-

[Image: DSC00980.jpg] [Image: DSC00986.jpg]

Inlet manifold-
[Image: DSC00962.jpg]
[Image: DSC00981.jpg]

Cylinder head exhaust had the same gasket matching-

[Image: DSC00985.jpg]

You can see that the exhaust manifold is quite restrictive and full of crap so I gave that a tickle too-

[Image: DSC00949.jpg] [Image: DSC00954.jpg]

[Image: DSC00967.jpg] [Image: DSC00957.jpg] [Image: DSC00956.jpg]

Next up was to find a way to connect the boost pipes to the inlet, normally the 110hp pipe is used but on a 205 it would stick up too far and stop the bonnet from closing. Options are cut a hole in the bonnet... or this -

[Image: DSC00968.jpg][Image: DSC00970.jpg][Image: DSC00983.jpg][Image: DSC00982.jpg]

No EGR gubbins to worry about on this Smile
Thanks given by:
Looking good pal!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Brilliant project mate, will be watching this.
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
looking great, i love how clean you got the manifolds inside...what did you use??

fyi, I used proper gauges to check the head and it still needing skimmed after it blew up within 10seconds of running the first time!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
This looks amazing! So much want for a 205 at the moment...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Cheers everyone Smile

Piggy - Once the manifold work was done I shot blasted it inside and out, made sure there was no grit left in there and gave it a coat of Wd40. The engine has already ran and I've driven the car briefly ( on private land) so fingers crossed it will live long enough to see some serious abuse Smile
Thanks given by:
Very interesting, look forward to see how it comes along Smile
Blaze '6 and Blaze D-turbo!
Thanks given by:
This looks very intresting.. Will keep an eye out for updates on this Smile
Thanks given by:
This is absolute win! Massive fan!
Thanks given by:
Wow you've done loads since I last checked up on this. Looking forward to some videos :-)
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Great project!

200+ bhp in a 205 is just insane, hope you've been looking at roll cages Wink

Will be keeping an eye on this...
Thanks given by:
Don't be fooled it takes me ages to do anything lol. Most of this was done some time ago so even my updates are slow Rofl

It will be a complete weapon once finished so no doubt it will need a cage. I've got a rough plan with various stages I will complete before going further. At the min I'm just getting it roadworthy and reliable.
Thanks given by:
Before going any further it was clear that I would need some spare parts. Few phone calls later I picked this up-
[Image: DSC00049.jpg]

With the gasket matching done and everything clean i started to build the engine back up-
Head cleaned and new stem seals fitted-
[Image: DSC01027.jpg]
[Image: DSC01030.jpg]

New MLS head gasket-
[Image: DSC01038.jpg]

Before fitting the injectors I flushed the nozzles-

[Image: DSC00044-1.jpg][Image: DSC00046-1.jpg]

The nozzle holder was that tight on one of them I managed to snap the spanner and stab myself in the shoulder with it Smile
Few shots of the head on and the fuel system etc...

[Image: DSC01039.jpg][Image: DSC01041.jpg]

With the front of the engine pretty much sorted I started to work on the inlet/exhaust. Before fitting the turbo I treated it to a new set of internals and cleaned up internal casting marks/defects etc...

[Image: DSC00032-1.jpg]

[Image: DSC01045.jpg][Image: C9054.jpg]
[Image: C9055.jpg][Image: DSC01159.jpg]
Thanks given by: