Running decent power with reliability

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running decent power with reliability
Hi all,
Been pretty interested and want to learn about running decent power with a xud but where does reliability stand once your up past a stage one tune say? In particular td04 turbo/modded pump/fmic running average boost as this seems popular from what i've been researching..

Cheers, Andy
Thanks given by:
they can fail even standard mate.
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Stage one on a good tune is fairly safe bolting on a bigger turbo is just a matter of time before it spits a rod but as Kyle said they can go at standard power
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Unless you get hdi rods. Pretty safe until 150+ i would say.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Can be made Safe/reliable if you have deep pockets, depends how far you wanna take it.

Thanks given by:
safe for 250bhp for £3000-4000 we rekon chaps?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
less than 3k id day.
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hmm yeh guess theres gonna be some sort of relation between cost and quality i imagine Tongue

Heard about rod failures on standard cars bit worrying really, what actually happens when these fails?

Cheers again
Thanks given by:
They snap and come out the front of the block lol

Thanks given by:
So what makes the hdi ones much better then?
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2014, 03:30 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: They snap and come out the front of the block lol

or back, or bottom, or all three! lol

(01-01-2014, 03:37 PM)Andy annear Wrote: So what makes the hdi ones much better then?

they are thicker...so would assume stronger.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeh makes sense to me, what is the actual cause then of rod failures? just like more strain / fatigue causes em to let go? and is this the main worry of tuning an xud?

Cheers
Thanks given by:
some on here have stripped engines down, not blown, and found banana shaped rods!! others find the car stops and a rod or two have decided to go sideways

Weak points are the rods, then heads lifting

So Hdi rods or forged rods and ARP studs with a decent MLS HG see you drive happily round all day boosting like a hero
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Its our understanding that XUD rods wernt made very well from the factory just poorly made and generally shit. HDI ones were made later on so the technology that forged them would of been better not to mention they're actually alot chunkier up around the wrist of the rod Smile That and the only people that have broke hdi rods are the people chasing 200bhp+
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2014, 04:51 PM)Piggy Wrote: some on here have stripped engines down, not blown, and found banana shaped rods!! others find the car stops and a rod or two have decided to go sideways

Weak points are the rods, then heads lifting

So Hdi rods or forged rods and ARP studs with a decent MLS HG see you drive happily round all day boosting like a hero

Epic cheers for that, answered a couple questions i had as was also woundering the idea of the head studs as i stumbled across the group buy thing the other day.

As youve said all cases can be different and each cars is different, but whats a general equipment for getting decent power? as i mentioned td04 with pump mods and fmic?
Thanks given by:
Bosch pump. Front mount is pretty important. A bigger turbo will help you out most though!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Got a bosch had darren re-seal it etc as well, could not believe the difference it made to general running of the car, so much smoother and seems more responsive
Thanks given by:
getting an 11mm head on the bosch, lda grind and gov mod are all good upgrades for the pump.

fmic is good but not essential.

inline fuel filter to help flow.

bigger turbo will make biggest difference though
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
that inline fuel filter is it better for running veg or makes no difference really? are there any guides kicking about? il have a search now Tongue

found it http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-16318.ht...uel+filter
Thanks given by:
Can anyone vouch for running good power over a long period of time comfortably?

Andy
Thanks given by:
If your looking for a reliable powerful engine your probably looking at around 2k I'd say that includes

headgasket set
Timing kit
11mm Bosch
Bolt on TD04
Forged rods
ARP studs
FMIC
Uprated clutch
And other little bits n bobs

Think that's all covered to make a fairly reliable 200bhp machine?
Saying that I had a fairly reliable 170bhp engine for over a year which ran at 190bhp in the last 3 months, and survived a cambelt snap. Only got destroyed from run away from excess oil in the intercooler from a turbo dying.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
You thought of a 2.1 conversion?
[Image: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-00000000014E_zpsprynorkl.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(02-01-2014, 06:55 PM)Craigus Wrote: You thought of a 2.1 conversion?

Im interested in seeing a 2.1 with a tdo4 and 11mm pump
Thanks given by:
look at piggys project thread, he has some videos of his on there and seems to go fairly well.
[Image: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-00000000014E_zpsprynorkl.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I wouldNT be looking at anything insane, am just interested in how reliable these can be with td04 n 11mm etc.

Perv what do you mean by 'fairly reliable'?

Cheers
Thanks given by:
(02-01-2014, 07:42 PM)Andy annear Wrote: I would be looking at anything insane, am just interested in how reliable these can be with td04 n 11mm etc.

Perv what do you mean by 'fairly reliable'?

Cheers

With a list like that he means pretty bloody bullet proof!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Interesting read, would be asking same questions if and when I finally find a derv estate lol.

I know there's one in the classifieds but can't get in touch yet, plus need to sell my car first around work lol
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2014, 05:15 PM)Tom Wrote: Its our understanding that XUD rods wernt made very well from the factory just poorly made and generally shit. HDI ones were made later on so the technology that forged them would of been better not to mention they're actually alot chunkier up around the wrist of the rod Smile That and the only people that have broke hdi rods are the people chasing 200bhp+

Have to correct you here, I broke a rod on a hdi at 90bhp.

Can happen to any engine in any state of tune, the joys of a mechanical system.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BIG POWER!! WHAT YOU RUNNING? Logue1996 7 2,774 10-09-2017, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Dave
  Big power reliability? jpderv 41 13,398 31-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Ricky
  Running veg? Power loss? RePT 36 8,134 23-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Last Post: RePT