incar pc

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
incar pc
so yesterday i decided i would start my incar pc with a 7" touch screen replacing vents and standard headunit. would have been easier to get a flip out screen but im not a fan so had to make a double din size hole.

firstly started by relocating the head unit, i could get rid of this completly but i wanted to keep it in their just incase i have any computer issues.

[Image: temporary_zps80a94247.jpg]

[Image: temporary_zps8b27e7eb.jpg]

[Image: temporary_zpsf9e44b1e.jpg]

then for the screen i cut the shit out of the top vents and origional radio location
after something like this.

[Image: temporary_zps7c7705f9.jpg]

so adding lots of bog...

[Image: temporary_zps7a20a1d1.jpg]

[Image: temporary_zpsa41eb220.jpg]

[Image: temporary_zps7f59a85e.jpg]

so thats as far as i have got this morning. think i should have used fiberglass rather than bog but will see how it comes out once i have sanded it down.

will add more as i get round to it.

also the computer being installed will be this one

[Image: 1238111_10151747929936805_942971756_n_zps8ca6e4a5.jpg]

[Image: 1479191_10151747930331805_1645926101_n_zps704652f2.jpg]

im hoping that when its done i can do all live data from car, as well as video, music, dab, maybe internet radio, navigation and phone control
Thanks given by:
Good progress.

Did you completely use filler to do all that though?!
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
i did yeah Sad
wasnt untill i did the test fit in the car i thought. bugger should have used fibreglass lol

i got plenty of it in work so will see how it goes. never used to the stuff before
Thanks given by:
You definitely want fiberglass under there mate. The filler will shrink and crack. It would be a shame to put so much hard work in just to have to do it again

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
it crack when i pre fit it, im just in the middle of using the fibreglass kit to redo it all lol Wink
takes a little longer to dry though Sad
Thanks given by:
More hardener then lol

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
[Image: temporary_zpsf9fbcd40.jpg]

thats a little better, and the shape i wanted in my head to. plan was to sink it back a little so the dash can act as a bit of shade but also wanted to break up the big empty spot at the top. hopfully i have done that
Thanks given by:
Liking the look of this. How are you going to fix it in? Surely not just by the two screws at the bottom either side of the clock?

Looks a lot stronger like that, shape looks to have turned out well too Smile

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Fair play for having a crack at something like this!

With mobile tethering no reason you couldn't do ANYTHING on the PC, just get a wireless/bluetooth keyboard/mouse and away you go!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
In car tech is just awesome!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Ive always wanted to do this to run 5.1 surround sound!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Looks much better now, the filler wouldn't have ended well. You want to use as little filler as possible to avoid it cracking and sinking, just a skim to finish. Flexible filler would be better too, it's more like putty, but will be better at flexing without cracking. As Grant said, if it take too long to fry, use more hardener. It does dry quickly.
Thanks given by:
Mounting wise I plan to mount the screen and then this over it. I still have one of the bolts on the back. Just need to figure it all out.

Also won't.need mouse due to the touch screen. But will defo have keyboard.

Been told to look at a gel coat. Anyone have any info on this?
Thanks given by:
Gelcoat is used for fiberglass and resin applications as t allows more movement before cracking that standard pain. TBH, I've used standard paint with anything i've made before and it has been fine. Works out cheaper Smile

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
That was my idea. I don't need to mess about that way. Can anyone tell me what the closest silver is to the standard dash colour?
Thanks given by:
Hucky someone did find the paint code of the exact colour for it on the 6 forum so have a look on there.
I would get a mouse. I had a Car pc in my old 106 and it was great for simple things but if you needed to do anything else (stopped of course) it was a pain when everything is so small.

Also, what software are you using on it? I used Centrafuse and that was pretty good!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Send it my way and I can flock it Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
niall i has one in a 406 coupe i owned but never was happy with it. i will put a few different front ends on and see which suits me best. alot of them are all to be paid for now so want to make sure i get the one i am happy with. but will have a look for the colour. if i cant find the colour i will end up doing it satin or matt black Sad

as for flocking it. its tempting but not yet. if i do the flocking route i would have the dash done rather than the plastic incerts.

today i have give it a sand down

[Image: temporary_zps2913092f.jpg]

and a coat of filler

[Image: temporary_zps37706f7e.jpg]

this is where i am either going to distroy it and just pay someone to do it or suprise my self. i can not do prep worrk to save my life. painting i am ok with but the whole sanding side of it bores the living daylights out of me
Thanks given by:
Ever heard of the less you put on the less you have to take off? Wink haha
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
If your using P38 filler adding more of the hardener so the paste is pinker makes it easier to sand
Thanks given by:
cheers for the advice Smile
Thanks given by:
(18-12-2013, 10:49 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: If your using P38 filler adding more of the hardener so the paste is pinker makes it easier to sand

But also makes it more brittle
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Looking good mate! Keep the progress pics rolling in! Smile

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
sanded, then some primer filler, more sanding. then some fine surface filler. sanded, primer filler and then gray primer.
little sanding to smooth it ready for paint and the primer filler goes tits up. so had enough of it for now so just going to put it back together as it is for the time being, then may come back to it at a later date.

[Image: temporary_zps3d26e6c9.jpg]

going a little darker than origional but not a million miles out.
vauxhall moonland metalic.

[Image: temporary_zps652c2d26.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The pitting needs more filler, sand back and fill but only level, build it up small layers at a time, and the pitting wont happen, the big pits is just massive gaps in the filler by putting too much on, the air can't escape and stays in. Build up a few layers in the dodgy areas and it'll be perfect
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Don't give up now dude. Just stick at it and it will be worth it when it looks a minter!

Its not as hard as you think to get a good finish. I did this (and I'm a mong). Not the best, but half sensible Smile

[Image: DSC_0590.jpg]

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
that a laguna type key card???
Thanks given by:
It was indeed.

Don't do it.... Trust me...

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(18-12-2013, 06:20 PM)Grant Wrote: It was indeed.

Don't do it.... Trust me...

RoflRofl
Thanks given by:
ive just found a 15" touch screen 12v monitor maybe a little big for the vents though

keep at the filling and sanding it will come to a good finish Wink
Thanks given by: