Oil change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil change
I've just been trying to change the oil on my 2.0 HDI. The oil filter will not budge at all.
Having just bought it I'm not sure when it was last done. Any tips to get the bugger off?
Thanks given by:
Screwdriver through the middle and twist
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Large Water pump grips
Thanks given by:
Chain whip
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Well I tried a strap and a claw but that didn't work. Just off to borrow a chain.

I don't fancy the screwdriver method incase I butcher it and it still won't come off

What's your preferred way to access it... Top or bottom? Smile
Thanks given by:
The grips are good, I like the metal strap type ones personally. I one used a broom handle to beat a flat on the filter then knocked it round. Also used a big pair of stilsons to do one. But the screwdriver thing has never worked for me.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Never had a problem with the cheap chain things!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
More leverage for me from above.

i use a metal filter strap tool...never failed me.

Flat/blunt chissel and hammer may help get it started
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Sorted it with a metal strap Smile

I put 4 litres in but it's over the max line on the dipstick and the oil level sensor on the rev counter shows full. I'm wondering now if there was some oil left in in it that didn't all drain out. It takes 4.25 litres right?

I'm gonna let it all settle now and check it in the morning. Just enjoying a well deserved beer now
Thanks given by:
Hands > waterpump pliers > chain if it's a stubborn one
Thanks given by:
Use the Halfords 3 prong claw, never fails. Had to use a breaker bar with it once!
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(16-12-2013, 07:31 PM)Whodafunk Wrote: Sorted it with a metal strap Smile

I put 4 litres in but it's over the max line on the dipstick and the oil level sensor on the rev counter shows full. I'm wondering now if there was some oil left in in it that didn't all drain out. It takes 4.25 litres right?

I'm gonna let it all settle now and check it in the morning. Just enjoying a well deserved beer now

You'll never get ALL of the old oil out, if it's any good it'll cling to everything internally - good for startup lubrication, but not good for draining it fully lol.

Hopefully it's not too far over the max mark? A bit over on these is fine though.
Thanks given by:
Pikey screwdriver method ftw.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
I've got proper oil filter pliers and they have never been an issue.

Is that 4l still showing over the max with the car having been started and run for 2 mins (to fill the filter) and the car on flat level ground?

The HDi takes 4.51 L to fill it according to the book so that would indicate alot of old oil left in there.
Thanks given by:
Don't know if you did this, but take the car for a spin before doing the oil (leave it for a bit to cool first, obviously). Oil's thinner when warm/hot and sludgy when cold.
Thanks given by:
I let the car run for 5 mins stationary before doing the oil. I should have taken it for a spin really and this might explain why some of the old oil was left in.

This morning it read just over max on the dipstick. I've driven it 15 miles since so will take another reading and see how it lies.

I'm planning to put some engine flush in and then drain it all out on Friday and start afresh.

I'm not sure what grade was in it before but I want 5w40 in it.
Thanks given by:
Best time to do it is after a good drive. I got in the habit of dropping it after my 60 mile commute as it was lovely and thin. I'd advise against the flush as you'd know already if you needed it.

I did it this morning though whilst i'm off work, so just did a 10 mile lap of the block to get a bit of temp in it and left it for 40 mins to drip whilst I did the ball joint.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
rubber gloves ftw . . . never failed yet . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(17-12-2013, 12:34 PM)Whodafunk Wrote: I let the car run for 5 mins stationary before doing the oil. I should have taken it for a spin really and this might explain why some of the old oil was left in.

This morning it read just over max on the dipstick. I've driven it 15 miles since so will take another reading and see how it lies.

I'm planning to put some engine flush in and then drain it all out on Friday and start afresh.

I'm not sure what grade was in it before but I want 5w40 in it.

10w40 is one of the oil's recommended for HDi's, according to the 406 manual. (I don't use anything else.)

Don't bother with the engine flush when you change it, as your recent oil will have been enough to clean anything out. Just make sure that the car is on an even surface, and stick the kettle on and have a brew while it drains out.
Thanks given by:
Get it roasting take the sump plug out and go have a cup tea while it drains, no rush!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Take off the filler cap first to help it drain faster, removing the filter during draining will help too.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah as said, take it for a really good drive to make sure the oil is properly hot then get it up in the air and draining asap when you get home.
Have a cup of tea and do the fuel/air filters while you wait to give it a real good chance to drain. Make sure you use the right sump plug, some 306s have 3 of them and you need to use the lowest of them.
Thanks given by:
Don't do the screwdriver through...

Seen it so many times where there's an oil filter with the end gnawed off, but the base of the filter still firmly attached to the car, then you're really f*cked.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
What's the drain plug size on the hdi?
Thanks given by:
Should be 21mm
Thanks given by:
Surely not? It's the square plug size I'm after on the inside of the plug
Thanks given by:
Yes its 21mm. The square drive on some old plugs is 3/8" iirc.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Can someone clarify which is the drain plug on the hdi? The one at the rear has a square drive but hardly any oil came out and it's still showing full. What's the white plastic cap for underneath??
Thanks given by:
The drain plug is at the bottom of the sump...at the bottom of the engine...
How can there be anything underneath/below that?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
[Image: IMAG0179_zps595xyyii.jpg]

Not the best picture but is it the one at the back right that's in the dark?
Thanks given by: