2.2 Dimma Hdi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.2 Dimma Hdi
Sounds good

I would have a look into being able to use a full electronic actuator...like on the gtb turbos
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah I was wondering about that if I got a gtb, I wouldn't mind a gtb2260vklr but would be a bit of a pain to fit as it's water cooled
Thanks given by:
Tbh having it not hit full boost until 2800 rpm is probably all that's preserving your transmission at this stage lol. That's where i'm aiming to make full boost on my build, just mean the gearbox doesn't have to deal with a chronic thump of torque at two grand.

I've not heard of spiking problems like that with ecu control, perhaps its the map that doesn't allow a quick enugh reaction..?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(05-07-2014, 04:08 PM)Piggy Wrote: For a vnt though, it should still spool really well

You wont need more psi with the GTB!!! More efficient, so you will need less and have more air, cooler too as a result.

Although, still, that VNT should spool quicker Smile

Errrm, yeah cause I run my GTB at only 4si

You still need pressure, to increase air density and oxygen content yah?

(05-07-2014, 08:51 PM)Piggy Wrote: Sounds good

I would have a look into being able to use a full electronic actuator...like on the gtb turbos

How? Unless you plan to rip apart the ecu and solder some more circuit in there - its designed to control a solenoid, which its doing a grand job of.

and for what gain? With the right maps, vac solenoid is just fine, ask about a million VW owners if their vnts run ok.

electronic actuators are useful for manufactures as you can be a bit more precise about your vane position, no more stop screws + actuator position feedback for error state detection, not having to rely on a vac system ..etc

I ran my gt2256v at 30psi - and don't think it was the underlying cause of any turbo failures, more to do with boost hoses pushing the comp housing. If you've got an emp gauge you'll soon see when it starts getting unhappy.

Not much you can do about spike issues, like you've already tried its a compromise becasue boost is building load dependant, and presumably you've only got quite simple mapping that can't account for this. Exactly the reason my vnt looked laggy on the dyno, as it was setup to react for the load you get in 3rd gear upwards on the road.

full boost by 2.8k is not to be sniffed at, it'll be moving a large amount of air before then - can't remember what mine was boosting at, but was about the same.

plus you'll be running far less emp on spool which your turbo will thankyou for, and as already mentioned saving a stupid burst of torque coming in and killing everything.

you can setup a gt2256v to spool so fast, the head will surge before you build target boost - and choke up -sounds like you've been there, can't reach target boost in 1st or 2nd

I'm not a fan of winding the stop screw in for epic spool - you get a fat ton of emp at the same time - im more of a mass airflow boy, than an all out psi kid.

my gtb2260vk isn't in full chat until about 2.7k either - but by god does it move

yeah a gt20** will spool up very early - have you seen the size of their toy turbines, then it'll choke up just as you really start to get going.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough ...just assumed you did need high psi with these efficient turbos

And still surprised that such a efficient turbo is at full boost so late in the range compared to earlier turbos!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Piggy have you seen the size of a 2260? Get of your high horse about full boost... look at how much they flow rather than peak boost or psi.
Unless you have an extremely modified head, plus a very efficient downpipe and exhaust you will just be killing things. The head cant cope with nowhere the amount of air a 2260 can give it by 2-2.5k.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
depends as you could be talking

10lbs/min @ 30psi

or

100lbs/min @ 30psi

then obviously the temp of the charged air will affect density, but if you've got a decent fmic or charge cooler then you're good to go. Or just try and keep your turbo in its efficiency island.

Thats why a T2 at 40psi is no good, moves about 3lbs/min of red hot air, whilst generating chronic emp, and overspeeding the turbo making it go pop
Thanks given by:
Yeah, Im just surprised by needing such high peak boost thats all...I didnt think that you needed to run a 2260 to such high peak due to how much air it moves and how efficient it is.
Yeah Ive seen the 2260...nearly bought a couple but went for a gtb2056 in the end.

And tom, the only reason I mentioned a electronic control is the Jimmer said that couldnt get the current control system to change/adjust quick enough!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Just realised how victor meldrew I been and too negative...

I love this car and the fact its a 2.2...lots of kudos for keeping going...
Just thought, more for your sake, you would see peak boost sooner...but I do suppose it simply matters less when they are SO good across the rpm range
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(06-07-2014, 09:05 AM)Poodle Wrote: Tbh having it not hit full boost until 2800 rpm is probably all that's preserving your transmission at this stage lol. That's where i'm aiming to make full boost on my build, just mean the gearbox doesn't have to deal with a chronic thump of torque at two grand.

I've not heard of spiking problems like that with ecu control, perhaps its the map that doesn't allow a quick enugh reaction..?

I don't know weather the ml box is and stronger than the be box

It's not being controlled from the engine ecu, it's being controlled by its own controller, and not 100% sure what, but something doesn't react quick enough
Thanks given by:
I'm not sure myself, only one way to find out I guess. Big Grin Either way, gaining 200lbft between 2000 amd 2100rpm is never going to make a gearbox happy lol.

Ah I see, fair enough, i'm clueless then lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Here is a quick video I got today, 40 to 80 in 3rd gear

[Image: th_0BAF556E-2AC5-4445-9BEA-2C5D61040FD5-...eaca8e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That thing seems to shift pretty well Smile
Thanks given by:
Video won't play, shows as a picture
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Click on it!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I did and got this...

[Image: e8uzy8ag.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Wow that does shift Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
It's in photobucket, only viewable via safari. It does shift well Smile

Thanks given by:
Yeah she goes well, not tried it too hard from a standstill as boost spikes a lot

It grips well too, even accelerating under full boost whilst going round a corner it doesn't under steer or spin up the inside wheel.

Whilst sorting through some stuff earlier I found the mot which is due in a month so shall be getting it booked in soon.

Now it's more or less running correctly I need to start doing all the jobs to finish it off

The engine bay needs a good tidy up, probably going to get another loom and remove all the wiring that isn't needed anymore, the chargecooler needs a proper header tank and the water pipes tidying up, I need to replace the thermostat housing as it leaks and put a thermostat in.

The really annoying exhaust knock needs to be sorted, along with removing the mid box and getting a smaller back box.

Could do with making up some arch liners

The wheels still need a proper refurb and 3 of them need straightening

I need another gauge to fill the third hole inside, not to sure what to get yet, maybe egt?

So got plenty to keep myself busy with Smile
Thanks given by:
EGT or manifold pressure I would say Smile

I make that about 7seconds 40-80? Was that in 3rd or 4th?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(10-07-2014, 06:38 AM)Piggy Wrote: EGT or manifold pressure I would say Smile

I make that about 7seconds 40-80? Was that in 3rd or 4th?

Piggy you need to wake up in the mornings! He says above video "40-80 in 3rd gear"
Haha
Thanks given by:
Ah yeah...sorry...I do need to wake up...
Or more likely, just sleep more before I wake up!!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Had a good day at pugfest, the hill climb was great, wish I bought more runs now, although on my 2nd run it cut out.

This happened several times whilst mapping the boost, it was just above the red on fuel so put more fuel in and it seemed to be fine, until it cut out again on the hill, had nearly half a tank of fuel this time. The first few times it done it it took several attempts to get it started again, but on the hill it started back up 1st time, it only happens when on WOT

Was thinking possibly lift pump? Or fpr?
Thanks given by:
I saw you in passing first thing and then never found you again, gutted tbh, was itching for a nosey around this.

Sorry to hear it's cutting out, could be any number of things, got any codes? Fpr is a good place to start anyway.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Think I managed to catch it cutting out on video lol.. Car looks epic by the way

hazards go on just as the film ends

[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah when it stopped smoking will be when it cut out

I haven't had chance to plug it in yet so don't know if there are any codes
Thanks given by:
My hdi kept cutting out with warning messages of dpf etc, moved away from cheap derv and changed the fuel filter...stopped all the error messages etc

Maybe running it low brought up some shit up from the tank? Saw some runs of this on FB, love it !!!!

Thanks given by:
I have pretty much solved the performance and black smoke problems

It turned out that the timing was slightly out, I have now re done the timing and it goes alot better and there is now a lot less smoke!
Thanks given by:
Great news, new video required! lol
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I shall get one at some point Smile

Also it doesn't overboost any more either so may be able to modify the turbo map for less lag

Then look at getting the car onto a dyno Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 Dimma Coupé Pbalerado 9 3,919 07-12-2016, 12:06 PM
Last Post: johnnygomez
  Dimma 306 Cezeli 37 20,520 11-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Last Post: devils_fuel
  205 TT Dimma Daniel306 18 6,358 19-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Daniel306