1.9 dturbo stage 1 tune

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.9 dturbo stage 1 tune
I wanna get a bit more power out of my dturbo, I figured easiest way to do this is a stage 1 fuel pump and turbo tweak. I've got me boost gauge, but is says I'm running about 15 psi, I know standard should be around the 12-13 mark. As far as I'm aware no one else has fiddled with anything. The only mod I've done is a decat and de-back box' I don't know whether this would effect the boost at all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks given by:
Standard is about ~14psi, and if you've already done a decat, that should make a difference. What pump have you got?
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Aright, I'm running a Lucas pump, yet to check what turbo I'm running as well
Thanks given by:
I'd expect the boost to increase from removing all restrictions in the exhaust.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I thought thought standard psi was about 12, I didn't think that a decat and de-back box would make a 3psi difference.
But obviously it does
Thanks given by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4l5on3_IrA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=telXJxsd4gE
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:
Damn, you beat me to it adam, i was about to link to these videos! lol

These are the videos i used when i first tuned my DT, although i used a guide from TDOCUK (Clicky) to tune the pump itself. Epic guide, epic videos....if you get stuck now, give up! Wink
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2013, 12:24 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Damn, you beat me to it adam, i was about to link to these videos! lol

These are the videos i used when i first tuned my DT, although i used a guide from TDOCUK (Clicky) to tune the pump itself. Epic guide, epic videos....if you get stuck now, give up! Wink

doesn't get any simpler than this Tongue
Thanks given by:
Yeah I've seen Darren's videos, will have a crack at it soon. Hopefully I won't hit any snags
Cheers for all the help.
Thanks given by:
it can be a bit of a ballache on the lucas. and the max fuel screw is fecking tight.
Thanks given by:
If you can get yourself one of those little mirrors on a pole (if you know what i mean), that makes the job of lining the max fuel screw up a whole lot easier. Smile
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2013, 01:48 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: If you can get yourself one of those little mirrors on a pole (if you know what i mean), that makes the job of lining the max fuel screw up a whole lot easier. Smile

if you have a mrs or live with your mum or you are gay

you can use one of those pocket mirrors women use for makeup i found that easy enough.

lucas' are a lady garden though always end up spilling some derv no matter how hard you try.
Thanks given by:
i meant one like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/monument-tools...tAodADEAqA

and regarding spilling fuel, i found if i cut the top off a monster can, with a bit of gentle persuasion, you can get the can under the pump so it catches all the derv as it spills out. Wink
Thanks given by:
I know what you meant but look at the price of it go rob ya mums handbag Tongue

disclaimer: I hold no responsibility when they complain their mirror makes their bag smell like derv.
Thanks given by:
The only queries I have is, with the boost compensator, some people say turn clockwise, others say anti-clockwise. Am I right in saying that the boost compensator controls off boost fuelling? What is better?
Thanks given by:
Supposedly, but its a bit useless on the Lucas, i'll be honest and say i can't remember which way i turned it....just turn the max fuel up about 1/2 - 3/4 of a turn to start with, and adjust the "compensator" to suit. The go back and repeat until you are happy with the tune. I found i needed to open the pump up a few times before being happy with it, and have become somewhat of an expert at getting the fuel out without spilling any, and lining the max fuel up! lmao

Seriously looking forward to sacking the Lucas off and getting a Bosch on mine. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I found adjusting my compensator used to have erratic effects on the fuel delivery, it just never seemed right. I'd leave it standard personally and just adjust the max fuel until you can afford a bosch.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Yeah, i found on one occasion after adjusting the compensator that it smoked like f*ck under load, and developed a bit of diesel knock, but when i turned the compensator back down a bit it got better.
Thanks given by:
Okay, I was thinking about getting a Bosch, but I only really bought my dturbo for a bit of fun like, and to do a tune doesn't exactly cost anything, so thought might as well give it a go.
I'm guessing its just a case of fiddling with it until its right, sort of thing.
Thanks given by:
Pretty much mate, i suppose the amount of fiddling required depends on how far you wanna take the tune.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, sounds about right, will probs have a go at it on Sunday when I've got a whole day to do it, just incase anything goes wrong. Thanks for all the help
Thanks given by:
I had the Lucas pump and K14 turbo running at 23psi and it was great fun to drive. Had to progressively apply the throttle when pulling away so it didn't belch out black smoke but you get used to it really quickly. Was worth it for the extra fuelling on boost and common sense really when you think about how it all works. It's not a computer controlled petrol engine.

I think in the end the max fuelling was turned about 180 degrees clockwise and the boost compensator was turned all the way in then turned back either a half or 3/4 of a turn. Turned in fully made it much cleaner off boost but more laggy and erratic with the fuelling. Easier just to control it with the throttle.

The only modification I had was a 2.25" turbo back exhaust.

Hope this is of some help although I think settings can vary from car to car.
Thanks given by:
Aright, so does the boost compensator not need to be fiddled with?
And also, when dealin with the turbo, how do you know how much to adjust the waste gate?
Thanks given by:
Again, you don't really, it's more trial and error. I'd be inclined to agree with Simon on the compensator though, wind it all the way in, then back it out about 1/2 or 3/4 turn. It's far easier to fine tune the compensator though.
Thanks given by:
Okay, would 20psi be an okay mark to aim for?
Thanks given by:
31-2 psi ;P What i'm running on a T2 and it hasn't blown up yet. been like it for 3-4 months. Gets used at full boost often!

I've never understood the whole stage 1/2 thing. I always think of Hiflowheads....
Thanks given by:
Really? Obviously 30 psi would be great, but didn't think it was good/possible without the likes of fmic and a decent clutch.
Thanks given by:
I was running 30 psi on a top mount in a 205 (albeit with the rad lowered at one point) and for the record i'm running a standard 1.9 MI clutch
hasn't slipped yet
Thanks given by:
Oh hell, I think I'll get mine to 20 psi, then see if she can handle a bit more, but at the mo, my clutch isn't really the best, so don't wanna go to mental.
Thanks given by:
I'm running about 20psi at the moment, I'd like to turn it up a bit more, but I can't be arsed to open the pump up again right now. lol

Up to about 24-25psi should be plenty safe, but obviously any increase in power will shorten the life of the engine components, so again, it all depends how far you want to take it. Any idea of a rough power figure you're aiming for?

I should say, there are a fair few running 30+psi, but most of them are on a bosch....I don't know how hard people have pushed a lucas.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stage 1/stage 2 whats the difference? general tuning questions midge 5 2,726 19-07-2015, 05:55 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  Smokey pug & "clean tune" power? nick000 13 3,487 17-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Last Post: nick000
  lucas pump tune willJspears 10 2,482 21-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Last Post: willJspears