lucas pump tune

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lucas pump tune
Right, so i finally got round to tuning my pump, turned max fuel clockwise about 180 degress and have wound my boost compensator all the way in, then out about 2 turns. im now running about 19psi (still want to go a bit more on the max fuel). what else can i expect if i tweak the wastegate on my turbo? or would this not make a whole lot of difference? cheers in advance.
Thanks given by:
How much black smoke do you have when driving? If you have a fair bit then tweaking the wastegate could make a good difference. You could probably turn the compensator in another turn to help control of boost smoke without losing too much driveability.

Just try it and see, I don't think there's a specific setting that works best for all cars.
Thanks given by:
i dont think alot of smoke is being produced when driving, only a black mist really, but where ive got the boost compensator set is quite a nice set up, between off boost and on is really smooth. gonna give the max fuel another tweak tomorrow just to get it up to 20psi, then see how it is
Thanks given by:
Boost might not increase now with more fuel.
Probably come up against the wastegate.crank it up to 24 26 she.be a beaut
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
how much you reckon i should adjust the wastegate by
Thanks given by:
Till u see 24 psi?
Depends what turbo u have
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
aright, will have a look tomorrow. will probs run her at 20psi for a bit, then might think about taking it up a little bit
Thanks given by:
If you don't want to have to repeat turbo adjustment process you could probably adjust it further than you need and just control it with the fuelling.

My car felt best at around 24 psi with the Lucas but could be pretty black if throttle wasn't applied progressively. If you adjust the wastegate now you'll probably find that the current fuelling will already give you 23+ psi. The black mist I think means that there's more fuel than needed so more air is required. Mine was always completely clean on boost but could really coal off boost hence winding the compensator in a bit. It's all just trial and error. The good thing is that unlike petrol engines playing with the fuelling and boost on these is unlikely to go far enough wrong to cause any real problems. No electronic sensors to complicate the situation!
Thanks given by:
yeah, mine only really coals slightly off boost, but as you said, its easy enough to control with the throttle, will probs just give the waste gate a little turn and see how i get on.
Thanks given by:
Crank everything all the way,

Lol, just adjust the gate until its around 25psi and crank the fuel up until it starts smoking on boost and crack it back a tad, and advance the pump slightly.

But really, geta bosch fitted Wink
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
yeah, ive got a bosch lined up, getting it off ollie baileys phase 1. said i could have it for £40, gonna get it off on saturday
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lucas pump cap carlukepeugeot 7 3,769 19-11-2020, 12:14 PM
Last Post: johnny625
  Lucas pump timing probe issues weka 0 1,298 21-03-2019, 08:39 PM
Last Post: weka
  Need help d turbo lucas pump. Djbeny4477 1 1,485 21-10-2018, 05:15 PM
Last Post: johnny625