Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Action day 14/9/13. Pics and vids
That thing was amazing, love what's written on the back of it lol

[Image: 9778831206_e427c581e3.jpg]
DSC_0800 by Curtis Footman, on Flickr

"Practice makes perfect!"

"Not!"

Bloke was a hero too, kept on drifting after his tyre had gone bang and there was nothing left.
Thanks given by:
Couple videos, nothing special as they were taken on my phone.

Down at Quarry on the first 306oc outing of everyone together.

Captured: Scott, Ed, Jimmy, Steve, Jonny(numbers), Carl and Alex (Poodle)

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Thanks given by:
Nice one, thanks to everyone who took photos/vids Big Grin
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
My track time on the go pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSMACM3r0...ture=share

Smile
Thanks given by:
(19-09-2013, 05:53 PM)kieranyeh Wrote: My track time on the go pro

Smile

Awesome mate, once you get in to the groove that polo flys !! What engine is in it??
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
polo gti...so I expect the gti 1.6 16v! lol

not sure about the shuffling though keiran...cant see the need!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(19-09-2013, 08:36 PM)Piggy Wrote: polo gti...so I expect the gti 1.6 16v! lol

not sure about the shuffling though keiran...cant see the need!?

shuffling? Do you mean my hands? because the rear is very loose on my car, obviously you can't see from the footage, I wouldn't be doing it unnecessarily

You get a better idea in the wet, I kind of have to feather the throttle to understeer, lift off to get the nose is then counter, obviously counter it all with the wheel.

Have a look at my thread and you'll see my Silverstone time, it's nuts, I get sideways through Cops corner at 70 odd mph!

It is a 1.6 16v Smile
Thanks given by:
do you left foot brake?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2013, 06:20 AM)Piggy Wrote: do you left foot brake?

Nah mate, I rev matched on the heavy braking zones whenever I remembered to, save the gearbox and that. As I said this is my first time around a track properly..

I'm not going to be dicking about with silly pedantic things like that when just on an open 15 minute track session in my dailey Aha Smile

If you could drive mine you'd see, Mine has a lot of lift off oversteer but It's useful to get the noise pointing the right way say at 2:45 when that prick overtook me as I was turning in to the corner, had I not been lifting off I would have underteered straight off. Or at 13:00 where I had to tuck in the inside of the pink car, just lifted off the throttle losing momentum but pointed the car in the right direction. I suppose it's got a good turn in response. It's a good balance and works nicely with my driving style, I'd rather it turn in more responsive rather than have more grip mid corner.

I take it that's what you meant by shuffling then? but also, remember I'm on coilovers, and wound down low. It's quite bumpy at Combe so a lot of the time It's just feedback.

(19-09-2013, 08:10 PM)devils_fuel Wrote:
(19-09-2013, 05:53 PM)kieranyeh Wrote: My track time on the go pro

Smile

Awesome mate, once you get in to the groove that polo flys !! What engine is in it??

Yeah bud It's not bad at all. Underrated because all the scene guys put too wide a wheel with too narrow a tyre on it to have any fun.
Thanks given by:
shuffling...as in your hands on the wheel!!

but I understand what ya saying...the 306s are obviously ace with lift off oversteer...but I find left brake is one of the best ways to control that with a fwd...no matter how its set up. Gets the nose right in there and with brake/throttle control with left and right feet you can have the back end just where you want.

But fair play, is a good season considering its your true first...coz you said of your experience with karting before I assumed you had a lot of track time under ya belt too! soz!

(left foot brake with matched throttle blips also allows for clutchless gear changes into the braking/turn in...brave stuff tho)
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Didn't take a single pic of mine, anyone got any? Saw steve had some of my broken bumper but that doesn't really help! Tongue
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
no pics...but we heard it!!!

anyone else clock the 'stig' in the mega atom....

more like the stigs dead grandma. he couldnt drive it to save his life
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2013, 12:43 PM)Piggy Wrote: no pics...but we heard it!!!

anyone else clock the 'stig' in the mega atom....

more like the stigs dead grandma. he couldnt drive it to save his life

I think most people heard it, it sounded like a meaty Straight Diesel!

Yes, that "Stig" was dissapointing to say the least...
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2013, 12:15 PM)Piggy Wrote: shuffling...as in your hands on the wheel!!

but I understand what ya saying...the 306s are obviously ace with lift off oversteer...but I find left brake is one of the best ways to control that with a fwd...no matter how its set up. Gets the nose right in there and with brake/throttle control with left and right feet you can have the back end just where you want.

But fair play, is a good season considering its your true first...coz you said of your experience with karting before I assumed you had a lot of track time under ya belt too! soz!

(left foot brake with matched throttle blips also allows for clutchless gear changes into the braking/turn in...brave stuff tho)

Sorry, but why left foot brake when you can heel & toe with an identical effect (ie trail braking into the corner to get the nose in whilst rev-matching downshifts)?
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2013, 01:19 PM)Ed Doe Wrote:

Sorry, but why left foot brake when you can heel & toe with an identical effect (ie trail braking into the corner to get the nose in whilst rev-matching downshifts)?

Faster transition between getting off the brakes and onto the throttle... More control over the brakes and throttle at all times.

Though you can tell that Polo just wants a set of cams and a raised rev limiter with that gearbox - it seems like a revvy motor but being strangled by the cams!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Left foot braking is different to heel toe, heel toe is for smooth downshifting. It's to make the car steady when braking, whereas left foot braking digs the nose in, not anything to do with gearing (to my not very extensive knowledge)

So long as you get through the corner with the car pointing the right way on the exit, you've had a good day !

I only heel toe to save my gearbox, because rev matching means when you jam it in to gear on a downshift everything is going the same speed so you don't hack apart the teeth in the box Smile

(20-09-2013, 01:43 PM)Ruan Wrote:

Faster transition between getting off the brakes and onto the throttle... More control over the brakes and throttle at all times.

Though you can tell that Polo just wants a set of cams and a raised rev limiter with that gearbox - it seems like a revvy motor but being strangled by the cams!

Its a VVT engine, it's pretty spot on at 4k revs, pulls for days.

To be honest I upshifted early a lot of the time to preserve the car.. Just don't really want to rag the shit out of it.

I spose when I overtook the MX5 is the time I really pushed, bwaaaaaarrrppp !

It definately needs more grunt, a set of iTBs wouldn't go a miss Tongue

That's the idea of left foot braking I beleive
Thanks given by:
Bah, needs more limiter action!!!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
I reeeally wouldn't recommend more power with the standard gearbox, they can barely handle the power they left the factory with! Basically their only weak spot though
Thanks given by:
left foot braking through the corner helps stabilise too. so if you are already there...quicker transition
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2013, 02:32 PM)Curt Wrote: I reeeally wouldn't recommend more power with the standard gearbox, they can barely handle the power they left the factory with! Basically their only weak spot though

100% agree. The box itself is good, it's the pinyon bearing and something to do with the differential that commonly goes, hence my protective nature when driving it, slow smooth gearchanges.

If I was to get serious I'd start with a shitter car, like a 306 or a 106.. Then just reap the benifits of all the chavs that owned them, buy the second hand roll cages and exhaust systems.

At the end of the day this is my dailey, my 40mpg little run about, that looks good and drives nicely.

So naturally I've put it up for sale because nothing matters more than racecar xxx

I see.. Just my driving style.

my car is just a road car, not a race car, the steering lock is terrible in the Polo too so I'd be crossing my arms over in some of the tighter turns (i.e the second part of the second cicane)

I mean.. I get the job done, so I'm not going to hold at quarter to 3 to seem professional

(20-09-2013, 02:56 PM)Piggy Wrote: left foot braking through the corner helps stabilise too. so if you are already there...quicker transition

How does braking mid corner stabilise the car? I wouldn't say brake in a corner at all!
Thanks given by:
Braking mid corner can help tighten up the line, but we are talking advanced driving etc. Can help re-balance the car as opposed to stabilise i guess.
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2013, 04:40 PM)Atterz Wrote: Braking mid corner can help tighten up the line, but we are talking advanced driving etc. Can help re-balance the car as opposed to stabilise i guess.

If you're braking in a corner you've entered it too quick ahaha... You'll ruin the exit if you brake in any of the corners at combe.
Thanks given by:
O i agree, but with a car like the 306 it can help to tighten a line if you have gone in a bit too hot. Just have to obviously be careful not to lose the rear end as it rotates. Your correct though, Combe has such fast corners that you dont really want to be braking mid corner.
Although on the second hair pin a quick dab may help with tightening the nose into the second apex, but im not sure, i havent drove it.
Thanks given by:
I think someone asked for a pic of the atom?

[Image: lVjPCEfl.jpg]

(20-09-2013, 04:51 PM)Atterz Wrote: O i agree, but with a car like the 306 it can help to tighten a line if you have gone in a bit too hot. Just have to obviously be careful not to lose the rear end as it rotates. Your correct though, Combe has such fast corners that you dont really want to be braking mid corner.
Although on the second hair pin a quick dab may help with tightening the nose into the second apex, but im not sure, i havent drove it.

Ah now you see that's specific, a late apex you could argue braking mid corner is desirable

in general braking in a corner is not advisable, and if you are doing it you should probably slow down !

This guy broke mid corner, locked up and look how he ended up:

[Image: 0OABovzl.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Haha Smile Fair one!
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2013, 04:52 PM)kieranyeh Wrote:
(20-09-2013, 04:51 PM)Atterz Wrote: O i agree, but with a car like the 306 it can help to tighten a line if you have gone in a bit too hot. Just have to obviously be careful not to lose the rear end as it rotates. Your correct though, Combe has such fast corners that you dont really want to be braking mid corner.

Ah now you see that's specific, a late apex you could argue braking mid corner is desirable

in general braking in a corner is not advisable, and if you are doing it you should probably slow down !

Aye yeah, the only corner I can think of at Combe you MIGHT want to give a dab is if you've gone a little too hot is Quarry corner, but unless you've a LOT of experience, I wouldn't be entering Quarry at a speed where I'd be wanting a quick dab of brake mid corner, because you'll usually end up looking something like this chap:

[Image: 5352020388_6913ba0883_b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Anyone seen Rallyday on tomorrow? http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/even...ventID=508

I'm considering it...
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2013, 05:52 PM)Curt Wrote: Anyone seen Rallyday on tomorrow? http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/even...ventID=508

I'm considering it...

That looks awesome curt, shame it's my birthday and I'll be drunk in the gutter somewhere lol
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
rallyday is MEGA busy. been there few years running. too busy for me.

left foot braking even during a corner is useful, esp if you have a LSD. but even without, you be amazed the control it gives.
good point about combe though...not many places warrant it
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
LOL @ that Ru, brilliant!
Thanks given by: