Fuel Filter Change HDi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Filter Change HDi
Hi All,

Gonna try changing the fuel filter on my HDi and wondered if anyone had any tips? The Haynes manual is very sketchy.

How do you get the plastic fuel pipes off the housing? Is there any special way to do the job?

Thanks in advance - any advice greatly appreciated.
David
Thanks given by:
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-35.html

That's a guide mate, in future if you just look the guides section there is a lot of good info
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Getting the top back on was the hardest part for me, I really had to apply a lot of downwards force whilst turning for it to get back home. A lot of pressure! Go hard on it!
Thanks given by:
Hi,

Thanks for this. However, I've successfully changed the filter and now the car won't fire up. Primed it a ton of times and nothing!
Thanks given by:
Shouldn't take much priming really, is it still turning over quickly or has the battery drained from trying to start??
Thanks given by:
No battery is fine and it's turning over great

Also put the old filter back in. Nothing.

Checked the new o ring is on and all the pipes are secure and all looks ok.

The housing is now full of fuel again. Should I drain it?
Thanks given by:
No, its supposed to be full of fuel....

If you drained it first time, that's why it took a lot of priming.

Just to check you are priming properly - ignition on wait for fuel pump noise to stop, ignition off, repeat 2 or 3 times then try and start?
Thanks given by:
Yeah it's primed properly and the filter housing is full. I've done a load of troubleshooting too.

Took the top hoses off the housing. Fuel is coming out of the the thicker pipe as it should. As said previously I have tried the old filter. No joy.

Took off the bottom hose on the right hand side, fuel escaped so no blockage in the bottom of the housing.

Any ideas?

I've also tried the bleeding procedure as per the Haynes manual.
Thanks given by:
Did you clean out the filter housing when you changed it? any gold filings? if you didn't it could have allowed dirt past the filter and causing the problem?

can you hear the low pressure pump with the ignition on?
Thanks given by:
Actually I didn't clean the housing and did find one gold filing in there after I had tried starting it.

Yeah the low pressure pump is working.
Thanks given by:
Did you remember to replace the seal around the lid? If not, it could be letting air in. And is the housing full of fuel again, or is it partly empty?
Thanks given by:
As I've said mate the housing is full and the fuel is coming out of the filter housing ok.

Yeah I replaced the o ring
Thanks given by:
Well if dirt has got past it could be a dirty fpr which you could whip off and clean
Thanks given by:
Hi, how do I remove this?
Thanks given by:
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-1497.html

See poodles post on hdi fuelling problems etc, very informative he knows his shit
Thanks given by:
Its on the right hand side of the high pressure pump, secured by a torx bolt I think.

Im too slow lol.
Thanks given by:
Gonna leave it to a mechanic. It's crazily inaccessible.
Thanks given by:
Inaccessible by what? A few pipes and wires lol?
Thanks given by:
Can't get the torx bolts off. The back one is obscured by a ton of stuff.
Thanks given by:
Oh ok, haven't owned a HDi for 6 months so cant remember 100% now lol.
Thanks given by:
To get to the fuel pressure regulator looks hard but it's not that bad.
First take out the fuel filter housing should just unclip and pull up.
You can remove the bracket that held on the filter house, only 3 bolts cant remember the name of the head though
After the bracket is gone it should be nice and easy to get too just be easy with the torx heads because they are made of cheese and will round off
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
They're allen-head bolts, 6mm iirc.

With the torx bolts, make sure you keep the tool dead in line with the bolt as you apply force, i use my other hand around the head of the ratchet to steady it.

Edit: Cheers rd070707 lol. Smile
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I'm starting to suspect there is a massive air lock in the fuel lines. Anyone know how I can bleed it properly?
Thanks given by:
Prime it on the ignition with the lp pump - it's a self-priming system.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
It's not that it requires priming.

Since the filter change diesel is not getting to the injectors.
Thanks given by:
Edit - Ignore me, I was confusing different engines!

Try starting it on easystart or brake cleaner or something down the intake, then when it starts, if it sounds like its gonna die, put ya foot down to keep it running lol, if its just air in the system, it'll soon work it's way through and keep running. If theres an actual fault stopping the fuel, it'll die as soon as the easystart is burnt.
Thanks given by:
Still sounds like an fpr issue tbh.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Tried starting it on easy start and it died after a few seconds.

I've managed to get hold of a torx key with a handle so I can get more lateral pressure on the bolts. Should be able to get the FPR off.
Thanks given by:
Might sound silly but try using the old o ring seal for the filter some new ones are crap
Thanks given by:
(30-07-2013, 04:41 PM)Strikeforce Wrote: Might sound silly but try using the old o ring seal for the filter some new ones are crap

tis true, i did this . ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ . . .it also took about 2 days to bleed as well, proper bastard . . .Sad
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel Filter pug306driver 8 2,726 25-01-2019, 09:50 AM
Last Post: pug306driver
  fuel filter housing changed jason68 6 2,435 08-01-2018, 02:14 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
  fuel filter body removal pug306driver 9 2,427 07-06-2016, 06:48 AM
Last Post: Paul_13