Callums project(s)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Callums project(s)
If it feels slower than an s1 hdi your driving it wrong Tongue gti bwaap ftw

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(24-06-2013, 05:49 AM)puglove Wrote: If it feels slower than an s1 hdi your driving it wrong Tongue gti bwaap ftw

My hdi is stage 2....

And that sound is epicccc.

Plans for the HDi, probably sell her :/
Thanks given by:
Finally insured the '6 this morning, everyone should own a GTi at least once in their life.

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!! BWWAAAAAAARPP
Thanks given by:
I'm way too embarrassed to update this with what's going on now.

Basically, the 6 is off the road for a few months whilst I fix it. I also have another project, that's my daily and super cheap motoring, BUT it's a shed and it feel incredibly embarrassed to be driving it.

FML!!
Thanks given by:
whats broken on the 6?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Need to change discs, pads for mintex, d/s/f cv joint, clutch cable/clutch or both, centre section of exhaust, full service and I think the engine is tapping slightly. Now that could just be me being super paranoid as usual, but I need to look at that properly, or get someone else's opinion that has a 6, and hopefully they could put my mind at rest.

And currently I can't do that whilst putting £45 of fuel in every two days.

And, the shed in rocking about now is so bad. So under powered compared to the 6. This is a little project that will end up as a rocket when I'm finished with it. Currently so embarrassed to drive it though :/
Thanks given by:
sure the "tapping" isn't just the injectors?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
I have no idea mate, I need to get someone that knows more about 6's than me to have a look at it. Eventually I plan on following in the epic steps of 306GT30's build.

But that'll be a while away...
Thanks given by:
I was worried about it sounding tappy when I first got it, as like you I didn't know to much about petrols.
Had Liam have a listen when he was down he said it sounded perfect not tapping at all.
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
I suppose, I'm just paranoid and pretty anal about those sorta things. Ah well, it's just sat there until I can fix those other things. Having an under powered shed as a daily really makes me remember why I love the gti so much. Still such an epic car.
Thanks given by:
I'm going to look at another one tonight ...
Thanks given by:
Haha, you missing having a 6 then?
Thanks given by:
one come up cheap with no mot/tax so maybe fix it and sell it on, maybe drive it for a week or 2 for fun Smile
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2013, 07:44 PM)callumcull Wrote: I have no idea mate, I need to get someone that knows more about 6's than me to have a look at it. Eventually I plan on following in the epic steps of 306GT30's build.

But that'll be a while away...

THats the only way to go mate Wink
[Image: DSC_5848Custom_zps75885397.jpg]
Thanks given by:
But of an update:

Bought Midnightclubs Sportex system off him the other day, I got too excited and put it on that same night along with a fail DIY exhaust clamp.

Then put my old one back on as I want a centre silencer for it

And this is the latest photo of the 6. It was taken near Combe Martin, pretty happy with the results actually.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
epic clamp fail!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Hell that clamps worse than I thought! Eurocarparts quality that is!
Looking awesome though apart from the exhaust Smile
Thanks given by:
Lmao! Fail clamp..
Thanks given by:

As many of you may know, my gti is broken. I've spent a month being miserable about it and just generally hating on it.

Until I started watching Cully's Spare gti engine thread, and figured I've got nothing to loose so! I watched loads of videos online about head refurb, valve reseating etc and gained loads of motivation. I also wanted to find out exactly what caused this issue in the first place.

Started taking bits off, inlet manifold, cam cover, rocker covers, belts etc. Went to crank the engine so I could put the locking pegs in the cam pulleys, and the inlet cam pulley showed where it had cracked, quite badly!

Can't believe the pulley itself snapped...

Then I couldn't get the exhaust manifold bolts off, the ones before the cat. They just kept spinning freely, and couldn't get the bottom aux belt pulley off. It's looking like I'll have to come back to this next year when I've got more time/money/motivation Undecided
Thanks given by:
That is weird :/
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
holy snapping pulley batman!! never seen that before, looks like you've hit it REALLY hrd with a big hammer... 0.0
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
Well I've not see that before......
Thanks given by:
Dayum man, did that properly didn't you!
Thanks given by:
Holy shit balls. I can honestly say I have never seen that before. What RPM were you at when that happened?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(16-10-2013, 10:46 AM)Grant Wrote: Holy shit balls. I can honestly say I have never seen that before. What RPM were you at when that happened?

Yeah, pretty bad luck eh? And it was at idle. I started it up one morning, sat rolling a fag and this happened.

I WANT MY 6 BACK SO BAD! :'(
Thanks given by:
Blimey, never seen that before. O.o

If the downpipe studs are the same as the xud ones they'll need a 10mm spanner on top to stop them spinning.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(16-10-2013, 01:11 PM)Poodle Wrote: Blimey, never seen that before. O.o

If the downpipe studs are the same as the xud ones they'll need a 10mm spanner on top to stop them spinning.

Ahhh ok, I thought I'd messed them up as the HDi didn't spin. You're a wee legend Wink
Thanks given by:
Bit of a fair update. I got the aux pulley off by using a prybar to lock the flywheel, and a big breaker bar. The exhaust studs came off, just needed. 13mm spanner on the other side of it closest to the head.

I've come to the conclusion my cambelt only slipped a few teeth as the valves aren't bent. The reason the inlet cam pulley snapped was the last time someone took the cam cover off, there was a bolt that hadn't been tightened up properly, and this got caught by the inlet cam pulley, shattered that and the bolt fell in amongst the belt. It's side of the cam cover that's bolted to the block.

Anyway, pulled the head off complete with the exhaust manifold, had a look at the valves and they're not bent Big Grin They haven't even come in contact with the pistons!

I need to buy a new head gasket, inlet manifold gasket, throttle body gasket, more fluids and a new cam pulley then bolt it back together, retime it and hope for the best.
Here's a few photos from today:

Brings me to my next question, does anyone have an inlet cam pulley that I can buy off them? It's the 3 bolt type.
Thanks given by:
You're properly lucky that those valves aren't bent
Thanks given by:
it may be worth looking for a set of later pulleys as they do look a lot stonger as they are not weakend by the 3 bolt
Thanks given by: