Loads Of Pedal Travel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loads Of Pedal Travel
Over the past week or so I've developed a problem, I'm getting loads of pedal travel in the brake pedal and when stationary I can push it all the way down. However, it hasn't lost any fluid and I still have brakes, just have to push the pedal a lot further for them.

Over the last month or so I've had a hissing sound from around the pedal after I've come off it and I think this may be the cause. If I press the pedal once, then again, as if to pump it, it gets harder like it should.

Any ideas on what is going on?
Thanks given by:
mines does this too, i put it down to air in the pipes, but i havnt actually done anything about it yet, so i dont know :/
ill be interested to hear what others think
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
brake servo or split brake servo to inlet manifold pipe causing a air leak would be my guess
Thanks given by:
That would make the pedal harder....

It'd check see if you've got a weep at a fitting or line, and try holding pressure on the pedal with the servo on and off to see if it creeps at all
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Aye as rip said, leave the engine off and pump the pedal and then check for any creep, will be either a leak or a tired flexi hose expanding
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Would creep mean that when the pedal is hard it gradually goes down under pressure?
Thanks given by:
Yeah, slowly goes down toward floor.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Nope, didn't do that, was still hard from when I was playing around with it earlier and didn't creep at all.
Thanks given by:
bigcheez2k3 Wrote:Nope, didn't do that, was still hard from when I was playing around with it earlier

lmao

Sorry, that is all
Thanks given by:
Curt Wrote:
bigcheez2k3 Wrote:Nope, didn't do that, was still hard from when I was playing around with it earlier

lmao

Sorry, that is all

What's that, your creating a new sig did you say Curt?? lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Had an attempt to bleed them today and the bleed nipple broke so they either need to be drilled out or new calipers :roll:
Thanks given by:
My xs had this and it was down to a corroded brake pipe in the engine bay. Never got it fixed though as it was one of the many reasons I got the car scrapped!
[Image: ocpic2.pg.jpg]
http://www.sanderson-brown.com
MrsMoonstone Wrote:Cats eyes get in the way of the racing line!
Moonstone HDi Phase 3- Scrapped Sad --- 1.6 Phase 2 - Scrapped Sad --- BMW 318is 1993 (Hyperventilates)
Thanks given by:
My 1.4 starting doing this and in the end the pedal went straight to the floor and i had no brakes coming off a round about and stopped in on the handbrake in a layby... New master cylinder was how the garage solved it... just check the levels each time you go for a drive!
Thanks given by:
Id be f*cked if it happened to me then, handbrake works once a year at its MOT.
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
^^ this lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
I rebuilt my rear calipers about 2 years ago handbrake has been sweet as nut ever since
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
One of those jobs ive been getting round to. Since i bought the car.. last February. Big Grin.
Thanks given by:
Well worth doing bud got sick of my car rolling off
Thanks given by:
My handbrake worked perfectly and then I did a hand brake turn and I was surprised at how good it was! and its never been as good since... doh! Like it still works for holding the car but it wont handbrake turn any more Sad
Thanks given by:
Probably binding slightly bud with stiff pistons you won't notice to much tbh but it puts too much heat in the pads and discs while driving that's why you can't do a maccy d's turn ha ha, mine used to hold the car just about, but now it's awesome
Thanks given by:
Ive got pretty used to sticking it in gear but do fully intend to refurb my callipers soon!
Thanks given by:
Could try greasing up the handbrake mechanism in the calipers, when we put mine on one was a bit shitted up and dry, greased it up while moving it. Might not make much of an improvement but made mine work a little easier.
Thanks given by:
Already tried that mate, needs a full strip down and refurb, fit my braided lines whilst im there and its future proofed for a while then!
Thanks given by:
Changed the rear calipers now and when I took the lines off no fluid came out so something was definitely wrong there.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Handbrake Lever Excessive Travel Distorted Vision 11 3,032 28-04-2015, 02:06 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  Pedal travel philpemberton94 4 1,211 30-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Last Post: Rippthrough