Tyres.....Talk to me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyres.....Talk to me
As title really..

Am looking at a new set of tyres, but this is something I honestly know nothing about...

I've been running Parada spec 2's for the last 2 years, they seem to get stick on this forum, but ill be honest, I've had no problems / really enjoyed them / stick like superglue imo...but given the abuse, there is obviously good reason.

The car is used for fun, not really "daily driven" and hardly ever used in the wet, or at least, certainly not hard, that said, it is a road car, not a track car, so you know...

What tyres should I be getting, will be in 40 profile for 17's, if that effects the decision?

All advice greatly used, as "I know nothing"

Smile x
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
if you want something sticky that you only use in the dry then i'd suggest looking at some road legal race tyres, like lotus' use... in a medium/hard compound just so they last longer.
Thanks given by:
Pirelli P Zero Nero.

Once you try better tyres you well know why parada's and T1r's get the stick they good.
Thanks given by:
TBH with how much/little your car gets driven id be looking at a set of R888s as theyll bring you more enjoyment when you do actually drive it. Its not like you could really go near the throttle in the wet anyway.
Thanks given by:
id reccommend marangoni zetalinea rubber, very good at holding torque down in the dry, pretty reasoinable in the wet too which is a rare thing from a sports tyre.

if you have the budget for it and will be using the car only in dry conditions then you want something like avon or Yokohama semi slicks, awesome grip once warm, only problem is the increased rate of wear due to softer compound.

i would avoid toyo altogether, they don't work atall successfully with high torque motors and are ridiculously overpriced for something that barely meets the criteria of the sports tyre label imo.
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Dont think theres really much need to go down the road of 888's / semi slicks etc, as its not really used on track, and you really dont need that level of grip on the road...so the extra cost is just pointless id say....
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(18-05-2013, 11:41 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: id reccommend marangoni zetalinea rubber, very good at holding torque down in the dry, pretty reasoinable in the wet too which is a rare thing from a sports tyre.

if you have the budget for it and will be using the car only in dry conditions then you want something like avon or Yokohama semi slicks, awesome grip once warm, only problem is the increased rate of wear due to softer compound.

i would avoid toyo altogether, they don't work atall successfully with high torque motors and are ridiculously overpriced for something that barely meets the criteria of the sports tyre label imo.

I agree with zakk marragonis are the tittys for what they are oval good grip in any condition Smile im getting another set once the falkens have worn down Smile
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'd say stick with the paradas. I think their grip for price is great. I think the main reason they get some stick is due to soft sidewalls, but you shouldnt really notice that as much with 40 profiles.
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'd say you're good with the spec 2s they were awesome on mine...

I have eagle f1s on the golf which I rate too but it's very much an all rounder..
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Got dunlop sp sport's on mine, seem a pretty good all rounder, noticed they had reall hard sidewalls when fitting, seem really hard wearing too
Blaze '6 and Blaze D-turbo!
Thanks given by:
Well the MARANGONI are same kinda price as the p zeros, and paradas about 100 quid cheaper... So are they worth the extra, given like I said i thought the paradas were good tyres...

@Ruan read this, why cant you tag people on forums lol! (fooby??) Wink
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
I keep saying it, but I love my RS2's
Thanks given by:
AD08's if you liked the Paradas.

Not cheap though Big Grin
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
I personally quite like Parada Spec 2's. I am on my second set, yes i agree the sidewall is a bit soft but i quite like it as it gives me more feedback on the edge. Dry grip is pretty awesome and wet grip is ok if you drive to the conditions.

I use 195/50/15's and run 35-38 psi up front and 32-34 psi at the back.

As you use it as a fun car i would only be looking to upgrade to semi slicks, no other normal wet and dry tyre imo.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Although i cant comment on how they act on a 306, i had Michelin pilot sport 2s on my old car and i genuinely couldnt fault them. Gripped like glue in the dry and wet, quiet and lasted really really well. They have been replaced now with the PS3 and all the guys over on the 6 forum really do rave at how good they are.....mind you they also rave at how good the links supercharging kit is....
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Another plus 1 for pilot sport 2's.. but no idea how much better/worse the ps3's are
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(20-05-2013, 03:44 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Another plus 1 for pilot sport 2's.. but no idea how much better/worse the ps3's are

Supposedly very good. Thats what i will be getting next!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Agreed niall, had 2 sets of ps2's now on the '6 and HDi and both are epic no matter what conditions. Any idea if the pricing is similar to the PS2?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Still just as expensive but end of the day, you only get what you pay for. Personally i try to spend as much as possible on tyres as they are possibly the biggest safety factor in a car.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Another tyre I thought was epic was Avon ZZ3's... Had them on the Audi and they were brilliant. Don't know if they still do them though

Just checked and they're £60 a corner, bargain IMO
Thanks given by:
Surprised no ones said it yet: Get some part worns on her! Tongue
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Right, I think really main tyres in budget are the paradas, marogonis, p zerps or rainsport twos, the paradas obviously being alot cheaper...

Will I see any real benifit of any of the other 3 to justify the extra? If so which do we think? if not, im tempted to just get another set of paradas, because I know them / personally got on with them...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
If you get p zero's you won't go back to budget paradas and t1r.
Thanks given by:
(20-05-2013, 05:21 PM)Pompey306mark Wrote: If you get p zero's you won't go back to budget paradas and t1r.

What about paradas do you find bad? have you ever ran them on 40 profile? Im intreaged to know whats so bad about them, because ive pushed my car seriously hard on those tyres and not had to much of an issue, the wheel arch fire occured on paradas, just ruining brakes. Ask atterz about those issues lol!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Wet grip is the main issue with PS2's... Not such a big deal for you by the sund of things. Those Avon's I said about are a good £12 cheaper than the Yoko's, if it were my money it'd be gong on them or RS2's
Thanks given by:
I have had parada, t1rs on all the cyclones. But when I went up to my 16's I got a nice cheap set of p zeros on the 6 forum.

They grip better in all condition's, brake better (again a grip issue), hold the road much better in the wet.

I have put mine through all sorts, rain, dry, snow and they out proform the cheaper stuff always.

If I had the choice it would be these, out of the rainsports and all the other ones in your budget.

I am sure the PS2 are good but what's the price difference?
Thanks given by:
So you have never had 40 profile paradas.....it just seems weird how much people abuse them / yet I thought they seemed good, but obviously mine were 205/40 's so does change the way a tyre responds I guess...the P zeros are in the same price area as the others i said about, so if there the way to go then its possible, the paradas would be about 100 quid cheaper in total...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Yes having a different profile tyre will make a difference and I have not had my zero's on a 40 profile only 45.

But the actual tyre is much better than the cheaper ones.

Years ago I would of said parada's, but I have had the P Nero's now and they are much better.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, Sounds like its worth the extra then....
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
This is the problem with wheels are tyres.

Kris has my borbets on his car at the moment, we both run P Nero's all the same size mine are slightly newer yet on the drive home he said the car felt much much better.

Even though everyone on here tends to love rainsports, Maria hated them on her rallye, she even prefered her T1r's.

Since I have got kris over onto P zero's he has not looked back.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tool Box Talk cully 22 5,476 26-07-2016, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Frosty
  Colleagues stolen laptop, IP trace (talk talk isp) stevieg 11 2,632 05-12-2015, 12:22 AM
Last Post: stevieg
  Raspberry pi. Talk to me. ginge191 7 1,943 20-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Eeyore