Raspberry pi. Talk to me.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raspberry pi. Talk to me.
So few of you know my job as primary teacher, upper ks2, and I'm lookig at investing in these "micro PC's" for the school.

My knowledge when it comes to ICT is fairly basic, hardware knowledge is better than software but more than open to reading and learning more!

Anyone, with any experience with these, can give me a run down if first the simplicity of these, secondly the potential of these and thirdly anything else I might want to look into to accompany these.

Many thanks!
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
I was chatting to one of the software engineers at work about this the other week. As a non techie I was totally lost, but he had been to a "jam" in either Poole or Bournemouth and was full of ideas of what to do with them. By the sound of it you can do pretty much anything if you've got the skills.
Thanks given by:
I would look into programming PIC chips first. specifically the 16F88 or the Texas Instruments LaunchPad kits.
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the info.

Sam, have you links to these at all? The idea is that my students will have basic programming skills, nothing major. They're only aged 9-11 Smile
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
As I recall from school there's a flow chart program that gives you an insight into basic program writing. We had to design a program to water plants every so few hours if the inputs from the moisture content readers in the soil read too low a value along with controlling the temperature etc.
So it would go something like "is input 1 value < 10, yes - activate output 1 , no - start at beginning"

Was basic but it helped me get an understanding of how basic coding works and got me to do A level programming in college. And then helped even more in university with writing code in matlab as you can follow the program easier than those who come across it for the first time
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
piece of cake to program and use - potential is huge too - got one running as an internet streamer / media player hooked up to a tv

more suited to media / internet projects because of inbuilt in hdmi / ethernet.
Thanks given by:
Get one in and install it to run as a DNS server for you.
That way you can have it block all addresses from ad servers.

It means not only will it block ads on your pc like the AdBlock plugin does, but it will also do it on your smartphone/tablet and smart TV.
Thanks given by:
(20-08-2014, 07:58 AM)lolsteve Wrote: As I recall from school there's a flow chart program that gives you an insight into basic program writing. We had to design a program to water plants every so few hours if the inputs from the moisture content readers in the soil read too low a value along with controlling the temperature etc.
So it would go something like "is input 1 value < 10, yes - activate output 1 , no - start at beginning"

Was basic but it helped me get an understanding of how basic coding works and got me to do A level programming in college. And then helped even more in university with writing code in matlab as you can follow the program easier than those who come across it for the first time

We used it at uni. FlowCode?

[Image: mainscreen2.jpg]

For age 9 to 11 i wouldnt go that far. I would be looking for some block based program like lego mindstorms! Which is actually a great thing to do. You can program it with blocks and then for older kids you can program it with code.

[Image: ris-programming.jpg]

Love lego mindstorms and there used to be a yearly competition for it too!

https://education.lego.com/en-gb/prescho...mpetitions
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tool Box Talk cully 22 5,450 26-07-2016, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Frosty
  Colleagues stolen laptop, IP trace (talk talk isp) stevieg 11 2,619 05-12-2015, 12:22 AM
Last Post: stevieg
  Mini talk. bashbarnard 41 5,492 03-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Last Post: DavidA