Project- 306 2.0 8v Turbo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project- 306 2.0 8v Turbo
Unfortunately not many people know those ECUs very well from what I've seen... It's the same ECU as used in the XU10J4 (S16) engine, trying to find any information is a nightmare... I know of maybe one or two companies who have overcome the fuel cut at higher boost levels...

They're usually good to ~200hp - but past there, they run out of calibration and it just cuts fuel.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Well I have only just seen this project for the first time. Good work! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Well, the guy on here, ride a zx tct first limitation of 200kPa map sensor, So if you blow over 1bar, enters the protection mode.
[Image: img0331d.jpg]
Necessary to change the sign or deceive
Make room for the turbo
[Image: img0329ld.jpg]
intercooler, 406, xantia etc
Useless, 2 broken, can not stand the pressure at 1.5bar
Turbo Evo TD05-16g twin scroll
[Image: img1161q.jpg]
[Image: img1159py.jpg]
[Image: img1173q.jpg][Image: img1174ys.jpg]
[Image: img5013n.jpg][Image: img5014nt.jpg]
[Image: img9002l.jpg]
[Image: img9003j.jpg]
[Image: img0065aj.jpg]
Well there are many more photos.
Only two problems to fix first.
Here the camshaft pulley has rubber, and this causes desynchronization of the distribution, and the piston valve brush the damaging them.
And another problem is the gas recirculation, which let a lot of oil to the pistons, breaking them. This guy broke two piston engines because the oil in them.
If you want more information and photos, just ask me.
I do not want to invade your presentation.
Thanks given by:
(06-11-2014, 12:38 PM)akuma406 Wrote: Well, the guy on here, ride a zx tct first limitation of 200kPa map sensor, So if you blow over 1bar, enters the protection mode.
[Image: img0331d.jpg]
Necessary to change the sign or deceive
Make room for the turbo
[Image: img0329ld.jpg]
intercooler, 406, xantia etc
Useless, 2 broken, can not stand the pressure at 1.5bar
Turbo Evo TD05-16g twin scroll
[Image: img1161q.jpg]
[Image: img1159py.jpg]
[Image: img1173q.jpg][Image: img1174ys.jpg]
[Image: img5013n.jpg][Image: img5014nt.jpg]
[Image: img9002l.jpg]
[Image: img9003j.jpg]
[Image: img0065aj.jpg]
Well there are many more photos.
Only two problems to fix first.
Here the camshaft pulley has rubber, and this causes desynchronization of the distribution, and the piston valve brush the damaging them.
And another problem is the gas recirculation, which let a lot of oil to the pistons, breaking them. This guy broke two piston engines because the oil in them.
If you want more information and photos, just ask me.
I do not want to invade your presentation.

Any help is appreciated, i still have the fast idle issue, its idling at just under 1500 rpm then the moment you plus the throttle position sensor in the revs go up to 4000. i have checked for air leaks but cant seem to find any, plus i have no exhaust at the moment, so no o2 sensor. Once i have the exhaust made and everything connected as it should be i can start the fault finding process. Just hoping the ecu has not gone tits.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Flying the Flag for the XU10J2TE

You Tube: 832 Performance
Thanks given by:
I think I will have to go for a standard turbo rebuild as I don't have to room. If the car was a left hooker I would be laughing. DP do a nice exhaust manifold but it won't fit a RHD

Need to get it running properly first Sleepy
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
You can fit fair sized turbochargers down the back... You've got about the same room as the 8v XUD9 - the head is near identical, and you've got more room above, as you don't have the inlet manifold on the back also - so you can design a tasty exhaust manifold that doesn't get in the way!

[Image: manifold_tag_slider__93607.jpg?t=1409658829]

That's the idea, get the runners to sit above, then point the inlet down so you can tuck the turbo right underneath as close to head and engine as possible.

Especially if you get a compact, modern unit, something like a BorgWarner EFR series, pointless in putting on a Garrett GT series these days, they're all 15 year old designs now!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(06-11-2014, 05:39 PM)Ruan Wrote: You can fit fair sized turbochargers down the back... You've got about the same room as the 8v XUD9 - the head is near identical, and you've got more room above, as you don't have the inlet manifold on the back also - so you can design a tasty exhaust manifold that doesn't get in the way!

That's the idea, get the runners to sit above, then point the inlet down so you can tuck the turbo right underneath as close to head and engine as possible.

Especially if you get a compact, modern unit, something like a BorgWarner EFR series, pointless in putting on a Garrett GT series these days, they're all 15 year old designs now!

Had a look at those turbos and at a grand starting price I think I will leave that one.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Another brick wall.  Looks like the IACV is playing up, so need to replace that first  before anything else.

Only problem is its £112 from ECP, and thats the cheapest i can get it.

Seen a few second hand on ebay but again you don't know if they are any good.

On a happy note i have a HKS SSQV IV on its way for Christmas Inlove

(06-11-2014, 05:39 PM)Ruan Wrote: You can fit fair sized turbochargers down the back... You've got about the same room as the 8v XUD9 - the head is near identical, and you've got more room above, as you don't have the inlet manifold on the back also - so you can design a tasty exhaust manifold that doesn't get in the way!

The manifold in this pic is very nice, but ot would not work on the 306, as the turbo would hit on the gear linkages, the manifold would have to be of a similar design to the existing one but better flowing,  I am not a fan of tucking the turbo closer to the engine block as i am concered it could cause hot spots in the engine.  I thinks a vems ECU from DP engineering and a GT25 turbo plus a rolling road set up will surfice, but that is way down the line yet.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Managed to find a almost new iacv but that has not cured the problem. I am going to do a double check for air leaks, then sit down with the wiring diagrams. It's just so strange the moment the throttle position sensor is plugged in the revs shoot up to 4000 rpm and sit there. Disconnecting it drops the rpm to just under 1500 rpm. The TPS is ok. It's looking more like a ecu fault. If that's the case then the big save will begin for an aftermarket job.  Confused

On a positive note the ssqv arrived via santa's sleigh 
[attachment=20932]

Christmas was good for cash as now I can replace all the shocks and bushes. The brembos can then go back on for good.

It's then just getting the exhaust downpipe and cat made, the body work sorted and fingers crossed on the road for the summer. Depending on the idle fault of course. 
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Ok today I got the ssqv fitted and it sounds fantastic so much better than your average dump valve.

Spent a few hours on the idling fault and can only conclude that the TPS needs setting up as when I plugged another one in that was not attached to the throttle housing I was able to make it idle correctly . It's as though the throttle butterfly is in the wrong position. As usual can't find bugger all about it and a phone call to the local Peugeot dealer ended up in "you've done what to a 306" " sorry sir you will have to book it in"  

I have posted a thred on the electrics area but if anybody can help I would really appreciate it.

The new suspension should be arriving tomorrow too 
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Those HKS SSQV's do sound nice! Mate had one on his celica GT4, much better than any old bailey etc.. anyway
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(07-01-2015, 10:15 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: Those HKS SSQV's do sound nice! Mate had one on his celica GT4, much better than any old bailey etc.. anyway

it does sound fantastic. Just need to get the cash together to have the downpipe made, then i can get the rest of the exhaust fitted up.

Suspension arrived yesterday, did the rear shocks last night.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by: karl1989
Not too much left to finish her off then! Would be good to see some speedo etc. vids once she's all complete, expect it goes well enough.
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(07-01-2015, 10:49 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: Not too much left to finish her off then! Would be good to see some speedo etc. vids once she's all complete, expect it goes well enough.

I have tried it at my work yard and it has the acceleration that puts a smile on you face and makes you giggle and want to go faster, i am really impressed at how good it is, so many people slag this engine off, but i have nothing but praise for it. I know that the engine i have has been played with, it is running on the limit of the ECU's fuelling, when it was dynoed in the citroen it was hitting around the 190bhp at the wheels, that was with standard induction, exhaust and intercooler, i am hoping that with the induction system, race exhaust and large intercooler i will be hitting around the 200bhp mark

Still a way to go yet.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
http://youtu.be/duqetPPgcW4

Ran the beasty up for a while today. Bodged in a lambda sensor in front of the down pipe to see if anything happened. Engine revs dropped slightly on tick over so can't really do any more diagnosis till the exhsust is on and I have a good lambda sensor installed.

The vid is with the TPS off the housing.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Today consisted of getting the front shocks, lower wish bones and the antiroll bar drop links on.

Brembos will be going on next week.

Pics to follow soon.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Brembos went on this morning with no hassle at all, using 20mm spaces with the cyclones also stops the N/S front tyre fowling the 6 speed box.

Did have the brake screech problem, but i have found using high melting point graphite grease rather than copper grease gets rid of the noise.

mechanically thats the project complete, just saving up to get the exhaust done and hopfully i can then work on the idling issue.

Next thing will be the bodywork

Cant seem to upload any pics today.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
[attachment=21343]
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Nice progress mate

Has the squel completely gone now?

How often do you grease them?
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Cheers. Its finally getting there.

When i first fitted them they pretty much did it straight away, so took the pads back out, cleaned off the copper grease, and then used the graphite grease.

Once the car is on the road i will be cleaning them out every 6 months when i service it.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Ok be interesting if you can get it not squel then I'd probably get another pair as quite cheap/always available and bolt on fitment.

What wheels do you run them with??
Thanks given by:
I think it also helps that the xantia V6 disc are drilled and grooved which helps with the brake dust.

i am running cyclones on 195/55/15 tyres with 20mm hubcentric spacers and longer wheel bolts obviously LOL

Using the 20mm spacers also gets round the issue of the tyre scrubbing the gearbox, so i have full turning circle, i am not lowering the car either so i have no issues with rolling wheel arches etc.

The idea is the car is a street sleeper
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
While waiting for the pennies to mount up. Made a start on the front bumper. I want to keep the fogs and going to mesh the rest to protect the fmic better.

[attachment=21649]
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Looks great,are you running a oil cooler aswell?

When's the exhaust getting build and to what spec?
Thanks given by:
(11-02-2015, 10:08 AM)7057sam Wrote: Looks great,are you running a oil cooler aswell?

When's the exhaust getting build and to what spec?

Thanks mate.

The downpipe and cat will be custom made at maidstone exhaust centre, the centre and rear box are a gti-6 straight through sportex system with a 3 inch rolled tail pipe. Should sound fantastic.

The drama at the moment is finding a trailer or a transporter to take the car to the exhaust place. A mate of mine has a A frame but it attaches to the front lower arms, as i have brand new arms on it i dont want to damage them.

I am not running a cooler as of yet, just using the OE set up. With the oil i am using (Silkoline 10W 40) and the cooling system set up, there should be no need for the oil cooler.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
You won't damage the wishbones with an A-frame - I've towed quite a few cars using one.

Depending on the design of the A-frame and the height of the tow bar on the towing car, you might find that it fouls on the front bumper necessitating removal. This is particularly true if you're towing with a 4x4 or similar (ie a high tow bar) and the towed car is lowered.

Biggest issue with A-frames is that they're somewhat dubious legality wise as effectively the towed car becomes an overweight unbraked trailer. There are exceptions if you're using it for recovery, but you're going to struggle to argue that with the police/VOSA if the towed car isn't road legal and is missing major parts like the exhaust!
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(11-02-2015, 05:31 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: You won't damage the wishbones with an A-frame - I've towed quite a few cars using one.

Depending on the design of the A-frame and the height of the tow bar on the towing car, you might find that it fouls on the front bumper necessitating removal. This is particularly true if you're towing with a 4x4 or similar (ie a high tow bar) and the towed car is lowered.

Biggest issue with A-frames is that they're somewhat dubious legality wise as effectively the towed car becomes an overweight unbraked trailer. There are exceptions if you're using it for recovery, but you're going to struggle to argue that with the police/VOSA if the towed car isn't road legal and is missing major parts like the exhaust!

That was the main reason, the car is insured but not taxed or mot'd, would be just my luck too and have the car confiscated.

I will just wait till i can afford to hire a trailer or transporter.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
[attachment=22460]

So finally tomorrow the car goes to have the downpipe and cat made, can not wait to hear what it will sound like with the exhaust finished

Still a way to go yet, and a few niggles to sort out. 
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Sound great

Will be running a decat eventually ??
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DeeC’s 306 VNT Turbo Build / Show Car Project darrencurry0808 63 23,225 30-12-2020, 01:45 PM
Last Post: darrencurry0808
  Project Truck Turbo MkII, gathering dust ozonehostile 418 188,257 29-08-2019, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Dturboleeds
  306 XND to D-turbo track car project Sfin01 0 1,763 01-01-2019, 02:10 AM
Last Post: Sfin01