Wiper problem and speedo seriously confused !

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiper problem and speedo seriously confused !
Hi i have just joined the site after just purchasing a 3 door hdi which i am starting to find alot of hidden faults with .... hmmm.

Anyway its a 2000 hdi and from time to time the speedo stops working then a few minutes later works again? And also the auto/ intermittent wipers arent working as are the washer wipe. I will put the stalk onto auto and nothing works. And if i put the washers on the jets will work but the wipers wont. I have to push the stalk down to clear.

The confusing thing is i believe there are supposed to be two purple relays. But there is only one on mine. The other is just an empty hole. If i put the wipers on normaly the purple relay in there will click when the wipers go up and then back down on the settings that do work i.e fast speed, normal speed and if i push the stalk down. Am i right in thinking that maybe the other relay runs the auto/ intermittent and the wash/wipe? Or do some phase threes only have one purple relay and there is something else? Sorry for the essay but i am baffled. Its been dewipered at the rear. This shouldnt effect it though surely? Any help realy would be appreciated
Thanks given by:
welcome Smile

With regards to the speedo, its a very common and simple fix. New VSS (vehicle speed sensor) From pug they are about £40 or second hand about £10. Located on top of the diff behind the block, its 1x 10mm bolt holding it in and the plug and thats it. Simple

Not 100% sure with the wipers but it sounds to me like the sensor on the windscreen. Second hand one can be had for about £15. Pull the rear view mirror casing downwards (careful its not away. you could smash the screen) and this will reveal the sensor. 1 plug and a clip either side that pulls out towards the doors. take the sensor off (dont loose the 2 small squares of clear rubber stuck to the windscreen) and replace.)
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Thanks mate so i dont need to worry that there is only one purple relay as opposed to two?
Thanks given by:
Off the top of my head, i cant remember how many relays there are in there. Try swapping them over and try again to see if you loose or gain functionality.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
The problem is the diagrams and photos i have seen there are supposed to be two purple relays. however on mine i have one purple relay next to the green one and where the other purple relay is supposed to go is just an empty hole. no connectors there or anything for a relay to fit in to.
Thanks given by:
i have a known working rain sensor that sounds like is at fault if you need it drop me a PM
[Image: ForumSignature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ok cheers guys i know ive already had it explained but to get to the sensor i have to remove the mirror by just gently pulling it off? Or is it behind the cap?
Thanks given by:
the bit that the mirror is fixed to that looks like it it stuck to the windscreen, slide it down the windscreen. Might need a little bit of wiggling. Dont pull it away from the windscreen because you could smash it!

Oh and dont pay too much attention to wiring diagrams. They can be wrong often for these lovely little french tins!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
to remove the rear view mirror you slide it down the windscreen parallel with the glass towards the bonnet! dont force it whatever you do!
Thanks given by:
I shall have a go at this later on and let you know how i get on. Realy appreciate your help
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wiper problem (relay?) Pughawk 6 3,078 25-10-2018, 08:45 AM
Last Post: pug306driver
  Wiper Problem mangler 3 1,763 08-09-2016, 02:03 PM
Last Post: mangler
Question HELP PLEASE, front wiper problem losing my mind Mattcheese31 53 15,869 01-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Mattcheese31