Thinking of getting a second car

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking of getting a second car
Hi guys,

I'm toying with the idea of getting a cheap 6 as a weekend car.

My daily is a HDI Dturbo for the commute and I fancy something a bit quicker for the weekend.

I was wondering if any of you have regretted getting a second car for fun?

I also look after my girlfriends 206 Dturbo. I might sell that to make things a bit more affordable, let her use the 6 to get to work as we don't live to far from her work and she usually cycles in the summer.
Thanks given by:
Either that or get another HDi and go stage 2 Big Grin It'll be quicker than a '6 and if you want to go to meets etc up and down the country, you can take your "toy" without worrying about the fuel bill.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
If I was planning a toy it would be something juicy and rwd!!

Mine is effectively my toy but its a daily as well

If I want comfort I take the landrover lol
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I dont regret it, we'v got 3 306's and i maintain/mod all 3, can be abit hetic at times but its all good aslong as you stay on top of it,

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(07-03-2013, 06:19 PM)Jonny b Wrote: If I was planning a toy it would be something juicy and rwd!!

Mine is effectively my toy but its a daily as well

If I want comfort I take the landrover lol

I've been keeping an eye out for a wait for it... Smart roadster. I do like them but I can't justify spending over 2k for a poor example.

(07-03-2013, 06:17 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Either that or get another HDi and go stage 2 Big Grin It'll be quicker than a '6 and if you want to go to meets etc up and down the country, you can take your "toy" without worrying about the fuel bill.

I was just thinking if I should just modify the current car would be a lot cheaper but it has a lot of miles under its belt.

I might even be happy with a stage 1 might see how that goes I suppose?

(07-03-2013, 06:22 PM)puglove Wrote: I dont regret it, we'v got 3 306's and i maintain/mod all 3, can be abit hetic at times but its all good aslong as you stay on top of it,

Wow, so are you paying a separate insurance policies for each of the cars or have you got some special policy that covers all the car in one?
Thanks given by:
IMO a '6 isn't "special enough" to make it a worthy second / weekend car.

It should be impractical and lairy like the old codger says, like an old sportscar or something...
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
The mrs insures the xsi in her name and iv got the Dt and gti6 on a admiral multi car policy is actually very cheap, considering putting the xsi on it aswell tbh

(07-03-2013, 06:46 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: IMO a '6 isn't "special enough" to make it a worthy second / weekend car.

It should be impractical and lairy like the old codger says, like an old sportscar or something...

What and my 6 isnt ???

Thats the idea of having a 6 as a second car so that you can make it lairy as f*ck and not have to worry what its going to be like to drive day to day

Thanks given by:
Or... man the f*ck up, make the car what you want and still drive it day to day Tongue
Thanks given by:
shut it you! Tongue

Thanks given by:
2nd cars are awesome, can give them abuse on the weekend without having to worry about it getting you to work on monday. get something better than a '6 though, unless you supercharge/turbo one
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I've ran 2 cars for years, due to the fact I need something big and practical for my job. Weirldy nowadays my daily is lairier (sp?) than the weekend car lol The 406 is still decent fun to thrash though, in a big wallowy kind of way.
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
I was going to do this, but I might just get a bike again, can get a properly fast bike for a lot less insurance than a fast car.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2013, 05:47 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Hi guys,

I'm toying with the idea of getting a cheap 6 as a weekend car.

My daily is a HDI Dturbo for the commute and I fancy something a bit quicker for the weekend.

I was wondering if any of you have regretted getting a second car for fun?

I also look after my girlfriends 206 Dturbo. I might sell that to make things a bit more affordable, let her use the 6 to get to work as we don't live to far from her work and she usually cycles in the summer.

i found my second car has come in handy, when the 306 has been borrowed by my dad when his car goes in for mot etc,
with it been 21 years old now and not many knocking about on the road. its a nice little head turner. can be fun to tinker on with at times too.
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2013, 07:33 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: 2nd cars are awesome, can give them abuse on the weekend without having to worry about it getting you to work on monday. get something better than a '6 though, unless you supercharge/turbo one

This, a six is too comfy/soft to be a proper weekend toy. Needs to be rwd and either really light or stupidly powerful.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Needs to be a Coupe at the very least.

What would your budget be?
MK2 MR2, MK1 MX5, 200SX?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
How much you got to spend?
when in doubt...... flat out.
Thanks given by:
(08-03-2013, 11:01 AM)Poodle Wrote: This, a six is too comfy/soft to be a proper weekend toy. Needs to be rwd and either really light or stupidly powerful.

You clearly haven't been in mine or seen it navigate a bump lol

I have nothing against 2 cars (obviously), just '6 daily ftw
Thanks given by:
Rallye daily.

Until it spits a rod or two Sad
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
I only really get a chance to drive my 6 on the weekends now, still puts a grin on my face every time I drive it, it really depends what you want in a weekend car though, 6 is epic to chuck about the corners and has enough power on the straights for its size... Just my 2 cents
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(08-03-2013, 11:30 AM)Curt Wrote: You clearly haven't been in mine or seen it navigate a bump lol

Thats different, you ruined your suspension. :p

What I meant was - for a fun weekend toy - the 6 has got way too many creature comforts and not enough fun, imho anyway. An XSi convertible would be a step in the right direction I guess... Point is, I can have as much fun, if not more in fact, thrashing my mates polo about the place as I can in a 6. All hes done is fitted coilies and a noisy intake and exhaust, but its hilariously good to abuse. Still not what id think of as a proper weekend toy though.

Maybe i'm just too picky... Itwasntme
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Just get a cheap skid car to trash about. Smile
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
A 6 is shit....it's slow and thirsty (/tom306) HOWEVER it is still bloody fun. You don't need 400bhp of rwd fun as there isn't really anywhere in the uk you can use it to its potential except track. Good thing about a 6 is, you can spank te bollocks off of it down a country road. It might not be the fastest but its bloody fun!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(08-03-2013, 05:31 PM)Niall Wrote: You don't need 400bhp of rwd fun as there isn't really anywhere in the uk you can use it to its potential except track.

You need to come to Cheddar Gorge!! Big Grin
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(08-03-2013, 05:43 PM)silverzx Wrote:
(08-03-2013, 05:31 PM)Niall Wrote: You don't need 400bhp of rwd fun as there isn't really anywhere in the uk you can use it to its potential except track.

Can you recommend some good roads round there? Last time I was down the actual Cheddar Gorge road was closed?!
Thanks given by:
(08-03-2013, 05:43 PM)silverzx Wrote: You need to come to Cheddar Gorge!! Big Grin

this, i need to go down the gorge ALOT in the summer, epic road
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(08-03-2013, 05:48 PM)fuziduck Wrote:
(08-03-2013, 05:43 PM)silverzx Wrote:

Can you recommend some good roads round there? Last time I was down the actual Cheddar Gorge road was closed?!

Basically once your fed up of the gorge just drive up through and explore the mendips. There are some epic bits of road up there and some amazing views of Somerset and Glastonbury to be had.

(08-03-2013, 06:16 PM)ozonehostile Wrote:
(08-03-2013, 05:43 PM)silverzx Wrote: You need to come to Cheddar Gorge!! Big Grin

this, i need to go down the gorge ALOT in the summer, epic road

Make sure you give me a nudge when your heading down. Smile
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(08-03-2013, 11:08 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: Needs to be a Coupe at the very least.

What would your budget be?
MK2 MR2, MK1 MX5, 200SX?

I was thinking about a MX5 a couple years back.

(08-03-2013, 11:22 AM)bingham123456 Wrote: How much you got to spend?

I wouldn't like to spend no more then a grand.

I was really tempted to get this.
[Image: %24T2eC16NHJGQE9noMZGyYBRMjHMKdyw~~60_57.JPG]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-Roadster...true&rt=nc

But it's a lot more then I'd like to spend.
Thanks given by:
smart roadsters are bloody brilliant fun to hoon about in. although for almost the same money you could have a lotus lise/vauxhall vx220 which is about 10x more fun
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I would love an Elise but there definitely out of my price range.

I might ask a guy at work if he'd like to go halves on one.

If that roadster was 2k I would have got it.
Thanks given by:
i had an elise, had to get rid as needed something with a place to carry something bigger than a cd case, but now that im an electronic engineer i can see myself buying another Smile

definatly worth getting one by any means, best car you will ever drive (probably)
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thinking about defecting!!! bashbarnard 23 4,118 10-01-2017, 09:50 PM
Last Post: cully
  Thinking of getting this...... MarkTD 5 1,827 27-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Last Post: Eeyore
  thinking if going defiltered???...... Piggy 15 3,341 17-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Last Post: Jimmy306uk