Thinking about defecting!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking about defecting!!!
So im thinking about  buying a gti6 for a second car i just dont know if i can bring myself to do it or not though. ALWAYS had diesel 306s ive never owned a petrol one. After a few seasons around the shows etc the gti6 seems like a very capable track car. look at cullys or carl chambers in his standard one. sams and sams. i feel like a little part of me might die inside though.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Once you own a 6 diesels lose all appeal... Well they did for me anyway lmao
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2017, 08:05 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: Once you own a 6 diesels lose all appeal... Well they did for me anyway lmao

Well ive drove a six just not in anger before
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
driving a relatively std 6 on the limit is something else Wink

such a shame the videos from Cadwell were lost that was a good day to see Smile

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
I'd do it. They're going to appreciate in value if they are kept near standard or you at least keep the parts to put back to standard. Have some fun along the way. Could treat it as an investment lol
Thanks given by:
205 gti6 is where its at. Either way petrol is for real men lmao
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
Well we will see. I like the idea im just not fully commited yet to be honest. I think i may just be missing the fast car feel at the mo. There are always ones that pop up now and again. I want a 3 door blaze so whatever one pops up i guess local at some point in the futre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Done it myself, enjoyable for the time you're at 10/10ths - rest of the time it just pissed me off, no go at anything under 4750, stupid cambelt intervals, shocking fuel consumption, stupid long gearbox in first 3 gears, too short thereafter.

Put it this way, I ripped the GTi6 motor out...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by: 1616six
Its entirely each to their own Smile Diesels wont be for everyone and neither will petrols!

Personally i think the diesel 306's are a cracking motor but i prefer the petrol powered for my thrills. why not just own both? Tongue

Daily veg boost bus & track gti6 ftw!
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
boosted perv - yes
Thanks given by:
You need a good one if you do buy one, some GTi6s feel much quicker than others, Fooby's for instance is slow.
They aren't great on fuel even driven sensibly. At 60mph on the motorway my Rallye did 36.6mpg on the way to Scotland, same journey in the bigger, heavier, more powerful, 4wd, impreza was 39.9mpg at the same speed

They are also very eager engines, they are difficult to drive slowly and seem to want to spend all their time on cam.
Thanks given by:
Tbh I don't think I'd enjoy driving a 6 daily, the enjoyment from mine comes from if I drive it anywhere it's usually an occasion in itself or just going out for the fun of winding it through some good roads at the top of the rev range.
It's shit to park in town, thirsty, drones on the motorway, but as a bit of fun they're perfect
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Used to drive one daily over a few years and it was fine tbh, drone on the motorway (straight through and no interior, so ya know..) and the clutch getting a bit heavy in stop start traffic were the only real issues. It's a car that makes you want to drive it fast though, i think it's due to the power delivery it just begs to rev it out. Think it has to be the most reliable car I've owned so far too? The only thing other than servicing items that got changed in it's entire ownership was a water temp sensor.
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
MPG is a big issue. So,supercharge it. I got 48mpg out of mine on the motorway after it was boosted. Just don't put your foot down! Haha
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I've got one and drive it daily, I've got a love/hate relationship with it. As previously said it's fine as a daily, clutch à it heavy making stop/start driving a pain and you need to change gears quite a lot, and the engine is always wanting you to get in the revs but it's got enough torque at low revs for normal driving too. Fuel consumption is around 33mpg for everyday driving. And yes it's also the most reliable thing I've owned, I've done 30k in 4 years without a mechanical problem.
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2017, 11:54 AM)Niall Wrote: Just don't put your foot down! Haha

that's an issue i have!
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
This wont be a daily driven thing. Its gonna be a toy for track use and shows etc. Ill keep my veg bus i like it to much. I think niall has a point ive always liked the idea of a boosted one. Just never really been sure. Im getting a hankering for one now though.

Also not having anything under 4 grand will be annoying. Ive lived under that rev range for many many years

Thanks given by:
Tow it to the show with your chipshop
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2017, 12:32 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: This wont be a daily driven thing. Its gonna be a toy for track use and shows etc. Ill keep my veg bus i like it to much. I think niall has a point ive always liked the idea of a boosted one. Just never really been sure. Im getting a hankering for one now though.

Also not having anything under 4 grand will be annoying. Ive lived under that rev range for many many years

It's just something you get used to and adjust your driving to suit, i wouldn't say 'nothing' under 4 grand, it starts moving well from 3500+, as long as it's in the right gear it's got plenty of pull. Will cruise happily at 30 in 5th and about 35 in 6th IIRC. If it's on track it probably won't see under 4k anyway
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Tbh first time I drove one after a 1.8 I felt it a bit underwhelming but jot as underwhelming as Steve's rover. Get somemods into it and lighten it and that's where the fun begins.
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2017, 07:44 PM)Eeyore Wrote: Tbh first time I drove one after a 1.8 I felt it a bit underwhelming but jot as underwhelming as Steve's rover. Get somemods into it and lighten it and that's where the fun begins.

So this is my thought. im sure a turbo would probably sort it out.
Thanks given by:
std car with set up suspension will be just fine for the track, plenty of smiles to be had there Wink
clutch's dont have to be heavy mine is real light way lighter than the HDI i had

when i first got into the 6 from the HDI i really struggled with no low down torque on pulling away stalled it a good few times
even catch's me out now going from diesel to petrol Wink

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:
(10-01-2017, 08:00 PM)cully Wrote: std car with set up suspension will be just fine for the track, plenty of smiles to be had there Wink
clutch's dont have to be heavy mine is real light way lighter than the HDI i had

when i first got into the 6 from the HDI i really struggled with no low down torque on pulling away stalled it a good few times
even catch's me out now going from diesel to petrol Wink

this is what i was gonna go for originally. spend the money on some good tyres and brakes etc. it was mostly your car that has made me want to do this to be fair.
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2017, 08:13 PM)bashbarnard Wrote:  it was mostly your car that has made me want to do this to be fair.

cool I'm glad i could help Big Grin
any questions just ask Wink

GTI6 Info

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice: Thinking of defecting. beulah 16 3,020 18-07-2016, 01:18 PM
Last Post: insomaniac45
  Thinking of getting this...... MarkTD 5 1,828 27-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Last Post: Eeyore
  thinking if going defiltered???...... Piggy 15 3,342 17-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Last Post: Jimmy306uk