1 clunk when accelerating, and 1 when braking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 clunk when accelerating, and 1 when braking
Hi all,

I've fitted my A048R semi slicks back on today, and with all the extra grip they give, I've run into a bit of an irritating issue, that said, I did have it once or twice on the other wheels.

If I launch pretty hard, I get a clunk from underneath my feet - 1 knock.. that's it. If I then brake really hard, I get 1 knock. If I set of gently, no knock. It's like something is moving forwards and backwards.

Also, if I launch hard, I get a knock, then brake gently with no knock and launch hard again I still have no knock.

I have vibratechnics pbushes, and powerflex front bushes in the wishbones along with nearly new top mounts, vibratechnics engine mounts and a welded up (and substantially stronger!) top engine mount along with brand new track rod ends and rose jointed drop links.

I'll get underneath and have a poke about tomorrow, but what do you reckon? A balljoint starting to go?

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
If you have a lower strut brace, check it's not whacking the bottom mount. Mine does this a fair bit.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Seems really odd in the fact that when it moves back and hits what ever it hits it stays there untill it forced forward again,

If it was the strut brace & mount it would hit it and move back as soon as the stress of the launch was gone, unless its the welded mount cousing it not to swing back but i doubt it, :S

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
id probably say ball joint or elongated hole where ball joint goes, could possibly be track rod end worth a quick jack up though to check

check tie rods too as this was my problem before i got pissed off with it all falling to bits and put a fully built up subframe with all shiney parts tie rods the lot lol
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm with cj, possibly the ball joint moving around in the wishbone
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Had this with a number of ST tdci mondeos...

subframe bolts kept coming loose

There was a recall over it in the end.

Worth checking subframe bolts?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
steering rack moving? as you say its coming from under your feet
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I had the same in my xsi, it went away after a while. So I pretended it fixed itself hahaha
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
By after a while, you mean when you stripped it? lol
Thanks given by:
Matt you really should be ban from owning any type of motorised vechicle Tongue

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Does it effect the steering? When my wishbone snapped at the pbush end, it would yank the steering coming on and off the loud pedal. A badly worn pbush would give the same effect (just not as severe lol)
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I have this, also happens when reversing with the wheel turned to the left... I've changed the hub wishbone and pinch bolt. The track rod ends are also new (adjustable ones). Still can't work it out so was gonna throw it to a mechanic next week...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
I'll take it to bits tomorrow and see what I find.. It's ever so annoying.

When you guys say tie rods, you mean track rods - right?

I'm 99% sure it's not the wishbones, but I guess it could be the balljoint / wishbone bolts.

I do vaguely remember trashing one of the balljoints with a hammer when me and Chris were whacking it in fitting it to the GTi... suppose it could be damaged.

I have also checked the subframe, got caught out there with my golf...

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Well youve got the tie bar which threads onto the steering rack whih has a bush on then your rod end screws into this mine had play on bush connecting to rack
Thanks given by:
Ah ok, I've never taken one of those apart... can you replace the whole bar?
JP
Thanks given by:
Yeah they just unscrew from the rack pal you cn usually tell if its this as it has play when jacked up Smile
Thanks given by:
No play at all anywhere Sad Had it up in the air and can't feel anything... very odd.
JP
Thanks given by:
My money's on wishbone bolts. Mine did this when the front bush bolt snapped, wishbone felt tight but the bolt had snapped in a really awkward way wedging it. It also meant a new subframe.. not saying yours is that bad but mine gave the exact symptoms as yours, if I were you i'd remove the wishbones completely to check them over.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
the front wishbone bolts are tight, nipped up properly... the back ones through the pbush are done up tight.
JP
Thanks given by:
What i'm saying is mine felt tight, but out of curiosity I went to remove them and the front on one side was tight because it had twisted itself into the bush when it snapped, felt snug with an 18mm spanner but was truly f*cked up
Thanks given by:
Maybe you got a tool stuck somewhere?! or a loose spare wheel!?! lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Hmmm... worth taking them out to have a look.

Tool, no... spare wheel? C'mon! Tongue

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2013, 03:08 PM)jammapic Wrote: Hmmm... worth taking them out to have a look.

JP

Exactly. Why fit a spare wheel when it obviously doesn't match the rest? lmao
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2013, 03:08 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:
(07-03-2013, 03:08 PM)jammapic Wrote: Hmmm... worth taking them out to have a look.

JP

coz your too cheap to get a matching one...I on the other hand....I'll stop being a smug git Angel
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Whats a spare wheel?
Thanks given by:
no idea...but all this spare wheel talk aint helping jammapic
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2013, 03:03 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: Maybe you got a tool stuck somewhere?! or a loose spare wheel!?! lol

You wouldnt fit in his engine bay Tongue

Can of tyre weld Smile

Or RAC number in my case lol
Thanks given by:
lmao

touche
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2013, 03:09 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote:
(07-03-2013, 03:08 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:

JP

coz your too cheap to get a matching one...I on the other hand....I'll stop being a smug git Angel

Go look up the price of a single XXR 530. Has to be gold, 16x8.25, ET0, 4x100, and fitted with 195/40/16 Falken ZE912. Bet it costs as much as all five of your wheels combined lol
Thanks given by:
good point...now get back on subject you troller Tongue
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Braking on and off MY95 20 3,033 19-03-2015, 10:20 PM
Last Post: MY95
  clunk knocking sound Whodafunk 28 5,805 07-01-2014, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Whodafunk
  clunk when turning rd070707 8 2,450 15-07-2013, 05:46 PM