clunk when turning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
clunk when turning
So I have a pretty nasty clonk that I get from both front sides it seems when I turn at low speed. I would call it a clonk although it almost sounds like a ping.

It doesn't make the noise when cornering at any speed

When turning and feeling the top mounts you can feel a little vibration through them.

any ideas?
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Are you running coilovers?
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
How low would you class low speed? I've got a similar sort of knock from what I can gather from your description, mine can be there anywhere up to 40ish. Been chasing it for a while now, changed the top mounts/strut/springs, droplinks, wishbones, and will be changing the arb bushes next weekend as long as I get them sometime this week. lol

Although, reading your post again, if it's "pinging", I'd be inclined to think top mounts, but I'm not a professional like Dum-Dum, so i could be wrong.
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
well yeah it is like a pinging, and yeah man its got coils in it but dont know which ones tbh, but at a glance pretty sure the helpers are out. next step might be to just swap my good coilies/ top mounts for these ones
Thanks given by:
(14-07-2013, 05:02 PM)rd070707 Wrote: well yeah it is like a pinging, and yeah man its got coils in it but dont know which ones tbh, but at a glance pretty sure the helpers are out. next step might be to just swap my good coilies/ top mounts for these ones

Don't. First, get some grease in and around the areas the spring seats. The pinging clunking noise is the springs binding as you turn the wheel. Perfectly normal for a lot of coilies, especially cheap ones without bushes fitted to allow the springs to move.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sure its not top mount bearings?
Thanks given by:
top mount bearings wouldnt normally ping...
that ping as pellowe said is the springs skipping in their seats
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ah right, so some grease should shut it up? may just fit mine as they are newer anyway
Thanks given by:
I used to get the ping, but that was because I had one coilover higher than the other(so it looked same on both arches). Set em both level and no ping since.

Although one side sits slight higher ;(
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear Beam and Brake squeeking while turning? JTaylor2005 5 1,623 20-10-2016, 03:37 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  clunk knocking sound Whodafunk 28 5,819 07-01-2014, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Whodafunk
  Reversed over a kerb, groaning noise turning right rtha6551 3 1,399 22-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Last Post: LJ_D