£9.99 HIDs on amazon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
£9.99 HIDs on amazon
Id be a bit warry using them as fog lights for the same reason you don't use your main beams in fog... You just light up the fog and can't see shit
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I have yet to drive a car with fog lights which actually help you see further...

they just light up a few metres of tarmac....which dip beam is already doing.

back on subject....9.99...is it not a case of you get what you pay for?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yea but they iz hids innit
Thanks given by:
Iz aye for realz?!

make lurrrv to the night....

with HIDs! lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2013, 12:50 AM)Piggy1987 Wrote: I have yet to drive a car with fog lights which actually help you see further...

They're not there to make you see FURTHER. They're installled low down to light up your closer surroundings better.
Thanks given by:
As srowell said I also live in the country and found them handy for lighting up the sides of the road more
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2013, 11:50 AM)Jacko Wrote:
(12-02-2013, 12:50 AM)Piggy1987 Wrote: I have yet to drive a car with fog lights which actually help you see further...

They're not there to make you see FURTHER. They're installled low down to light up your closer surroundings better.

This! They aren't designed with distance involved! That's why they are located where they are, so they can illuminate the edge of the road / bank....
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
which you can already see with your dipped beam?!?!?!

but on what they do light up, whether its good or not, is why I argue with the police fining you for having them on...fine me for the rears but fogs point down and to the sides...so how can they be dazzling to road users?!?....You look like a muppet with them on when it aint foggy, yes, but a fine is harsh
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
They do dazzle because they generally don't point down enough to not dazzle not to mention that some cars are actually uncapped and so are substantially worse than the 306! Anyway, they are designed to be used in fog so that's when you should use them.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2013, 01:18 PM)Niall Wrote: Anyway, they are designed to be used in fog so that's when you should use them.

amen to that...
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2013, 01:09 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: which you can already see with your dipped beam?!?!?

In thick fog, your main beams are shit.

Basically illuminating the fog immediately in front of the car, which actually prevents you from seeing forward.

I've been stuck in fog so bad that I've resorted to using the sidelights and front fogs, just to see.

Fog lights are mounted down low for that reason; they penetrate the fog as best as possible.

I must admit that I've only ever needed front fogs a handful of times in my driving lifetime..
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
As said, fog lights are mounted low down to shine under the fog if possible, and at least not dazzle you with your own light reflecting in your eyes if not. Which is why they dazzle oncoming drivers massively.
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2013, 03:19 PM)C.A.R. Wrote:
(12-02-2013, 01:09 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: which you can already see with your dipped beam?!?!?

In thick fog, your main beams are shit.

Basically illuminating the fog immediately in front of the car, which actually prevents you from seeing forward.

thats why I said dipped beam Dodgy
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Tbh, I find the problem with 306 dipped lights is distance rather than light output. Never really noticed until I had a car with proper lights ( Tongue ) but even ph3 lights are poor at 'throwing' light (although granted, theyre better than ph2 frostys lol). Its very obvious when Im behind someone (was a Focus I noticed yesterday for example) on a dark country lane or even overtaking how much further down the road their dipped beams are than mine. You might say stick the mains on but on my road you havbe a car round nearly every other corner so have to switch off the mains losing vision when you most need it anyway.

I find nightbreakers are more than enough light output......its just the distance that they light up hasn't really improved. I can now see verges much better though, so dont use the fogs for that anymore.
Thanks given by:
my ph1 with nightbreakers are excellent to be fair...

getting some twin optics soon though I hope...

not got front fogs and havnt suffered without them this winter

On a side point....

would HIDs be illegal if just for main beam, like on twin optics?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2013, 05:45 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: my ph1 with nightbreakers are excellent to be fair...

getting some twin optics soon though I hope...

not got front fogs and havnt suffered without them this winter

On a side point....

would HIDs be illegal if just for main beam, like on twin optics?

Yes. HIDs, no matter if they are dipped or main, are illegal unless the headlights are designed for them and they are self levelling.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Depends what you compare them too though, if its the 'candles' in the 106 then yeah they seem good.............but most newer cars seem to have much better lights, even ones without the bloody blinding HIDs lol, even the legal ones are dazzling tbh.
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2013, 05:48 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Depends what you compare them too though, if its the 'candles' in the 106 then yeah they seem good.............but most newer cars seem to have much better lights, even ones without the bloody blinding HIDs lol, even the legal ones are dazzling tbh.

True. I find it rather amusing how they were a german invention and they are now trying to make them illegal because of the amount of people over there having epileptic fits due to the frequency they put out
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
^^^^ epic fail

Why though would they need to be self leveling for main beam?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The light UNITS need to be self leveling to have HID's, and have headlight washers too IIRC. I'm pleased it's illegal, it doesn't stop many people from fitting the bloody awful things but it may put a few off. As Tom said, they're bad enough on cars that are designed to run them. There is nothing wrong with normal lights or uprated bulbs, and they also don't blind other roads users.
Thanks given by:
Oh I completely agree...IMO your a complete chav to fit them to your car and blind everyone..
plus they illegal unless the housing isnt designed for them, they have washers and are auto leveling

but I couldnt see the harm in having them for main beam...was only a thought. Dodgy
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Actually, they don't need to be self levelling if the car has sports suspension, or a low payload.

So with uprated suspension or a stripped + caged car with no interior/boot space, you can argue it.
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2013, 06:11 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: Oh I completely agree...IMO your a complete chav to fit them to your car and blind everyone..
plus they illegal unless the housing isnt designed for them, they have washers and are auto leveling

but I couldnt see the harm in having them for main beam...was only a thought. Dodgy

It doesn't make you a chav at all! People have there own reasons to fitting hids. IMO when on a country lane I'd rather drive with my hids on dipped beam than high beam as IMO they are do much batter than Hugh beam! 306s have a manual leveller inside the car I use that to have it low while I'm round town and medium any where else.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2013, 09:23 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: Actually, they don't need to be self levelling if the car has sports suspension, or a low payload.

So with uprated suspension or a stripped + caged car with no interior/boot space, you can argue it.

But the headlights are still not designed for them (completely wrong projection pattern) and they still dont have washers not to mention the fact that if you want to be picky, none of the aftermarket ones are road legal as they can't get the certification.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Just nick the projector unit out of something with them as stock in the scrappy, problem solved.
Thanks given by:
^^^ not as easy as this

basically if they werent fitted in the factory when the car was built and its for road use, then HIDs are illegal
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Err, actually the VOSA implemented a guideline system last year for retrofitting aftermarket HID systems, so that's not true either.
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2013, 09:53 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: Just nick the projector unit out of something with them as stock in the scrappy, problem solved.

(12-02-2013, 10:15 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: ^^^ not as easy as this

basically if they werent fitted in the factory when the car was built and its for road use, then HIDs are illegal

Exactly this. And dont forget not all projectors are the same.
for the amount of hassle it is to get even close to being legal, you might as well just stick a good set of normal bulbs in. Philips blue vision are just as bright as a set of aftermarket HIDs that have been set up as close to legal as possible (not chav corsa "f*ck everyone else" spec)
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
RE: VOSA guideline system:
they plainly state that the lenses must be designed for the purpose of having HIDs fitted...and I dont know as yet if a company has made lenses/units for the 306s to suit HIDs??...if not then they are illegal.

They also must have self leveling, automatic, not with a switch, and washers. These are now checkable parts for the MOT tester, as per new guidelines from VOSA

repp'd Niall Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Other thing is, even if there was a way though a mot with aftermarket HIDs, personally i find it selfish that people still fit them just so they can see a few foot further yet anyone coming towards them generally have trouble seeing anything!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazon Firestick + Kodi tigerstyle 23 5,669 29-03-2017, 08:16 PM
Last Post: cully
  Amazon Seller Eeyore 10 1,971 27-09-2015, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  Clarkson and Co now with Amazon prime Iceman299 6 1,457 01-08-2015, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Matt