Been thinking! :/

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Been thinking! :/
Right been thinking for a while and I know a few of you have also. About modifying being a waste of money! Been thinking where to go with this 306 all I could get to was just stage 1 tune. But now I've been thinking more and now I thinking of just keeping this one almost standard!

Another words I've had too much time to think of things today!

I'm thinking of getting rid of the coil overs and swapping them for 40mm springs and gti6 shocks front and rear if anyone interested they're ta-technix coils done about 3-5k miles if that!

Also deciding if to get rid of the 17" aidels for 15" cyclones or keep the 17".

So if I could have some pictures of a 306 lowered 40mm front, 60mm rear on clones.
Also 40mm on 17" alloys.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Dont be a fanny stage 2 hybrid turbo. Lower it 80mm on 18z , 5" exhaust tip tintz , ecosss body kit!!!

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Got some spax shocks and springs -40mm off a hdi if you are interested mate? Wink

Thanks given by:
The way I look at it is as follows;

Sensible car such as an audi A4 diesel or similar:

Cost to buy: Starting @ £4,500
Annual Servicing: ~£300
Tyres: ~ £150 a corner for contis (?)
Depreciation over 5 years of ownership: ~£1,500ish??????

My Gti6:

Cost to buy £2k
ALL mods to date: ~£1500
Servicing: £50
Tyres: £120 a corner for PS3s in 17"
Depreciation: n/a!! (if anything, give it a few years and I reckon the value of these will start to go up...!)

You're gonna lose money hand over fist whatever car you buy, be it in the upfront cost of the car and the consequent depreciation, finance associated costs if it's an expensive car, maintenance, fuel, tax, tyres etc, but I'd far rather piss my money up the wall making my car a hoot to drive than on paying finance on some hideous, soulless rep-mobile.....

Basically, the way I look at it, I could've bought a 'nicer' car (as everyone keeps saying), but EVEN factoring in fuel economy I've still saved money over buying a newer "better" car. Thats not even factoring in that I enjoy mine way more partially as a result of the bits that I've done to it, and partly cause no stock sensible car will handle like mine does now! It puts a smile on my face every time I glance out at it from my house, or get in it to drive it that no ordinary car would do.

I appreciate there is a point at which the constant maintenance can get to be a pain in the arse with these cars, but the parts are SO much cheaper than for other cars (have you seen how much suspension components for Audis are?!?!), and they're actually very easy to work on, apart from stuff being siezed from age. I regularly catch myself trying to figure out what I'd have if I didn't have a 306, and I genuinely can't think of many cars under 20k I would take over a it...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Got some Eibach springs on GTi shocks with 2k old topmounts here.....probably be for sale within a couple of weeks.... I dont want coilovers as a swap though.
Thanks given by:
[Image: 8egemeda.jpg]

[Image: e5asabyj.jpg]

[Image: 8agugeja.jpg]

40mm on the front with spax shocks and springs,
Back was about 60mm I think!
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2013, 04:12 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: The way I look at it is as follows;

Sensible car such as an audi A4 diesel or similar:

Cost to buy: Starting @ £4,500
Annual Servicing: ~£300
Tyres: ~ £150 a corner for contis (?)
Depreciation over 5 years of ownership: ~£1,500ish??????

My Gti6:

Cost to buy £2k
ALL mods to date: ~£1500
Servicing: £50
Tyres: £120 a corner for PS3s in 17"
Depreciation: n/a!! (if anything, give it a few years and I reckon the value of these will start to go up...!)

You're gonna lose money hand over fist whatever car you buy, be it in the upfront cost of the car and the consequent depreciation, finance associated costs if it's an expensive car, maintenance, fuel, tax, tyres etc, but I'd far rather piss my money up the wall making my car a hoot to drive than on paying finance on some hideous, soulless rep-mobile.....

Basically, the way I look at it, I could've bought a 'nicer' car (as everyone keeps saying), but EVEN factoring in fuel economy I've still saved money over buying a newer "better" car. Thats not even factoring in that I enjoy mine way more partially as a result of the bits that I've done to it, and partly cause no stock sensible car will handle like mine does now! It puts a smile on my face every time I glance out at it from my house, or get in it to drive it that no ordinary car would do.

I appreciate there is a point at which the constant maintenance can get to be a pain in the arse with these cars, but the parts are SO much cheaper than for other cars (have you seen how much suspension components for Audis are?!?!), and they're actually very easy to work on, apart from stuff being siezed from age. I regularly catch myself trying to figure out what I'd have if I didn't have a 306, and I genuinely can't think of many cars under 20k I would take over a it...

I know what you mean most cars are boring compare to the 306. I enjoy my 306s love them in fact. Just thinking I ought to be a little more sensible save my money for other things. Instead of spending money on painting my smooth boot and bonnet it could go towards a nice sofa for when we have out own place. Such things like that! Smile.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
i fcuking love my 306, i don't give a fcuk what anyone says they are still one of the best drivers cars around for the money . Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2013, 04:31 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: I know what you mean most cars are boring compare to the 306. I enjoy my 306s love them in fact. Just thinking I ought to be a little more sensible save my money for other things. Instead of spending money on painting my smooth boot and bonnet it could go towards a nice sofa for when we have out own place. Such things like that! Smile.

Oh god, totally mate. Not blowing my own trumpet, but I forget I've been more fortunate than a lot in that I already have my own place, but shit it doesn't half eat up any spare money you would otherwise have living at home!!!

Definitely a good move to save towards other bits rather than just spending everything on the car. I did that last year when I moved in to my grans house for 6months, just spunked all my spare cash on suspension for the '6, and it hit me a bit when we got our first bills through etc after getting into the house!!
Thanks given by:
Just don what i do, spend bare minimum on the house so you buy as many shineys as you can lmao

Thanks given by:
208 gti comes out next month. £140 a month just add fuel.

I know what I would do
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2013, 05:19 PM)declantg Wrote: 208 gti comes out next month. £140 a month just add fuel.

I know what I would do

What, NOT buy it? Yeah me too!
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2013, 05:19 PM)declantg Wrote: 208 gti comes out next month. £140 a month just add fuel.

I know what I would do

But what's point in spending £140 a month on a car that you still won't own! My insurance next month will be going down a lot anyway. Already got it to £70 a month with a quickie on go compare.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2013, 05:52 PM)Ed Doe Wrote:

I know what I would do

What, NOT buy it? Yeah me too!

YEP i'll second that

Thanks given by:
It's 200bhp from showroom for a start.

Looked over a standard 208 today and inside it's a work of art

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Bet it drives like shit and will have a million electrical issues though

Thanks given by:
Will be test driving one next month so will let you know how it rides haha

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Of course it's a waste of money, in a purely financial sense. But that's not why I do it... I couldn't drive a standard car, I'd be bored to death. For me, it's all about making my car my own. Also, this is the time to waste my money, while I can lol
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2013, 06:17 PM)Curt Wrote: Of course it's a waste of money, in a purely financial sense. But that's not why I do it... I couldn't drive a standard car, I'd be bored to death. For me, it's all about making my car my own. Also, this is the time to waste my money, while I can lol

Exactly this whats the fun in driving the exact same car 10,000+ other people are driving?

Thanks given by:
Don't get me wrong, there's been times I'm like f*ck this, I'm just going to get a 208 GTi or whatever, stop fannying around with old cars and enjoy a quick, modern, respectable car that people go "oh fair enough, he's got a nice car"...

But then I get in it, go "oooh shiny" and 30 seconds down the road I'm going "Hmm, my OMP Corsica would be nice on here..." etc etc... In a weeks time it's "Oh god 200hp is boring, strap on a BW EFR boys and lets see what the standard engine will take" ETC....

I'm never going to have a "nice respectable daily" - I've come to find that no matter what I do, I'm going to want to modify it, change things... This is why I don't yet have a car with an ECU, because it'll never work, as it'll be on my bench in bits with me reflashing it...

If you can happily drive round a car with no modifications, just leave it alone and enjoy it for what it is, fair enough, you've got more restraint than me!!!!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
In all fairness, im starting to think Tom has been right all along. Modern cars do seem to be nicer and we all know that they are substantially more reliable than 10-15 year old cars.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
If that is you feelings niall how come you didnt notice how amazing a new car is when you had a brand new company skoda??

Thanks given by:
(06-02-2013, 08:43 PM)puglove Wrote: If that is you feelings niall how come you didnt notice how amazing a new car is when you had a brand new company skoda??

Because it wasnt brand new and it was on 80k when i got rid of it!

Oh and it may have been abused non stop but obviously that wont happen with my own....much
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Id heard mummy & daddy bought you this new one for eating all your veggied

Thanks given by:
eh??
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(06-02-2013, 06:19 PM)puglove Wrote:
(06-02-2013, 06:17 PM)Curt Wrote: Of course it's a waste of money, in a purely financial sense. But that's not why I do it... I couldn't drive a standard car, I'd be bored to death. For me, it's all about making my car my own. Also, this is the time to waste my money, while I can lol

Exactly this whats the fun in driving the exact same car 10,000+ other people are driving?

Couldn't of put it better my self!

That's my problem. I can't just leave a car standard. It's nice to enjoy for a little while but then gets boring.
I didn't say it would be standard though. But the mods will be bare minimum. Lowering, 17s and little touches. I was planning smooth bumpers, I already have smooth bonnet and boot but they need painting as they're in orange and yellow flip paint.

(06-02-2013, 04:05 PM)spike2002 Wrote: Got some spax shocks and springs -40mm off a hdi if you are interested mate? Wink

That would be great. But I'd rather do a swap than sell and wait.
Same with you Tom. ATM I really don't wanna spend money on mods. But I wanna do them. Most stuff I wanna do I have. But thinking for lows shocks will have a bit more comfort than coils.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Will do a swap if interested mate Wink

Thanks given by:
I'm kinda in this boat myself. I've realised that swapping and changing old cars all the time is the way for me, so I'm smartening up the DT which will be my daily and then I'll be getting myself a classic that I can swap and change whenever Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2013, 06:06 PM)declantg Wrote: It's 200bhp from showroom for a start.

Looked over a standard 208 today and inside it's a work of art

pretty sure you need to be over 21 maybe 25 D: and even then i think there is an excess for young insurance! youll never own the car and you wont be able to modify it or anything.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thinking about defecting!!! bashbarnard 23 4,143 10-01-2017, 09:50 PM
Last Post: cully
  Thinking of getting this...... MarkTD 5 1,842 27-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Last Post: Eeyore
  thinking if going defiltered???...... Piggy 15 3,350 17-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Last Post: Jimmy306uk