Big power reliability?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big power reliability?
Total 7000, a decent hotside/turbine and TUNING, not just winding everything up, I tried to blow mine up, near the end there was a few nights I was out f*cking about and was really, really surprised the abuse it took, 28-30psi and 5k+rpm Smile
Luck plays a big part with rods imo
Thanks given by:
From my experience, its luck of the draw with XUD's, ive had a stock engine throw a rod, but this was due to the diaphram splitting and drawing diesel into the air intake and the engine ran off and then a few daya later it went pop and that was totally stock.

I had several head gaskets due to a blocked matrix but wasnt as clued up as i am these days and Ruans thread on Not bypassing the matrix is key when it comes to cooling, as any difference in restriction of flow to the head can result in overheating even the slightest overheating can cause problems.

Iv been running 28psi on TD04 for a good 6 months now and 169bhp 240ft lbs and hasnt really ever gone over 85 degrees coolant temp, its due a service. as ruan says it is very noticable when you need to change the oil, i can certainly feel a drop in power, i use 5w40 fully synthetic cant remember what brand but its good stuff.

Ive always found if you service regulary and dont thrash it every day you stand a chance but for what they cost its worth having a spare block to hand IMO

As for clutch im running a standard one atm but will be putting my lightened flywheel and new cg paddle on in the next week or so with new cable and fork arm bushes
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(29-01-2013, 10:41 PM)Ruan Wrote: Just a quick FYI Anto, those pipes won't be doing the turbo any good, they absolutely ra*e the thrust bearing due to the vacuum placed on the compressor wheel, even though they reduce the power, the turbo will be getting a pasting due to them!

I know, not good Sad
Its that or no filter, cos there is feck all room around that side of the engine to get a decent size feed into the turbo.

What have you got on the vnt?
Thanks given by:
Suprised skimming the pistons hasnt been mentioned yet Wink
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I think it's luck of the draw, I had a td04 on my engine running 35ish psi and was fone for 4 months giong it death every day never serviced it or anything

I then put the set up on my new d turbo I used quality oils and did a full service the engine had done less miles than the car stated above and was only running 25psi and it spat a rod within 6 weeks

Where's the logic I don't know
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
I could never surpass 180hp reliably, as soon as I tried I shit something. I think if you have the ideal turbo/pump setup and you're making good power midrange its possible to reach it on torque but the limitations of stock injectors and cylinder pressures have a big part in when your shits gonna hit the pavement if you're pushing higher rpm's or mental boost. If you can make it produce the torque midrange without excessive boost by just using a really suited efficient turbo its possible, and I think Ruan so far is the only person to achieve this, but then the problem moves to other areas like gasket. 170hp is about the limit if you want something semi-reliable as a daily but you need to be carrying water with you at all times, or a nappy for your engine when it poos itself.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2013, 06:52 PM)anto Wrote:
(29-01-2013, 10:41 PM)Ruan Wrote: Just a quick FYI Anto, those pipes won't be doing the turbo any good, they absolutely ra*e the thrust bearing due to the vacuum placed on the compressor wheel, even though they reduce the power, the turbo will be getting a pasting due to them!

I know, not good Sad
Its that or no filter, cos there is feck all room around that side of the engine to get a decent size feed into the turbo.

What have you got on the vnt?

On mine I have used a 55-70 reducer on the turbo, then 70mm flexibile silicone stuff over the engine mount and my filter is where the washer filler neck is. It's not the best place for a filter, but better than not having one or using the crap standard pipes.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Where did you get the flexible silicone pipe ricky?
Thanks given by:
eBay sells the stuff.

Think its MrSilicone.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2013, 10:47 PM)anto Wrote: Where did you get the flexible silicone pipe ricky?

I used this:
CLICKY

Really strong stuff actually.

CLICKY 2
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Does the pipe not get squashed when the,bonnet is closed?
Thanks given by:
Don't think so, theres quite a bit of room there.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Running decent power with reliability Andy annear 27 5,367 07-01-2014, 02:55 AM
Last Post: mcglynn
  Bit of advice needed in the name of reliability! n0v0s 19 3,140 25-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Last Post: mark_airey