Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum
I am not surprised you will need a buzz gun at that fucker! be built like a brick shit house i bet!
Thanks given by:
Man that thing is huge lol

Also i can't believe your actually doing this! please for the love of god see it through mate Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
buzz gun will pay for itself with the amount of effort its going to take with this build!
Thanks given by:
(10-11-2016, 06:13 AM)procta Wrote: I am not surprised you will need a buzz gun at that fucker! be built like a brick shit house i bet!
Oh it is, the gearshift linkage alone weighed about as much as my BMX!
It was certainly built to last.

(10-11-2016, 07:42 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Man that thing is huge lol

Also i can't believe your actually doing this! please for the love of god see it through mate Smile
It's not as big as Ruan and Darren made out if I'm honest, obviously it's still pretty big but you know what I mean.

I don't think it'll be a problem seeing it through once it's in and running and for that I only need engine mounts, a starter, a battery and the oil pick up to flip the sump.

(10-11-2016, 10:09 AM)Eeyore Wrote: buzz gun will pay for itself with the amount of effort its going to take with this build!
I think I might finish mine off, it's already getting a bit old and creaky
Thanks given by:
Good to see progress on the block chris and not the steering wheel cover this time! Smile
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Managed to move the engine up my drive way and onto a sheet of ply, all in it took about 2 hours but I'm happy it's done as my drive looks alot neater and it gave me a chance to sweep up all the dead leaves under the truck. Time lapse video of my struggles coming later.

Thanks given by:
Very cool project, 

Here's a 4000hp 6bt drag car engine for a bit of inspiration regarding turbos

[Image: fullsizeoutput_2b3_zpscafaigfi.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah that'll be an ally block and ally head and super internals. Basically a £20k engine before you bolt turbos or fuel pumps on.

Anyway engine move video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVCFsFOb9s8
Thanks given by:
its only took you about 2 months if I am right for you to move the lump :p
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2016, 12:17 AM)procta Wrote: its only took you about 2 months if I am right for you to move the lump :p

6 weeks but who's counting.
Thanks given by:
i didnt realise it didnt have to move so shorter distance.
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2016, 03:08 PM)Eeyore Wrote: i didnt realise it didnt have to move so shorter distance.

This... 

I can't help but think you've over thought moving the engine  Undecided 
Maybe there's more to than just using the crane to move it backwards which you did for the final quarter of the video?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2016, 04:42 PM)ginge191 Wrote:
(08-12-2016, 03:08 PM)Eeyore Wrote: i didnt realise it didnt have to move so shorter distance.

This... 

Maybe there's more to than just using the crane to move it backwards which you did for the final quarter of the video?

He does mention the lift wheels sinking into the tarmac. A Vauxhall X25XE and gearbox can do that on a lift in warmer weather and thats probably half the weight.  IIRC Welshpug said it was 450kg all in?! That's a seriously frigging heavy bit of dead weight to be mauling around!

That being said I still think the video needs the Benny Hill theme tune adding to it but that's because I'm too old Blush
Thanks given by:
GET ON WITH IT!

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
i believe its 450 kg dry, without a gearbox.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2016, 06:59 PM)cully Wrote: GET ON WITH IT!

QFT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks given by:
Yeah literally 10ft across 3 parking spaces and up about 18"

(08-12-2016, 04:42 PM)ginge191 Wrote:

This... 

You might not notice but in the latter part of the video I'm lifting the engine a little, picking up the gearbox and swinging it 4" forward, dropping the engine then moving the crane 4" forward and then repeat. That is an absolutely painstaking way to move an engine especially with the weight that I have to lift every time I move it that 4".

As for having overthought it, can you think of a better way to move it considering the weight makes the crane sink into the tarmac? Even when I had it spread between my dolly and the crane (so 10 castors) it was still sinking.

(08-12-2016, 05:15 PM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: A Vauxhall X25XE and gearbox can do that on a lift in warmer weather and thats probably half the weight.  IIRC Welshpug said it was 450kg all in?! That's a seriously frigging heavy bit of dead weight to be mauling around!

That being said I still think the video needs the Benny Hill theme tune adding to it but that's because I'm too old Blush
I agree with the Benny Hill Tune but youtube get funny about you using music which you don't own the rights to.

As for weight I reckon 750kg as it sits.

(08-12-2016, 07:26 PM)zx_volcane Wrote:
QFT

I will when it's warmer and I have the £££££.
Thanks given by:
I'm looking forward to seeing you trying to get that thing into that truck. It's going to be a nightmare lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2016, 07:26 PM)zx_volcane Wrote:

QFT

Double quote for double truth

I know this is a little kettle/pot here...
But 7 pages and youve removed the bed of the truck and moved an engine 10feet
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(11-12-2016, 03:21 PM)Niall Wrote: I'm looking forward to seeing you trying to get that thing into that truck. It's going to be a nightmare lol

I reckon lowering the car under it will be easier Itwasntme
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(11-12-2016, 03:21 PM)Niall Wrote: I'm looking forward to seeing you trying to get that thing into that truck. It's going to be a nightmare lol
I don't know, I know that it fits length wise, there is plenty of room width wise and height isn't an issue as I expect it to be coming out the bonnet anyway. You can come and watch when I do it as a couple of members have already offered to come and help so I'm sure we'll get it done.

(11-12-2016, 05:48 PM)Piggy Wrote: I know this is a little kettle/pot here...
But 7 pages and youve removed the bed of the truck and moved an engine 10feet
I take our point and will raise you a quote from post number 1
(26-05-2016, 08:48 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: ......It's a long term project......
I never had any intention of doing this quickly and IIRC have said to several people that it would probably be at least summer 2018 before it hit the road. I'm in no rush and it's for fun so I'm not working on it in the cold and wet.

I can't do shit without engine mounts, I could make them but there is a cost to that and with my measuring skills it's just easier to import some from 'murica that are designed for a cummins retrofiit. I haven't bought these yet due to not really having the money but also I think the dollar is going to take a fall again when PE Trump becomes the actual President in January thus lowering the price of the mounts. Likewise I'm hedging my bets on uncertainty around the French and German elections to weaken the Euro by more than the Brexit farce weakens the pound before I buy the adapter I need to go between my shifter and the ZF box. These are considerations hat most people don't have with their projects.

Anyway just to be a pedant I'd like to point out that I've moved the engine 100miles and 10ft

(11-12-2016, 07:42 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote:

I reckon lowering the car under it will be easier  Itwasntme
Yeah that's the plan, far easier to move the truck than the engine. Worst case scenario it's under £130 to hire a telehandler for the day.
Thanks given by:
i gather there are cummins powered rangers already?
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(12-12-2016, 12:21 PM)welshpug Wrote: i gather there are cummins powered rangers already?

Not that I have seen (and the US Ranger is a different vehicle anyway) but I found something with the chassis rails a similar distance apart so I can just buy the mounts off that.
Thanks given by:
(12-12-2016, 09:40 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Anyway just to be a pedant I'd like to point out that I've moved the engine 100miles and struggled with the last 10ft

Corrected for you Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
(12-12-2016, 12:51 PM)cully Wrote:
(12-12-2016, 09:40 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Anyway just to be a pedant I'd like to point out that I've moved the engine 100miles and struggled with the last 10ft

Corrected for you Wink

Cheers mate, it's a very fair point.
Thanks given by:
Not know anyone local with a tractor or something? Guess not where you live hmmm, If it was me, id just make the mounts up myself with 10-20mm sheet steel, just due to the custom nature of it, would have thought finding something totally bolt on for a conversion like this would be unlikely? But appreciate that isnt something thats as easy for you to do. We put two mounts on the motor and two on the transmission when we put it in a landrover, and havent had any problems with it at all to this day, just make sure mounts are good and stout, and rubbers are beefy, as the motor weighs a tonne and will sway with torque big time!

Will be epic when its done, motors will pull from anywhere!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Indeed, get it dangling in the hole and get some C.A.D on the go.

(cardboard aided design)
Thanks given by:
(12-12-2016, 02:39 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Not know anyone local with a tractor or something? Guess not where you live hmmm, If it was me, id just make the mounts up myself with 10-20mm sheet steel, just due to the custom nature of it, would have thought finding something totally bolt on for a conversion like this would be unlikely? But appreciate that isnt something thats as easy for you to do. We put two mounts on the motor and two on the transmission when we put it in a landrover, and havent had any problems with it at all to this day, just make sure mounts are good and stout, and rubbers are beefy, as the motor weighs a tonne and will sway with torque big time!

Will be epic when its done, motors will pull from anywhere!

Believe it or not I do know someone with a tractor, there is a bloke across the road (on my quiet and very residential street) who owns a mint restored tractor (don't know what it is) but sadly it doesn't have forks or anything on the front. I don't know anyone else local with anything suitable. Gutted as if I was still in London I know a couple of people who own horse riding stables and thus have suitable tractors.

I have considered making the engine mounts but to do that I'd need to have the engine in and out a dozen times plus the cost of the steel, plus not having a welder that can weld metal that thick (obviously I could tack it and then pay someone to weld) plus getting rubbers and my inability to accurately measure and then cut anything. It just makes sense for me to blow a few hundred quid on mounts that will fit and work and not fall apart or give up at an inconvenient moment and save me alot of work.

The gearbox mounts I can do myself as I can support the gearbox from above and then work on it from underneath using some 3mm wall box. Also I can't find a suitable ready made mount.

(12-12-2016, 03:52 PM)welshpug Wrote: Indeed, get it dangling in the hole and get some C.A.D on the go.

(cardboard aided design)

And after CAD you gotta get MAD

(MDF Aided Design)
Thanks given by:
If only I lived near london, would be all over this project if I did! Personally think it would be more win with a TH400 behind it and big 9" rear end, then you can really lay into the motor and have some serious fun, that and plate up the chassis somewhat from what it is at the moment!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
If you need another engine crane whenever, for whatever. Gimme a shout.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project e46 v8 scratch that s14 vhate drift car xudlingo 34 13,088 03-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Last Post: xudlingo
  Daze's 400bhp Nissan Silvia drift car Dazecoop 45 18,238 02-02-2016, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Dazecoop
  The Landrover Cummins (12v 6BT) Conversion darrenjlobb 76 34,233 29-11-2015, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Danny Wideboy