306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Marques (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum (/showthread.php?tid=34172)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - Dum-Dum - 26-05-2016

Having wanted something to put a 5.9 Cummins 6BT in for a very long time I have finally gone out and bought myself a project. In fact I picked up a pickup, a hundred quids worth of eBay's finest scrap in the form of an engine less 2WD single cab mk1 Ford Ranger.

I hired a trailer and down plated it and just managed to make the numbers work to tow it home within the capabilities of my licence/car.

Here she sits at home

Plenty of room for activities in the engine bay. If you look at Darren's Cummins Land Rover thread that these mounts look pretty good especially when you bear in mind that the Ranger rails are further apart. I really need to give it a good clean and paint but there is alot of stuff that needs to come out of there first.

I started by cleaning up the bed, it was ply lined but the ply was soaked and covered in muck with plants growing from underneath. It didn't take long to pry it up and get the mud off leaving a surprisingly good looking bed, I'll paint it at some point but for now I cleaned the back end with some petrol and removed the cover from the opening mechanism so I could drop the tailgate easilly.

Next up was getting rid of the sign writing glue, a can of petrolly-mis-fuel and a few rags sorted that rather effectively after the fudge wheel decided just to make a mess, A T-Cut should finish it but there is worse concerns than polish with the bodywork at the moment. This is how she stands. My next job is bolting he pedal box back in and clearing everything else out the bayso it can be cleaned, painted and engine fitted.

It's a long term project to stop me doing naughty things to the Scooby. Plans are Cummins 6BT out a 45 with the standard ZF box, Ford F series shifter, custom prop, 3.31 rear axle, much bigger wheels (to gear it down further) HX55 turbo mounted through the bonnet on a flipped manifold, FMIC, 4200 gov spring and eventually a 14mm head for the Bosch VE from america.

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - C2K - 26-05-2016

Not sure if trolling..

Good luck regardless. Watch out for fjords.

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - zx_volcane - 26-05-2016

[Image: 483756.jpg]

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - darrenjlobb - 26-05-2016

(26-05-2016, 09:05 PM)C2K Wrote: Not sure if trolling..

Good luck regardless.  Watch out for fjords.

Based on the ammount of questions I have been asked about the cummins motor / zx tranny and other conversion related things, id say he is fairly serious Wink

And along side that, I really hope you do commit / see this through Chris, as the 12v cummins is just an epic motor, I hate landrovers tbh, however I will happily drive the cummins, never stop smiling! Pickup is one step better really, and what we would have done if Chris wasnt into his landrovers!

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - Niall - 26-05-2016

IF you commit to this it will be epic

Im not holding my breath though Tongue

Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - bashbarnard - 26-05-2016

Good luck my man. When ounhet some money and get her rolling along a bit need a hand buildig stuff up i may be able to pop down and help Smile

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - Dum-Dum - 26-05-2016

(26-05-2016, 09:05 PM)C2K Wrote: Not sure if trolling..

Good luck regardless.  Watch out for fjords.
Definitely not a Troll, The fact it cost me far more to go and get it than the truck did itself should tell you that (£45 trailer, £7 insurance, £100 of V-Power and the M6 toll)

Shouldn't have too many water issues with the turbo mounted out through the bonnet line and a mechanical pumped engine.

(26-05-2016, 09:08 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: [Image: 483756.jpg]
That is xactly the reaction I was looking for.

(26-05-2016, 09:10 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Based on the ammount of questions I have been asked about the cummins motor / zx tranny and other conversion related things, id say he is fairly serious Wink

And along side that, I really hope you do commit / see this through Chris, as the 12v cummins is just an epic motor, I hate landrovers tbh, however I will happily drive the cummins, never stop smiling! Pickup is one step better really, and what we would have done if Chris wasnt into his landrovers!
Yeah cheers for all the help so far mate, (and some rep) it has been invaluable (even if I'm still gonna ignore you and get a 12V starter built)
I reckon if this drops straight in on the mounts there will be a ranger and a cummins in your yard withing the month for your own build.

(26-05-2016, 09:17 PM)Niall Wrote: IF you commit to this it will be epic

Im not holding my breath though Tongue
Even if I just get it to some sort of drive able stage it will be incredible.

(26-05-2016, 09:18 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Good luck my man. When ounhet some money and get her rolling along a bit need a hand buildig stuff up i may be able to pop down and help Smile

I might get you to pop over and help getting the engine fitted on the day that happens as I don'e have anywhere flat to work and half tonne on an engine crane on a slight hill is gonna be a laugh. Cheers babeSmile

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - welshpug - 26-05-2016

Hows the length of the engine looking with the engine bay?

wondered recently how good the 4bt would be, probably a good chunk lighter, iirc the 6bt is 450 kg!!  nearly 4 xud's

4bt isn't as common ive been told, not so sure on that, probably dont come up as often as they're usually found in smaller buses of which theres thousands of dennis darts about!

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - bigcheez2k3 - 26-05-2016

(26-05-2016, 09:53 PM)welshpug Wrote: Hows the length of the engine looking with the engine bay?

wondered recently how good the 4bt would be, probably a good chunk lighter, iirc the 6bt is 450 kg!!  nearly 4 xud's

4bt isn't as common ive been told, not so sure on that, probably dont come up as often as they're usually found in smaller buses of which theres thousands of dennis darts about!

I was thinking the same when I opened the thread but I'm guessing it won't have the same appeal to Chris.

Also, this is amazing.

Re: RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - darrenjlobb - 27-05-2016

(26-05-2016, 09:53 PM)welshpug Wrote: Hows the length of the engine looking with the engine bay?

Plenty of 4bt conversions about....however to me somewhat defeats the point, 80% of the reason the 6bt is such a great motor is because it's 6 cylinder, sounds absolutely musical when it's on song, no four cylinder will ever do this....seems like alot of effort to me for just "another four cylinder" with the 4bt....

And Chris, please start it on 24v, it's the best way I promise :p it's huge ampage to roll these motors over on 12v....

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - Poodle - 27-05-2016

Hahaha good man, about time you started playing with dervs again. You better not get bored of this half-way through, however, when you do Jonny and I will probably buy it. Big Grin

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - procta - 27-05-2016

best of luck with it dum dum, and I hope it all goes well for you. I hope you see this right the way through to the end, so you can enjoy it!

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - Piggy - 27-05-2016

About time we had another cummins on the forum.

Derv for the win

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - Dum-Dum - 27-05-2016

Weight isn't particularly an issue, the truck is a hefty old beast in the first place.
Length is an interesting conundrum, I've read in some places that they are a little over 1m long which my engine bay isn't but then a land rover bay is shorter and a few people have them in land rovers.

(26-05-2016, 10:07 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote:

I was thinking the same when I opened the thread but I'm guessing it won't have the same appeal to Chris.

Also, this is amazing.
Not interested in the 4bt. Ain't no substitute for cubes!

(27-05-2016, 05:55 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Plenty of 4bt conversions about....however to me somewhat defeats the point, 80% of the reason the 6bt is such a great motor is because it's 6 cylinder, sounds absolutely musical when it's on song, no four cylinder will ever do this....seems like alot of effort to me for just "another four cylinder" with the 4bt....

And Chris, please start it on 24v, it's the best way I promise :p it's huge ampage to  roll these motors over on 12v....
Agreed on the 6 over the 4.

If you use the watts/volts x amps Triangle you can work it out
The 24v starter is 4kw 4000/24 = 167amps. If I had a 12v 4kw starter built it would need 333amps which considering a decent battery has 540amps starting power it should cause no issue

(27-05-2016, 06:13 AM)Poodle Wrote: Hahaha good man, about time you started playing with dervs again. You better not get bored of this half-way through, however, when you do Jonny and I will probably buy it. Big Grin
I knew you 2 would love it. I think once the engine is in and running that'll be every bit of motivation I need to finish the rest.

(27-05-2016, 06:45 AM)procta Wrote: best of luck with it dum dum, and I hope it all goes well for you.  I hope you see this right the way through to the end, so you can enjoy it!
Cheers mate

(27-05-2016, 07:04 AM)Piggy Wrote: About time we had another cummins on the forum.

Derv for the win
Yes it is about time, wanted one for so long and now I have the opportunity, motive and means so it's gotta be done.

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - 1616six - 27-05-2016

I love this and I love the plans, I just really hope it actually gets done'

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - Jonny81191 - 27-05-2016

Oh dear..

Love the plan, please do it!

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - Eeyore - 27-05-2016

itll be interesting to see if this actually happens. best of luck...

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - Magenta Sunset - 27-05-2016

would you like to borrow my sand-blaster for 'the bay'?

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - Ruan - 27-05-2016

I so want you to actually do this, I really hope you see it through as it would be epic. As always, give me a shout if you need a hand, I'm not that far away.

Also, seriously, 24v start it ffs... It's not worth the faff as Darren has said.

However, tenner on scrapped before the end of the year Wink

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - welshpug - 27-05-2016

4kw?! f*ck, most psa ones are 1.2kw at the most!

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - mr_fish - 27-05-2016

[Image: 0ff49113f737f6725161e579f345863f0a8b6d82...60b024.jpg]

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - darrenjlobb - 27-05-2016

(27-05-2016, 10:49 AM)welshpug Wrote: 4kw?! f*ck, most psa ones are 1.2kw at the most!

Its a 5.9L long stroked diesel......Hardly a surprise!

Chris what rear end is in these trucks? as the cummins will make mincemeat of most stock rear ends!

(27-05-2016, 10:49 AM)welshpug Wrote: 4kw?! f*ck, most psa ones are 1.2kw at the most!

Yup, and PSA starters are actually pretty bloody powerful compared to what other manufacturers fit!

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - Toms306 - 27-05-2016

We're not even half way through the year yet, no way will it last to the end! Tongue

(27-05-2016, 08:48 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: I love this and I love the plans, I just really hope it actually gets done'
Cheers mate, I promise I'll try.

(27-05-2016, 08:52 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Love the plan, please do it!
Cheers man, hoping I can persuade you and Poodle to come up with the crane and give me a hand swinging it in.

(27-05-2016, 09:12 AM)Eeyore Wrote: itll be interesting to see if this actually happens. best of luck...
Cheers mate, I'll definitely get it drive able, whether I ever get enough boost and the 14mm head will be another matter. It's not gonna be fast progress as everything is f*cking expensive. £500 for bigger wheels and tyres, £200+ for a custom prop shaft, £250 for a turbo, £100 intercooler, £100 big rad, £500 for the rear end, £100 to get the shifter sorted, £250 custom starter, £300 to get enough bits to knock up a 3" exhaust (and £500 if I want to go 4" or 5") that alongside everything else, all the sundries and an engine. I was thinking £3-4k but Darren says whatever number you think double it.

(27-05-2016, 10:06 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: would you like to borrow my sand-blaster for 'the bay'?
I think I'm gonna get the worst of it with the wire brush then cover the body with hammerite and the chassis with waxoyl but thanks for the offer.

(27-05-2016, 10:17 AM)Ruan Wrote: I so want you to actually do this, I really hope you see it through as it would be epic. As always, give me a shout if you need a hand, I'm not that far away.

Also, seriously, 24v start it ffs... It's not worth the faff as Darren has said.
As per my last post, mathematically it should be perfectly possible to start it on 12v. A custom starter motor is just as cheap as a rewound 24V one or all the extra wiring, batteries, relay and £100 12/24v switch that Darren used.

Also KISS! Keep it simple stupid. I hate wiring so any way I can simplify the wiring will be of great benefit.

And yeah, you know you are always welcome round here, I was probably gonna ask for your help fitting the 4200 gov spring as I break things every time I try taking the top off a pump.

Yeah man 5.5hp starter motor LOL

(27-05-2016, 11:31 AM)mr_fish Wrote: [Image: 0ff49113f737f6725161e579f345863f0a8b6d82...60b024.jpg]
Thank you Smile

(27-05-2016, 11:54 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote:

Its a 5.9L long stroked diesel......Hardly a surprise!

Chris what rear end is in these trucks? as the cummins will make mincemeat of most stock rear ends!
The standard rear end is probably shit*, the 3.31 should handle 500lb/ft+ How much exactly I don't think anyone has ever tested.

*When I say shit I mean substantially better than a defender one but not good enough for a tuned cummins.

(27-05-2016, 12:06 PM)Toms306 Wrote: We're not even half way through the year yet, no way will it last to the end! Tongue
Get bent sperm breath.

It'll actually end up more complex to get a 12v starter working, seriously!

As I think Darren has said, the motors are totally different as the only one that came as 12v are the NA 6B, which use a different bellhousing...

(27-05-2016, 12:56 PM)Ruan Wrote: It'll actually end up more complex to get a 12v starter working, seriously!

As I think Darren has said, the motors are totally different as the only one that came as 12v are the NA 6B, which use a different bellhousing...

No it won't. I do appreciate what Darren says but I can either get a custom 12v motor built or the 24v rewound, I'm not gonna try faffing with any of the 12v ones that allegedly fit but don't.

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - mr_fish - 27-05-2016

The 84-93 Leyland Roadrunner (prior to the DAF 45) ran a 12v system. Cummins 6 cylinder. Think i spoke to Chris about it when he was having issues with the 24v setup and there was something to do with the flywheel was different, though maybe worth looking into.

(27-05-2016, 01:51 PM)mr_fish Wrote: The 84-93 Leyland Roadrunner (prior to the DAF 45) ran a 12v system. Cummins 6 cylinder. Think i spoke to Chris about it when he was having issues with the 24v setup and there was something to do with the flywheel was different, though maybe worth looking into.
Yeah that's a ball ache to get parts for sadly so no.

After finishing playing with the Scooby I decided I'd potter about with the truck some more. I found that I can sit in the engine bay to work on stuff.

I removed the battery tray which was the most over engineered car part going, I think it was held in with a dozen bolts which were mainly M8. Also got rid of the washer bottle (which will be returning), the PAS reservoir, the fuel filter and a load of brackets. I then gave the arches a bit of a wipe over and they came out surprisingly well.

RE: Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum - Danny Wideboy - 27-05-2016

Like.