The Landrover Cummins (12v 6BT) Conversion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Landrover Cummins (12v 6BT) Conversion
Several people have asked about this, so thought id make a thread showing bit of what is going on!

Not taking huge amount of photos as its being done asap as got pile of other projects to get on with!

Basically a stock 300tdi, dropping a five nine cummins in it (if you dont know what that motor is, you don't need to be reading this thread Wink ) , dropping truck cab on it and cab stacks etc.

So step one was pull the tdi motor out (tired motor but still running fine, trans is pretty shot though:

[Image: IMG_20141116_140826.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20141116_140830.jpg]

The more observant of you will notice my bonnet stacked Hilux in the background hehe.

The motors side by side, 2.5 vs 5.9, you know it makes sence...

[Image: IMG_20141116_155652.jpg]

Mounted landy transfer box to leyland box with some other changed parts to lengthen up the final drive. Also gave engine quick overhaul (water pump / fuel pump / belts / tensioners etcetc) but nothing to serious as motor is mint quite honestly.

Initial drop in (to get idea for what needs chopping, moving, blah etc

[Image: IMG_20141123_141046.jpg]

[Image: 2014-11-23.jpg]

Stock cross member was an issue:

[Image: IMG_20141129_115224.jpg]

Out again to commence the cutting

[Image: IMG_20141129_124501.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20141129_124513.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20141129_124516.jpg]

Cut of stock engine mounts / cross member mounts off the chassis:

[Image: IMG_20141129_134034.jpg]

Welded on some older 200tdi style mounts, 2 inchs foward from stock, and on passenger side 2 inchs higher with plate behind (motor mounts are un even on cummins)

[Image: IMG_20141129_140248.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20141129_140254.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20141129_143136.jpg]

Engine up on the front mounts:

[Image: IMG_20141129_160508.jpg]

Now a bit of improvisation to make new rear cross member, needs to move back, down, and more of a "hoop" to clear the bigger tranny:

[Image: IMG_20141129_175523.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20141129_182905.jpg]

Mocking up, ex engine mounts being used for tranny mounts:

[Image: IMG_20141130_152557.jpg]

Will make up cross member later once over the pit.

Now that engine is "in on mount" took the roof off (putting truck cab on anyway) and pushed it in over the pit.

[Image: IMG_20141130_164806.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20141130_171606.jpg]

Still alot of work to do, but at least the motor is in!

Next steps will be custom length props, mounting air tanks, air lines, air clutch cylinder, throttle linkages, custom transfer box linkages / diff lock engage. 4/5inch pipe / stack behind the cab, fab up some intake ducts, cooling, boost, and everything else required to hook the thing up!

I know its not 306 related, but might interest some of you!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
"might" interest....
Soooo epiccccs!
Man I'm all ready to go get me some dimensions and start measuring up the 306 bay!! Haha!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
This is bloody epic. Looking at the engines next to each other, i didnt think that cummins would fit in without a serious bit of shoe horning!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
O-M-F-G-!!!!!!!!

HeartHeartHeartI want one of these more than I want my next breath.HeartHeartHeart

Also repped for
Quote: if you dont know what that motor is, you don't need to be reading this thread
Thanks given by:
DEFINITELY of interest to me and something I'd LOVE to do one day, especially as I'm after a 110 to tow my disco based trialer with.
I've seen a few Defenders with this conversion done on Utube. Such a sweet sounding engine and the torque appears to be immense, which is what I need really.

What did you do to alter the final drive gearing then?
Thanks given by:
(30-11-2014, 09:52 PM)Piggy Wrote: "might" interest....
Soooo epiccccs!
Man I'm all ready to go get me some dimensions and start measuring up the 306 bay!! Haha!!

(30-11-2014, 09:54 PM)Niall Wrote: This is bloody epic. Looking at the engines next to each other, i didnt think that cummins would fit in without a serious bit of shoe horning!

Haha trust me, there is simply NO WAY its going in a 306, these are BIG motors, we have had to chop out alot more than what you can see in the photos! the center console / bulkhead is going to have to be all plated in once we have finished for a much bigger trans tunnel etc, the box is much large, and everything is further back...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
450 odd Kilo's for a 6BT I believe, over roughly 130 for an XUD...

I think the old TDI landrover is around 200 kilos.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwqGaVU8Vug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLxM8Xfbp0Q
Thanks given by:
Something like 200bhp arent these?
And 400ft lbs at 1500rpm?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Mmm, lazy power. PERFECT for towing Smile
Thanks given by:
"only" 160 bhp for the early ones i think, 400 lbft indeed.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Yeah but very early ones...and im sure it will get a quick tune up by DJLobb!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah standard they have a 12mm Bosch VE and a Holset turbo. There is alot of potential for just winding it up a little.
Thanks given by:
Lol they will do 1200hp all day long with a p pump and 55's, but we don't have a drive line for that, its not a big power build this time :p
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
This is all kinds of epic, can't believe you only thought SOME of us MIGHT be interested in this! lol Love the noise these engines make, will be watching this project with eager eyes! Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
*Cough* Bagsey the 300 lump please *Cough*
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge for prime minister.
Poodle Wrote:I reckon Norledge has got it on the head mind.
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge gets my vote tbh.
Thanks given by:
Cummins lump is epic, Landrover is epic... Yep i like this.

Also that 300tdi.. for sale?
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
wait till I show my dad this! He loves his landy to bits!
known you Darren you will push for more power, we just have to wait Tongue
Thanks given by:
Do you think the transfer box will be able to put up with the power they don't last long even with a 300 TDI in front of them do you need a camplate for the Audi pump we have a mountain of pumps at work I could check for you if you want to see if there is one any good for you a pump number that the camplate came from would be handy good luck with the build
Thanks given by:
(01-12-2014, 07:51 PM)vtec power gt Wrote: Do you think the transfer box will be able to put up with the power they don't last long even with a 300 TDI in front of them do you need a camplate for the Audi pump we have a mountain of pumps at work I could check for you if you want to see if there is one any good for you a pump number that the camplate came from would be handy good luck with the build

Other people seem to have good success with the stock transfer box, the diffs seem to give more issues tbh...

And yes, if you have ANY 6 cylinder VE's lying around, could you fire me a photo of them / the pump number on them? Cash waiting for even bits of pumps..
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
What did you do to alter the final drive gearing then?
Thanks given by:
(01-12-2014, 09:12 PM)madwelshman Wrote: What did you do to alter the final drive gearing then?

Well the plan is to stick custom gears in the transfer box / possibly change the diffs, we have currently put the longest " off the shelf (Cheap option) gears in there, idea is to get it together, see how it drives, if its no good, then need to start looking into other options, axles semi need upgrading anyway, so might be an all in one kinda thing, but main thing is just get it together / running, and then we have something to base decisions on...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
I'm guessing you've got a disco transfer box then to obtain the higher gearing in high box.
Diffs are the same Defender & disco, unless Salisbury aren't they, so nothing to gain there.
Thanks given by:
Needed to flip the sump around to clear front diff, so extended / re routed the oil pickup to accommodate:

[Image: IMG_20141205_170758.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20141205_172901.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20141205_173611.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20141205_173618.jpg]

Cleaned sump up:

[Image: IMG_20141205_182427.jpg]

And re fitted:

[Image: IMG_20141205_191625.jpg]

Just started work on the gear lever, There is a ZF 5 speed stick shifter , but cant find one in the uk, and going to cost around 150+ to import one, so going to try and make the landrover one work..Can make it work ok, but falcrum point is a bit high really, may try chopping in half, but dont have spare welder to run spool gun to weld ally at the moment, so posing a bit of an issue!

[Image: IMG_20141205_192840.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20141205_193043.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Never seen anyone use silicone pipe inside a sump before!

Nice work on the conversion, looks ace Smile
[Image: signaturerrf_zps1c82612b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Takes balls to even start a project like this.......
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
No problems there.

Darren has huge iron ones
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(06-12-2014, 04:40 PM)tenwierdufos Wrote: Never seen anyone use silicone pipe inside a sump before!

Nice work on the conversion, looks ace Smile

To be fair, its not ideal, and its not acaully what I intend on leaving there...but dont have any steel tube of the correct length at the moment.

The hose is VERY heavy duty / steel wrapped and oil / diesel rated, but the "outside" of the hose in theory isn't, so although would last years I wouldn't recommend it.

We have an oil pressure gauge to mount to keep eye on it, and will weld up a proper suction tube at some point once its up and running!

Bit more work today, gear stick was needed, using original ZF box from the DAF, so used to have cable setup / no use at all i a landrover where you need a stick right out the box.

Top of the ZF:

[Image: IMG_20141206_141155.jpg]

So made up an adapter plate to sit between the two halves: (Yup, last two bolt holes torched out with plasma cutter due to epic fail in the pillar drill department!!!!

[Image: IMG_20141206_141413.jpg]

Stripped down the OEM tower / lever:

[Image: IMG_20141205_193043.jpg]

Welded the ZF ball on the end and extended the lever:

[Image: Wgn8D_cXDPMV6anms6B7cq4JmGCRwoSsWiNpjUU-...40-h987-no]

Then mounted it all up:

[Image: IMG_20141206_144110.jpg]

OEM+ hehe
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Thats sweet!! Nice work
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
God I love this project, makes me think of doing something crazy to my landy.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cummins Drift Truck a la Dum-Dum Dum-Dum 274 109,378 01-08-2017, 09:20 PM
Last Post: procta